Re: 0x0000007B

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

John9871

Post by John9871 »

i'm getting the same problem
want to install windows xp on my ubuntu pc
but cant able to install it
getting this error while windows scanning for files i think

plz help :cry:
thanks in advance
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Hi!
- First of all, please do not resuscitate old forum threads.
- The BSOD number 0x7B (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE) means that Windows doesn't find the boot device, for some reason...
Heis Spiter

Post by Heis Spiter »

Nope, nope. If Windows cannot find the boot device, it will raise an IO1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED BSOD (0x69) (which is even pretty famous on ReactOS). This is not to be confused with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE (0x7B) which is actually quite explicit: Windows knows where to boot from but cannot access that location. Most of the time, the reason is missing drivers in the storage stack (for whatever reason).
Pierre Schweitzer (aka Heis Spiter)
ReactOS kernel developer.
ReactOS systems administrator.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Thanks HeisSpiter for your correction.
John9871

Post by John9871 »

thnaks HeisSpiter and hbelusca for replying and sorry for writing on old post.

actually I've tried this chkdsk thing with my windows xp cd as your suggested link says.
and it gets complete without any problem but the problem still didn't solve by that.
so, i search about it a lot
and find this article about this 7b error as you can see http://www.deskdecode.com/how-to-fix-bl ... x0000007b/
and you what
changing sata options in BIOS does slved my problem :D

but thanks for your help
my computer is fixed now

and there is one more question you you dont mind :)
can changing this setting in bios is safe?
did i need to re-change it after some time or what?

thanks again
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yes, it sounds like a storage driver problem, and changing the BIOS makes up for not having the driver. For instance, if it were set to RAID and the necessary RAID driver were not installed, you'd get this error. But if you disable RAID or AHCI and change to ATA/SATA mode, it should work without the special driver.

If this were Windows and you wanted to run it without changing the setting (or you want to change the setting later to a mode that requires a special driver), I'd say do a repair install and install the driver when prompted to hit F6 if you need to install any drivers that are required to get Windows to install. I imagine it would be possible to use the console mode to somehow manually register the driver, but I don't know how right off hand. The command console should rely on hardware (BIOS or UEFI) and not crash.

And to answer the question, there is no harm in changing the setting to get it to run. You just won't have whatever capability you disable in there.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
John9871

Post by John9871 »

thanks