GWX is malware, ntfs security cannot block it

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Alahndro

GWX is malware, ntfs security cannot block it

Post by Alahndro »

I just wanted to stop the GWX Icon to appear on a PC that will never be copmatible for winX.
I tried to disable the job inside task scheduler and got an access denied. So I thought: If you deny me the access to the job, I'll deny you access to the windows/system32/GWX folder.

After taking ownership of that folder I removed every user except "Everyone" and set it to deny all permissions.

Still windows was able to start that f****** b*****? I mean what is security good for if it does not work???

Can anyone explain that to me, or tell me if and how this can be accomplished?

Edit: Watched my words
Last edited by Alahndro on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: GWX is malware, ntfs security cannot block it

Post by EmuandCo »

Access by a SYSTEM service is another caliber than a normal user. It's that simple. ^^ You have to remove the task by gaining SYSTEM access rights
EDIT: Btw, watch your words.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
MadWolf

Re: GWX is malware, ntfs security cannot block it

Post by MadWolf »

hi
you are going about this the wrong way you need to uninstall the update and set the update to be hidden kb 3035583 is the Get Windows 10 app the other updates are the telemetry (censored) updates

create a text file on you desktop and copy and paste this in to it

Code: Select all

wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /quiet /norestart
Note on the folder options you need to have hide extensions for known file types unchecked
rename the file to uninstall.bat