Why not get some supporters from Linux?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

classicgamelover85

Why not get some supporters from Linux?

Post by classicgamelover85 »

We're opening up the donations again for some full-time developers. Why not ask linux if they wouldn't mind making a small contribution to this? Seems they'd donate a little too.... if somehow they could be convinced this would be something to put some money into. A small donation is all we are asking right? i bet this project could go much faster if linux stepped in and helped out. Anyone else agree? Or is this a stupid idea? I thought it was a good idea, but I'm thinking there might be some complications I'm not aware of. Thanks.

Maybe not just donation support either but maybe also some development help. I wish I could help but I'm not a programmer and know very little about OS language. Little to none I should say. I have installed React OS and evaluated it though which was as much as I could do. As far as donating to the project goes, I feel that's nobody's business. But anywho. If we had more supporters I'm sure this OS could take off!!!

The biggest issue is that Windows no longer supports XP and my GOD is the new WindowsOS dreadful!!!! I do not want to have to use windows vista, 7, or 8, or 8.1... they are Satan-awful. I puke just thinking about those poorly made piles of baby-vomit. excuse me, rant alert. But I digress. My only hope is that reactOS gets finished.... but my friend and I were joking that it'd be finished in like 50 years from now... cuz at this rate that's what it looks like....
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Why not get some supporters from Linux?

Post by EmuandCo »

Linux Kernel coders won't help us at all. We are not the slightest bit a Linux OS. So I dont think it's a good idea.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

We're opening up the donations again for some full-time developers. Why not ask linux if they wouldn't mind making a small contribution to this? Seems they'd donate a little too.... if somehow they could be convinced this would be something to put some money into. A small donation is all we are asking right? i bet this project could go much faster if linux stepped in and helped out. Anyone else agree? Or is this a stupid idea? I thought it was a good idea, but I'm thinking there might be some complications I'm not aware of. Thanks.

Maybe not just donation support either but maybe also some development help. I wish I could help but I'm not a programmer and know very little about OS language. Little to none I should say. I have installed React OS and evaluated it though which was as much as I could do. As far as donating to the project goes, I feel that's nobody's business. But anywho. If we had more supporters I'm sure this OS could take off!!!

The biggest issue is that Windows no longer supports XP and my GOD is the new WindowsOS dreadful!!!! I do not want to have to use windows vista, 7, or 8, or 8.1... they are Satan-awful. I puke just thinking about those poorly made piles of baby-vomit. excuse me, rant alert. But I digress. My only hope is that reactOS gets finished.... but my friend and I were joking that it'd be finished in like 50 years from now... cuz at this rate that's what it looks like....
i have to agree with you anything newer then xp is down right trash vista is a ram hug windows 7 is not to far behind and windows 8 is just a fails miserably on just about everything, btw i saw the windows 9 preview and sadly it will still have metro forced down our throats. http://www.zdnet.com/can-windows-9-save ... 000025100/

here's a comment from a user called Vbitrate

Nobody wants desktop Windows with an interface designed for a phone
The trouble started when Microsoft's Windows Phone failed. It has less than 10% market share, even less than Windows Mobile that it replaced.

Microsoft panicked. It decided to force people to use the Windows Phone interface, and so it put the Windows Phone Metro interface on desktop Windows. Of course nobody wanted it.

In Windows 9, everyone wants Microsoft to get rid of the Metro interface. But Microsoft still wants to force people to use it. So Windows 9 will still be the same disaster Windows 8 was.

Apple is in a better position. OS X and iOS are essentially the same OS with different interfaces.

Enterprise will increasingly use Linux, rather than put up with products they don't want, such as the disastrous Metro interface seen on Windows 8, and soon Windows 9.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Dave3434 wrote:

i have to agree with you anything newer then xp is down right trash vista is a ram hug windows 7 is not to far behind and windows 8 is just a fails miserably on just about everything, btw i saw the windows 9 preview and sadly it will still have metro forced down our throats. http://www.zdnet.com/can-windows-9-save ... 000025100/

The trouble started when Microsoft's Windows Phone failed. It has less than 10% market share, even less than Windows Mobile that it replaced.

