I"M HARDCORE REACTOS!!! I'm trying to motivate people!!!!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

classicgamelover85

I"M HARDCORE REACTOS!!! I'm trying to motivate people!!!!

Post by classicgamelover85 »

WHAT SAY YOU????? Well so far I have talked to several people at netflix--maybe not much of an accomplishment, but i'm trying my hardest and my damndest to spread the word about reactOS! I strongly believe this OS will put Microsoft OUT OF BUSINESS FOREVER!!! DAMN I HATE MICROSOFT!!! THE EVIL EMPIRE!!!! hope this is allowed by forum rules. but anyways. I'm sorry I can't help myself--I hate Microsoft so much, they truely are the evil empire. My hope is that one day they bite the bullet, and ReactOS is the answer to that prayer. What else can we do to spread the word? Get more donates? Get more support? Get more help? What can we do? i'm not much of an evaluator, or programmer. And I'm on SSI disability. so I donate what I can but i feel its just not enough. We get some dedicated supporters and ReactOS could one day finally be born!!! Any suggestions? thanks. (And by born, i mean born into beta stage, and out of this crappy alpha stage--alpha stage isn't good--its like, come on--but one day this OS will kick ass!!!! I JUST KNOW IT!!!!)
PurpleGurl

Re: I"M HARDCORE REACTOS!!! I'm trying to motivate people!!!

Post by PurpleGurl »

I don't think it is good to wish one's parents were dead. If there were no Microsoft, there would be no Reactos.

In terms of attitude, consider what Mother Theresa once said. She said she'd never go to an anti-war demonstration, but that she'd be glad to attend a peace rally. So lets be more pro-ReactOS than anti-Microsoft.

I'd use ROS right away if it worked on my PC and were not a step backwards.I have a 12-threaded CPU, and ROS would likely recognize only one of those. Yes, ROS typically boots faster than Windows (because it doesn't do as much), but imagine how much faster it would boot if it recognized all the cores very early? But ROS does support multicore, nor does it support NTFS, and there are many systems it won't boot at all on. Overcome those and the ReactX limits (and the emulation), and make it run on more machines, and more would use it.
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

Actually - IMO - if there were no Microsoft, there would still be an OS/2 Warp by IBM. Perhaps ReactOS would be an open source clone of OS/2 Warp? :?: I have read that Microsoft has used FUD to keep companies from installing OS/2 Warp on the computers they sell (IIRC - they signed a contract with Microsoft indicating they will only install Windows).

I don't hate Microsoft but I have not always agreed with their tactics. I am hoping for ReactOS to suceed. Windows seems to be so 'bloated'; more so with each new version. 8-)

Fortunately there is an updated version of OS/2 Warp called eComStation. :ugeek:
http://www.ecomstation.com. There is also an attempt to clone OS/2 Warp called OSFree but it does not seem to be going anywhere (well, anywhere fast). http://www.osfree.org
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
gamax92

Re: I'm hardcore ReactOS!!! I'm trying to motivate people!!!

Post by gamax92 »

As said in many other threads like this, showing people an unfinished product that is VERY crashy, cannot run many programs, or may not even install on peoples computers, can actually hurt the ReactOS project.
If you say fed someone a new dish, but it ended up giving them food poisoning, they are not likely to try that dish again, ever.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

gamax92 wrote:As said in many other threads like this, showing people an unfinished product that is VERY crashy, cannot run many programs, or may not even install on peoples computers, can actually hurt the ReactOS project.
If you say fed someone a new dish, but it ended up giving them food poisoning, they are not likely to try that dish again, ever.
Why does that sound so familiar? ;-) But yes, you are right.
Konata

Post by Konata »

