Anyone Think I should Publish this?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

MugenFighter

Anyone Think I should Publish this?

Post by MugenFighter »

I have a Power Point I am working on for a class and it talks about ReactOS and three other operating systems, two of which are free and open source. I was thinking that I might publish it on a website or blog to try to get the word out on three operating systems, especially ReactOS. I thought that since ReactOS would be the most modern and usable OS of the specific Operating Systems that are mentioned, this would be a good place to ask.

Anyway here is the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/qkmduak7y ... ter_9.pptx

Also sorry, the viewer on mediafire isn't totally accurate. If you have power point or a program that can read it better, I would suggest you download it and view it that way.
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
Black_Fox

Re: Anyone Think I should Publish this?

Post by Black_Fox »

I don't understand the cover slide with Mac OS, Unix, Chrome OS et al., when the rest of the presentation covers entirely different OSs. As for the initial information, I guess not much can be done if each of the OSs can get only get a few bulletpoints. In the ReactOS slide, I am totally and completely sure the FreeWin95 is NOT something I'd like to point out as one of the 5 most important pieces of information about this beautiful project ;-)
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

Black_Fox wrote:I don't understand the cover slide with Mac OS, Unix, Chrome OS et al., when the rest of the presentation covers entirely different OSs. As for the initial information, I guess not much can be done if each of the OSs can get only get a few bulletpoints. In the ReactOS slide, I am totally and completely sure the FreeWin95 is NOT something I'd like to point out as one of the 5 most important pieces of information about this beautiful project ;-)
It's actually "Non Windows, Mac OS, Unix, ..." it got cut off because the viewer sucks for mediafire, but the actual file is correct. As for the few bulletpoints, keep in mind this is for a school project and there is a time limit while presenting. Also I mentioned FreeWin95 as a history/origin of ReactOS nothing more. None of this information should be considered to be the most important about the topic.
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
Tonix

Post by Tonix »

If the plans are not changed 0.4 remains alpha.... 0.5 will be the first beta.

but Alpha and Beta in ReactOs project are a little different then in general:

Alpha: not eraly stage internal testing only but open to public testing.
Beta: not only open to external testing but ready for everyday usage, but not complete 100%.
Release Candidate: not the preview of the final product but the preview of the mileston reached, still alpha or beta.

Speaking in a general manner reactos is Beta software right now, but not ready for every day usage.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Okay, the devs don't like the word clone. An alternative Windows implementation might sound better. NT 5.2 is the goal, not older or newer software. They don't want to mix compatibility too much. I'd say mostly from scratch, since omitting mostly would create a contradiction. Is it written from scratch or does it use other code? It is written from the ground up, but uses code from other open source projects where feasible. I don't really see the point of mentioning FreeWin 95.

The final MS-DOS line might be inaccurate. 2000 and XP uses a virtual console that is somewhat like DOS, but isn't, unless I am mistaken.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

PurpleGurl wrote:Okay, the devs don't like the word clone. An alternative Windows implementation might sound better. NT 5.2 is the goal, not older or newer software. They don't want to mix compatibility too much. I'd say mostly from scratch, since omitting mostly would create a contradiction. Is it written from scratch or does it use other code? It is written from the ground up, but uses code from other open source projects where feasible. I don't really see the point of mentioning FreeWin 95.

The final MS-DOS line might be inaccurate. 2000 and XP uses a virtual console that is somewhat like DOS, but isn't, unless I am mistaken.
I use the word clone because it does look like Windows, but I made sure to mention it was binary compatible, but I'll look into you're wording. I will edit it and add mostly. I mentioned FreeWin95 as a timeline, but I'll look into deleting it.

As for MS-DOS, I'll take that line out.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

Tonix wrote:If the plans are not changed 0.4 remains alpha.... 0.5 will be the first beta.

but Alpha and Beta in ReactOs project are a little different then in general:

Alpha: not eraly stage internal testing only but open to public testing.
Beta: not only open to external testing but ready for everyday usage, but not complete 100%.
Release Candidate: not the preview of the final product but the preview of the mileston reached, still alpha or beta.

Speaking in a general manner reactos is Beta software right now, but not ready for every day usage.
Okay I was going by the wiki and memory.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

oldman

Post by oldman »

MugenFighter wrote:Here is an edited version.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/cpvyrixpv ... _9(2).pptx
Couldn't you push Ros more by showing a screenshot with some open apps, instead of just the start menu.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

oldman wrote:
MugenFighter wrote:Here is an edited version.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/cpvyrixpv ... _9(2).pptx
Couldn't you push Ros more by showing a screenshot with some open apps, instead of just the start menu.
Ok, I'll change the screen shot.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

I added a different pic for ReactOS. I used Notepad and a list. I had originally wanted to use an RPG Maker VX Ace game I made a while ago, but it crashed while loading, and I was running out of time.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/ow7g9bq0q ... _9(3).pptx
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

Another edit
http://www.mediafire.com/view/0usengqtd ... _9(4).pptx

Edit: I have decided this is the final edit.