Microsoft panicked. It decided to force people to use the Windows Phone interface, and so it put the Windows Phone Metro interface on desktop Windows. Of course nobody wanted it.

In Windows 9, everyone wants Microsoft to get rid of the Metro interface. But Microsoft still wants to force people to use it. So Windows 9 will still be the same disaster Windows 8 was.

Apple is in a better position. OS X and iOS are essentially the same OS with different interfaces.

Enterprise will increasingly use Linux, rather than put up with products they don't want, such as the disastrous Metro interface seen on Windows 8, and soon Windows 9.

But alas, since more and more apps and drivers will become 'new MSversion only' one can't but evolve as well. There is no use in staying with strict XP compatibility when all the apps and drivers in the future - certainly now that support has been cancelled for XP - will be for new versions. What are you going to do? Create a workaround for every new app on the market which doesn't work with XP anymore? Re-engineer every driver that hasn't an XP-variant anymore? That's infeasible.

Yes, you can hold onto backwards-compatibility to XP, far more so then MS - which will be an advantage for some time to come, since many still use XP these days, have specific apps running on it, or just like it... and those might consider an XP-like clone which Is up to date (at least on security). So that is an opportunity - being alluded here by vicamaral /IGG project and others already.

However, there is also no doubt you need to move forward too, and need a strong compatibility with the other windows versions as well, certainly with win7, it being the most popular Windows OS after XP.
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

However, there is also no doubt you need to move forward too, and need a strong compatibility with the other windows versions as well, certainly with win7, it being the most popular Windows OS after XP.
Win 8 (9?) makes Win 7 look even better. It is a shame it is not easy getting Win 7 since Microsoft wants to sell Win 8/8.1. I am glad we were able to get Win 7 at work. 8-)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

Dave3434 wrote:i have to agree with you anything newer then xp is down right trash vista is a ram hug windows 7 is not to far behind and windows 8 is just a fails miserably on just about everything, btw i saw the windows 9 preview and sadly it will still have metro forced down our throats. http://www.zdnet.com/can-windows-9-save ... 000025100/

It seems too simple to blame the decline or rise of an operating system (x) only by the interface because it actually play many more factors (diferents architectures, manufacturer desire to take benefits of the quickest and safest way possible, etc...)

Some time ago I heard a person lauding the PalmOS interface and speaking ill about Pocket PC, but what? still being more popular in the past than Windows CE, has not been done in the domestic cellphones/smartphone market.
classicgamelover85

EmuandCo wrote:Linux Kernel coders won't help us at all. We are not the slightest bit a Linux OS. So I dont think it's a good idea.
I don't think you understand. Maybe you do, but at least hear me out. Linux coders know how to code, so I figure they would know how to code a totally different OS if they learned how. It wouldn't be a problem to educate them would it? And they could code ReactOS. I'm not saying ReactOS is linux based, I KNOW its not, I'm saying any programmer can program cuz they have the know-how on how to do it.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

classicgamelover85 wrote:
EmuandCo wrote:Linux Kernel coders won't help us at all. We are not the slightest bit a Linux OS. So I dont think it's a good idea.
I don't think you understand. Maybe you do, but at least hear me out. Linux coders know how to code, so I figure they would know how to code a totally different OS if they learned how. It wouldn't be a problem to educate them would it? And they could code ReactOS. I'm not saying ReactOS is linux based, I KNOW its not, I'm saying any programmer can program cuz they have the know-how on how to do it.
I think he's assuming that those (core) linux devs are too fanatic to think about programming another OS than linux (because from their pov. *nix is the best architecture, etc...).
classicgamelover85