Although I hate MS, I'm more pro-freedom than anything. I hate plenty of freedom respecting things but I have no problems with people using them.
Honestly if I was as much of an anti-MS fanatic as you are, OP, I'd be more of a GNU/Linux fanboy, or any project binary compatible with Linux, considering the world is rapidly moving towards it. As I think some people here have said, ReactOS isn't about killing MS, it's just about creating a free, working alternative for people who cannot, for technical or moral reasons, run Windows. Personally I see ReactOS's place in the world as being an OS that will still be able to run old Windows programs after GNU/Linux finally sinks MS (Or at least Windows, but knowing how MS loves to use vendor lock-in I'd say their marketing tactic is to have a tantrum and demanding people only use their products, all the way to the bottom of the ocean). FreeDOS is already a good example of that, DOS programs can't run on any modern operating system directly, but they can on FreeDOS. That was necessary because, as the FreeDOS website states, it was made because MS-DOS would stop being supported, sold, and would just generally be left forgotten. It was never intended to compete with or hurt Windows, it's merely a replacement because no other options would exist outside of virtualization. The same sort of goes for ReactOS.

My suggestion, OP, is to get people to use GNU/Linux rather than ReactOS if you want to hurt MS so badly. GNU/Linux is taking over, I can't even go a day without hearing about a new project being ported to it, and SteamOS is sure going to help a ton. You're not gonna get anywhere trying to get people to use ReactOS, not yet anyway. But don't be afraid to tell people more technologically inclined about it, maybe they can donate their skills or money to make it better!
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

classicgamelover85 wrote:What else can we do to spread the word? Get more donates? Get more support? Get more help? What can we do?
https://reactos.org/participation
classicgamelover85

Post by classicgamelover85 »

A few of the guys working at netflix were very intrigued when I told them about ReactOS and said they'd check it out.

And honestly, the reactOS website gives only minor details of what we can do to get involved. But I'm talking about spreading the word--like does anyone know of a place that doesn't mind soliciting too much? Netflix was fine with it, and I know I could use youtube, but I'm thinking of buying some business cards and mailing them to random addresses. Good idea you think?
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

classicgamelover85 wrote:A few of the guys working at netflix were very intrigued when I told them about ReactOS and said they'd check it out.

And honestly, the reactOS website gives only minor details of what we can do to get involved. But I'm talking about spreading the word--like does anyone know of a place that doesn't mind soliciting too much? Netflix was fine with it, and I know I could use youtube, but I'm thinking of buying some business cards and mailing them to random addresses. Good idea you think?
I think this line of talk might be better suited to be placed here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13256&start=15

Spreading the word is, indeed, an important point. I'm not into all the 'social networking' stuff with facebook and twitter and all that crap - though it's useful if someone would - but I did do my best to contact IT-sites and magazines, especially Dutch ones, since vicamaral and the other PR guys couldn't do that. If everyone did the same for his language/country, it would go a far way, me thinks.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Webunny wrote:vicamaral
It's vicmarcal - shortcut of the name Víctor Martínez Calvo.
Blue

Post by Blue »

classicgamelover85,
First off I like to say it's a great idea to motivate people!!!
Microsoft No all bad: Don't want to sound like a fan but.... Microsoft is not as bad as you would believe it to be!.. Look at ReactOS for one. They have been copying Microsoft from older versions for many years now & working to make the OS act & look kind of like Win2k plus it's their goal... (Using Wine API). Without Microsoft the OS could never even be started up... Microsoft give the ReactOS team the tools to do this! (Keep it respectful of what is going on around you!)

NOTE: Not sure about ReactOS plans yet because its not stable enough to really see until down the road.
What plans its going to keep or break.

Now Yes ReactOS wall be a option once it does gain ground & everyone starts working as one! & if you've noticed Microsoft has been changing from Windows Software maker! (ReactOS) Will need a team later on to keep the peace from hackers & other people that wish to hurt the project! & hope it never gets closed off from being open at one point when it gets more stable & more user base. As hackers & code makers will try to put there own CODE inside the OS builds & we have to trust the people already making the OS code in the builds. (If your not a software coder you might never notice! (It can be more risky to take a Linux or Unix OS with so much people putting code in and never see the problem for years like Heart did. (Linux already has problems like this and they changed how the system modifies are handled. My OS maintainers.. The point is people are lazy & don't always look at all the codding & go off people they feel they can trust over time! (So yes open can be good & it can be bad. Unlike Apple & Microsoft each line of code added & removed is passed down a chain of commands to make sure nothing has been ruined or hurt... & the only reason MS is closed is because of people like React & hackers that will make their own version of the OS! or learn about loop holes in the system faster. (If people can see the full code its easier to remake or modify more problems faster inside the OS). - Allot of the open community are the ones putting virus on the network to ruin the windows experience to take avenge of the normal user base.. > Example: Linux OS users do this all a time..

