creating an operating sytem(im not a programmer)

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: creating an operating sytem(im not a programmer)

Post by Z98 »

On the contrary, I personally would be very worried if someone was using Windows to manage nuclear systems. It's not a hard realtime OS and the older versions, which are probably what the RN used considering the age of the Vanguards, had some really stupid problems. For example, you know that COM port that most motherboard chipsets have by default even if it isn't broken out? But which probably is used in embedded situations like, say on a nuclear sub? Windows can get blue-screened if a 'properly' malformed packet hits that port. There're other issues as well, NT is not designed to be able to recover from critical errors or keep programs running no matter what. I'm pretty sure the RN chose NT-based systems to save on cost, deciding that the "risk" of something going awry with the nukes was acceptable for the cost savings. Which, significantly reduces my level of confidence in their overall competency to even handle nukes.

That factories are using NT with relatively low incidence rates (relatively) doesn't really prove that it's suitable for truly critical systems. Hell, the way computer systems tend to be configured in factories, we're lucky if the admins were able to keep the entire network off the internet so that all of the crappy software that runs industrial equipment isn't compromised even more easily. With a factory, a screwup might be expensive, but doesn't result in you irradiating a chunk of the planet. With nukes, if something cocks up, you generally don't get a second chance.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Windows for Warships 3.11 - You aren't joking... it will be an older version of Windows that is running there, almost certainly.

The RN migrated to Windows as BAE outsourced it's computing to CSC who rely solely on Windows for all their systems. As a result I have been migrating VMS apps to run on real VMS but on virtual hardware - sitting on Windows of course. VMS systems that are utterly dependable and utterly free of viruses or compromise are suddenly made vulnerable by the Windows component, a network connection, a/v tools that don't understand how to operate in a virtual environment and sys. admins that know nothing about ft, VMS nor the importance of uptime on a critical system.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Windows for Warships 3.11 - You aren't joking... it will be an older version of Windows that is running there, almost certainly.
The Register and Tom's Hardware articles mention it's an unspecified combination of Windows 2000 and Windows XP installations.
Z98 wrote:Windows can get blue-screened if a 'properly' malformed packet hits [COM] port.
Can this be fixed for ROS or what is the reason to keeping such a behavior in Windows?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Assuming I'm remembering this correctly, the COM0 serial port is interacting with the rest of the system via ACPI. That's the root of the problem, ACPI is an overcomplicated and extremely brittle system. So it's not so much Windows having a bad day, it's ACPI getting borked which will bring anything down. It's why while I was working at my internship we were told to never rely on the serial port built into our computers and to only use the ports from the PCI/PCIe cards we were given, or even USB adapters instead.

Sidenote: this was a self-inflicted screwup, as I believe it was Microsoft who pushed for the serial port to integrate via ACPI.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

If someone knows how to produce this BSOD on Windows, it would be interesting to know whether it is reproducible on ReactOS too.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Black_Fox wrote: The Register and Tom's Hardware articles mention it's an unspecified combination of Windows 2000 and Windows XP installations.
Can confirm that Windows 2000 is definitely being used for the consoles. ;)
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
manuel

Post by manuel »

HelenOS I did not know ;)
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Windows for Warships (XP) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2yYXxnP_Ag at 1 min and 28 secs on Her Majesty's latest and most powerful aircraft carrier...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Apologies for resurrecting an old-ish thread

HMS Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier, possibly using ReactOS by 2025?
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ber-attack
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/0 ... _type_23s/
middings

Post by middings »

The Grauniad turned into The Register so slowly that I hadn't even noticed.

I thought you had foreclosed the possibility of MOD interest in ever deploying ReactOS, dizt3mp3r.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16285&p=125358&hili ... ps#p125362
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Well perhaps by 2025... but that was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

In truth, the open source nature of the project might eventually allay fears after a deep, deep and very, very, very, long code review - but I do know how suspicious the MoD and DoD are and in truth they are more likely to stick with XP forever.

Personally, the more I think about ReactOS the better I feel it would fit these sort of applications.

Anyway, ReactOS might not be ready by 2025. ;)