How about at least asking linux if they'd donate anything to us? We got to get the ball rolling. This OS has been in dev stage for a very long time and still hasn't reached Beta. I've done all I can do to support the project, I advertised it on my website, and made a you tube video about it. My channel sucks though. very few views and subs.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

mametoc » 11 Apr 2014 15:46

Dave3434 wrote:i have to agree with you anything newer then xp is down right trash vista is a ram hug windows 7 is not to far behind and windows 8 is just a fails miserably on just about everything, btw i saw the windows 9 preview and sadly it will still have metro forced down our throats. http://www.zdnet.com/can-windows-9-save ... 000025100/

It seems too simple to blame the decline or rise of an operating system (x) only by the interface because it actually play many more factors (diferents architectures, manufacturer desire to take benefits of the quickest and safest way possible, etc...)

Some time ago I heard a person lauding the PalmOS interface and speaking ill about Pocket PC, but what? still being more popular in the past than Windows CE, has not been done in the domestic cellphones/smartphone market.

Post by tomleem » 11 Apr 2014 14:38

Win 8 (9?) makes Win 7 look even better. It is a shame it is not easy getting Win 7 since Microsoft wants to sell Win 8/8.1. I am glad we were able to get Win 7 at work. 8-)

Post by Webunny » 11 Apr 2014 08:55

Dave3434 wrote:

But alas, since more and more apps and drivers will become 'new MSversion only' one can't but evolve as well. There is no use in staying with strict XP compatibility when all the apps and drivers in the future - certainly now that support has been cancelled for XP - will be for new versions. What are you going to do? Create a workaround for every new app on the market which doesn't work with XP anymore? Re-engineer every driver that hasn't an XP-variant anymore? That's infeasible.

Yes, you can hold onto backwards-compatibility to XP, far more so then MS - which will be an advantage for some time to come, since many still use XP these days, have specific apps running on it, or just like it... and those might consider an XP-like clone which Is up to date (at least on security). So that is an opportunity - being alluded here by vicamaral /IGG project and others already.

but i hate windows 7.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

classicgamelover85 wrote:How about at least asking linux if they'd donate anything to us? We got to get the ball rolling. This OS has been in dev stage for a very long time and still hasn't reached Beta. I've done all I can do to support the project, I advertised it on my website, and made a you tube video about it. My channel sucks though. very few views and subs.
"Linux" is not some sort of single organization. It is collectively a large number of companies, foundations, and interested individuals with similar goals. The closest thing to an overarching point is the Linux Foundation, but even they cannot claim to speak for the entire Linux community. So when you say ask "Linux" for a donation, you're not actually making any sort of concrete suggestion. Also, we're competitors with Linux. Why exactly would any of Linux's backers want to help us? They support Linux because they want a Unix-like OS to use. ReactOS is not a Unix-like OS. In fact, we're close to the antithesis of Linux.
Dave3434 wrote: but i hate windows 7.
Then you're going to hate ReactOS eventually as well. Do you honestly think this project is going to stick forever with an NT5 target? Especially when probably 90% of the developers are fans of Windows 7 and its GUI?
classicgamelover85

Z98 wrote:
classicgamelover85 wrote:How about at least asking linux if they'd donate anything to us? We got to get the ball rolling. This OS has been in dev stage for a very long time and still hasn't reached Beta. I've done all I can do to support the project, I advertised it on my website, and made a you tube video about it. My channel sucks though. very few views and subs.
"Linux" is not some sort of single organization. It is collectively a large number of companies, foundations, and interested individuals with similar goals. The closest thing to an overarching point is the Linux Foundation, but even they cannot claim to speak for the entire Linux community. So when you say ask "Linux" for a donation, you're not actually making any sort of concrete suggestion. Also, we're competitors with Linux. Why exactly would any of Linux's backers want to help us? They support Linux because they want a Unix-like OS to use. ReactOS is not a Unix-like OS. In fact, we're close to the antithesis of Linux.
Dave3434 wrote: but i hate windows 7.
Then you're going to hate ReactOS eventually as well. Do you honestly think this project is going to stick forever with an NT5 target? Especially when probably 90% of the developers are fans of Windows 7 and its GUI?