All in all Keep a Open Mind set over OS community's & makers.
Its really the best way to handle yourself!

Just to re-cup
> ReactOS might change to more of a trust us like Microsoft set of mind...
> ReactOS time will tell us once the OS it gets off its feet if that is truly what they are about!

Problems:
> Everyone kind of runs off and does their own things in the Linux & Unix world. (Open can be good or bad)....
They also really need a better developer board to read from other developers around the world working on this project.

Open(S) main problem is that people make software over and over again when its unneeded & this makes the OS build slower.
Unlike Closed they get things done faster because they don't run around with their heads cut off... Problem with closed people feel they have no control because the code is closed off & they feel since its closed people are doing things be hide their back.. NOTE: you get this with anything you install... At points their is always something closed off from the community at large at one point & you will have to trust the person or people that made it.

Throwing that out /\

Being Dumb:
Going over to Netflix and telling them ReactOS is where its at is not the goal. If ReactOS wants Netflix to even care about the OS they need to make Silverlight work under the system without a bypass or hack being placed in the system!... Than maybe they might grant the OS makers money to head the projects feature...

> Netflix was fine with it > They want to keep the money rolling in they will say anything to keep you happy. It's what they get payed to do....
> Many Windows users that run windows 8 , 8.1 don't know how to use Compatibility mode to run older software! (Just saying)...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> This Antiness mind set in our open community has been getting more annoying and ridicules over time...

People start using open and listen to much of what others have to say over a topic , Videos & repeat than attacks as their mind set has been changed by other people around them or off things that say they get more freedoms doing the following steps... That's not always true...... But its being taken to heart........ Now that listen to other hardhead individuals that really have no clue themselves over what is better... I'm all about freedoms but open also can take freedoms away just like closed can... That's why you need to keep a clear head & understand the development of your favorite projects & the more you learn the better your off when you do start using them to look for errors etc... yourself, So your not attack by ugly code makers & keeping your online & offline data safe...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Black_Fox wrote:
Webunny wrote:vicamaral
It's vicmarcal - shortcut of the name Víctor Martínez Calvo.
I think he'll have understood it was him, even with the typo. ;)

I'll abbreviate it to vic in the future. Saves a valuable split second.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Webunny wrote: I did do my best to contact IT-sites and magazines, especially Dutch ones, since vicamaral and the other PR guys couldn't do that. If everyone did the same for his language/country, it would go a far way, me thinks.
Thanks Webunny about contacting Dutch ones :)
Well, really we were and are contacting English and Spanish/Latin and German ones, even Italian and French(but in English).
So any help is always welcome as said, and there are magazines that we don't know yet but probably you, you as Community, knows. :)
gamax92

Post by gamax92 »

Uhh, that whole block of words, I don't think people are lazy, I think they don't feel the need to look through every file or source code, attempt to understand all of it (which they most likely couldn't even if they understood any of it), and then trust it.

That whole Open Source building is slow, is kinda a pointless point. Because someone had to compile the code. Even currently, ReactOS is open source, and I don't experience the slow building since I still don't build it.

We even have systems that don't have to rebuild from source every time. the make program can detect whether or not the source code changed, and use the already prebuilt files instead. Or things are modular, and you only have to rebuild one module out of many.

We are also trusting that Microsoft or Apple aren't putting malicious code in their OS's.
milon

Post by milon »

classicgamelover85 wrote:... I'm thinking of buying some business cards and mailing them to random addresses. Good idea you think?
FYI, you either have to state clearly that it's not an official ReactOS advertisement, or else get the official approval of the project. (They're not jerks - they are legally required to protect their trademarks & copyrights or else they get forfeited.) That said, randomly mailing business cards doesn't sound terribly effective to me. Or would they be sent to specifically chosen people?