How is ReactOS Going to Stay Relevant?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

MugenFighter

Re: How is ReactOS Going to Stay Relevant?

Post by MugenFighter »

hbelusca wrote:The only potential problem I see in this beautiful picture concerns the games that needs high requirements related to Direct-X , since we don't have any serious directX support in ROS and nobody only dedicated to that is going to work on it soon so far.
Will that be fixed by version 1.0?
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

MugenFighter wrote:
hbelusca wrote:The only potential problem I see in this beautiful picture concerns the games that needs high requirements related to Direct-X , since we don't have any serious directX support in ROS and nobody only dedicated to that is going to work on it soon so far.
We don't have a magic crystal ball to predict the future.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

And the compatibility of WineD3D is very good. Only our bugs prevent its proper use.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

hbelusca wrote:
MugenFighter wrote:
We don't have a magic crystal ball to predict the future.
Sorry...
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

And the compatibility of WineD3D is very good
Yet slower, unfortunately.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Of course, it's a JIT translator to OpenGL. But there are way more serious problems right now for a server OS which ROS aims to be at first. D3D is a secondary aim AFTER core components are rather stable.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

So what are we looking at for the worst problems? I know the memory manager is still an issue, and I know the low-level support and drivers have a lot to be desired. What else of the worst ones?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

SMB support, fixes for audio subsystem, USB fixes, real HW boot fixes, ... yeah like that.

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

SMB? You mean Server Message Block as in NetBios?

And what about SMP? Is that even on anyone's radar? (Yes, that ties into the topic since multicore is relevant now.) While booting and responsiveness may be faster than Windows, the speed of actually running apps is another matter, since I presume multicore support isn't there, and issues like driver support and what was said about DirectX.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

PurpleGurl wrote:SMB? You mean Server Message Block as in NetBios?
I presume SMB to reference yes, Server Message Block, but as in Windows network file sharing. NetBIOS may or may not necessarily play into that.