Alright I understand now. I just wish windows didn't force this metro crap down my throat. I'm so badly wanting ReactOS to go beta at least, but.... will it ever? Sorry for the pessimistic comment but.... never mind. It'd be more acceptable if they'd at least give me the option to customize the entire GUI to look like XP but be as new and stable as 8, or windows 9. I just like the GUI in windows XP better, but I do wish for something newer but the new GUI they are going with is dreadful. Purely Dreadful. It wouldn't be so bad if I could make it work and function like XP.... A customizable GUI is a good idea and allows flexibility for many varieties of users.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Z98 wrote:
Although I agree with your main point, I want to point out that the first fact you name actually makes for a contradiction to your last (quote) assertion. The fact there is no homogeneous "Linux" consense means that there is no way to know for sure people contributing to Linux want specifically a Unix-like OS. For example, I don't think Google cares if Linux is UNIX-like or Windows like, as long as it works and can be used as a base for their Android OS. The same way, I don't think Canonical cares about it being UNIX-like, but just about it being relatively mature and free. Of course, some of the biggest contributors are there because they want a UNIX-like OS, but not all of them are that specific on the model the OS presents, but are attracted by its relative maturity for being free software and the fact they can use it as a base for other software they might need. Still, I agree that it is very unlikely that any sizeable portion of the Linux ecosystem suddenly picks interest in contributing to ReactOS, because the fact they contribute is a sign that Linux is good enough for them, being them specially interested in it's UNIX ways or not, and contributing to ReactOS (from their POV) is just not contributing to the code base in better shape.
classicgamelover85 wrote: Alright I understand now. I just wish windows didn't force this metro crap down my throat. I'm so badly wanting ReactOS to go beta at least, but.... will it ever? Sorry for the pessimistic comment but.... never mind. It'd be more acceptable if they'd at least give me the option to customize the entire GUI to look like XP but be as new and stable as 8, or windows 9. I just like the GUI in windows XP better, but I do wish for something newer but the new GUI they are going with is dreadful. Purely Dreadful. It wouldn't be so bad if I could make it work and function like XP.... A customizable GUI is a good idea and allows flexibility for many varieties of users.
Well, there's the marvel with ReactOS being open source: even when ReactOS devs decide they don't want to support the XP GUI, you can make a snapshot of the code and find a community interested in maintaining the forked UI/OS, if you feel the old one is better. With closed source, support ends when the owner decides it, and nobody else can (legally) step up to provide such support.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

i don't expect you to stay in nt 5.0 forever as long it falls in two goals one i have a choice in GUI which i know i do. two it supports older hardware. :)
classicgamelover85

Good thing these forums exist. I'd most certainly bring up an XP UI for sure. The only programming I know is Game Maker 8.1 or game maker studio and that's way way way waaaaaay different from an OS language. I really wish I knew how to create my own OS cuz I'd have allot of fun with that. I'm not talking about actual code either with game maker i'm talking a bout the D&D icons used to create the code. That's the cheater's way of making an actual game. If you don't know what D&D is when it comes to game maker, look it up. YoYo games makes the program.

PS I'm also now drunk so excuse the bad grammar.

Either way, I'm Xp all the way. I really believe windows XP was Microsoft's best OS and could have been improved to match up to the newest ones. Did they really have to sell people windows vista, 7, 8, and 9? 9 hasn't come out yet. But come on. Those suck. And seems to me redundant to sell a whole new OS, when XP was perfectly fine. And could have just been tweaked a bit to match up to current standards with all its bugs fixed and further more. Know what I mean? But then again, where would the profit be in that? That's the most pathetic thing about corporate owned OS's. Bottom line, they should have just kept it the way it was with is same old GUI and not changed the GUI at all--that's what made windows the best in the first place--THAT is what made windows the easiest OS to use!!! But now I find the new UI so clunky and maze-like.... its kind of cooky.