Windows 10 is officially a spyware and an adware

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

erkinalp

Re: Windows 10 is officially a spyware and an adware

Post by erkinalp »

therian wrote:i bought win10 pro off of amazon when it first came out. luckily, i found that with that version, not only can i disable the updates, but there's a special bug in my particular version that enables me to never have to register the installation with a product key by disabling certain windows services. after which, the registration reminder and requirements just, bug out and go away. also, by disabling most unnecessary services, im free to disable some services that weren't previously allowed to be disabled.
You may not be entitled to get updates even if it is not pirate.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
therian

Post by therian »

erkinalp wrote:
therian wrote:i bought win10 pro off of amazon when it first came out. luckily, i found that with that version, not only can i disable the updates, but there's a special bug in my particular version that enables me to never have to register the installation with a product key by disabling certain windows services. after which, the registration reminder and requirements just, bug out and go away. also, by disabling most unnecessary services, im free to disable some services that weren't previously allowed to be disabled.
You may not be entitled to get updates even if it is not pirate.
well, even if it wanted to, in pro you can disable the service that controls updates. and i don't want updates anyways, so that's a plus.

/* edit: actually when i first got it before i found about the services, i remember it did install updates and there was a way to uninstall them but now i don't have to worry about it */
milon

Post by milon »

I thought Pro let you delay updates, not disable them. That was kind of a major selling point, I thought.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

They even collect the color of your computer.
Konata

Post by Konata »

erkinalp wrote:They even collect the color of your computer.
Yes, to sync it with your Microsoft account. They're not hiding that.
What would they even do with your color? laugh at you for using pink?
milon wrote:I thought Pro let you delay updates, not disable them. That was kind of a major selling point, I thought.
No, it's only the Enterprise and Server editions that let you do that. You can manually disable/delay updates by disabling the Windows Update service.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Not sure why they'd collect the computer's color. Maybe they want to see what themes to create/add, or maybe they'll sell that to a PC manufacturer. So if a lot of users had pink or purple computers, someone might make more or make themes that match.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

If someone wants to "test" "Windows" 10 for free: http://www.windoof.org/ :D :D
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Konata wrote:Yes, to sync it with your Microsoft account. They're not hiding that.
No, I am not mentioning color of that kind of thing. I mean computer chassi's color. Unless you have a chameleon-color cased computer or a theme changing its accent according to chassi's color, it makes no sense to sync that.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

As for why to collect the color or the machine, here are some ideas:

1. Sell to PC manufacturers or marketers so they can see what is popular.

2. To make a theme match the machine.

3. Make fun of the users with certain colored PCs or those who have naked computers (no case).

4. To exhibit peer pressure on the computer. See if it is some odd color by choice, then the OS, knowing that can pressure the computer to change.
janl

Office is also spyware

Post by janl »

erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Device color collection may be related to Pat.Nr. US 20110167380 A1. This patent describes a content mapping based on the color of the device.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I doubt that. I looked up that patent and nothing is said about the device color, just its background. It sounds like what programmers already did for years where you need contrasting colors so the navigation shows up properly. At the basic level, even DOS mouse drivers were like this, where they changed color based on the background.