MS now FORCING Win10 upgrades

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

milon

MS now FORCING Win10 upgrades

Post by milon »

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but MS is now trying to FORCE all eligible PC's to upgrade to Windows 10. I found that out just minutes ago when I sat down at the computer and wiggled the mouse to turn the screen on. I was greeted by one of those annoying Win10 upgrade screens, only this one said something like "Congrats, your Windows 10 upgrade is scheduled for Tuesday May 17, 2016!". I certainly hadn't authorized that, and I'm not the only one it's happened to either. (Google it.) I'm already really concerned about privacy issues with Win10, and now even more so. Does anyone know what MS is actually up to?
Konata

Re: MS now FORCING Win10 upgrades

Post by Konata »

They made it a recommended update a while ago. Did you change windows update's settings to manual update? If you didn't then 10 will install by itself, you have to manually uncheck the 10 upgrade update.

Also don't recommend google, they're a malicious company that actively suppresses free speech and fair use. I'll search it, using my preferred search engine, I won't "google" it.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I had this on many PCs now already. Worst is that domain networks are affected now, too. I was at a day long maintenance at some customer. In theory only two hours long, but after ALL 11 PCs decided to upgrade to Win10 and them realizing that their main used software does not work on it at all.... it was quite some work to get things back to a working state. Every PC I put hands on get a nice reg file executed which fully disables the bullshit!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

This happened to a friend of mine, and after a while, it would not let her cancel. So it upgraded and she was p*ssed off, so I found a tutorial on removing it and read it to her over the phone.

I am using an XP box right now since my nice system quit working last year and I can't seem to find a replacement motherboard. You'd think a Socket R (LGA 2011), original version board would have depreciated by now, but they've appreciated. It is was working, I'd likely be dealing with this BS now.

I came up with a metaphor, but I don't know if it will pass the civility rule. Let's say someone is walking along and a guy propositions them with an offer for sex. They keep saying no over and over, and the guy becomes more persistent. Then he says, "You are only saying that because you've never done it with me. So I am forced to make you experience me..." So he forces himself on top of the person, then asks how they like it. That is known as a power-reassurance rapist. However, this is where the similarities end. At least Microsoft gives you the chance to return the PC to mostly like it was before the ordeal.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Fortunately, GWX Control Panel takes care of this issue quite reliably and user-friendly. I got pretty annoyed by the persistent notification alone and this little utility has saved me a lot of headaches.
Konata

Post by Konata »

PurpleGurl please don't compare installing a piece of software to rape, that's just embarrassing for so many people on so many levels.
Then again, the word "rape" already lost all meaning years ago for that very reason. Now it just means "to look at someone funny".
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Konata wrote:PurpleGurl please don't compare installing a piece of software to rape, that's just embarrassing for so many people on so many levels.
Then again, the word "rape" already lost all meaning years ago for that very reason. Now it just means "to look at someone funny".
I knew someone would object, and I was careful to share where some of the similarities end. I did leave out that nobody puts Win 10 on there at gunpoint while you are in bed or batter anyone while they do it. And I left out mentioning that your computer won't swell up and produce little computers. Now viruses, the computer might get those, even from Microsoft. We've all heard about sealed software from Microsoft being infected.

And the comparison was not based on the seriousness, only the dynamics. Who wants their computer forcibly penetrated with something they don't want in there, and without their consent?
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

People do often consider their computer a private and intimate space. And when a piece of software alters the way the system works in a negative or unexpected way, it can be very, very unpleasant.

Yes, "personal computers" have come along way since people manually wired and hand soldered chips, crafted hand made wood cases, wrote and assembled their own software, and otherwise made machines work as THEY saw fit.

The computing world today is much less personal. These days if you sneeze the wrong way your own computer might report you as an evil terrorist, or if you change your desktop color scheme people might think you are an evil hacker.

Most people these days aren't tech savvy enough to prevent Microsoft or others from intruding on their computer, or are afraid to do so.

Why Microsoft hasn't gotten in to trouble over this fairly well shows that the majority of users have gotten used to metaphorically taking it up the butt.
EmuandCo wrote:ALL 11 PCs decided to upgrade to Win10 and them realizing that their main used software does not work on it at all....
Which demonstrates how Microsoft is no longer treating their OS as a truly solid development platform. Instead of just bug fixes and minor feature tweaks, expect to see completely game breaking changes pushed out whenever Microsoft feels like it.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
there is two ways to stop the GWX malware from downgrading your os to windows 10 remove kb3035583

Code: Select all

wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /quiet /norestart
or GWX Control Panel or Never10 https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
aimeusdietger

Post by aimeusdietger »

It's interesting to see that Windows 10 has become a mandatory operating system and Microsoft is encouraging its upgrade with good reason. Mostly it pertains to security since they are focusing all their security support on Windows 10. So far the people and companies that have been hacked were all using versions lower than Windows 10.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Wake that dead thread! ;)
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Watch out, or a mod will cremate it to keep it dead. I read this getting scared that they were going to do this again, then checked the date, realizing they meant last year. Microsoft actually removed/overwrote the upgrades recently (deleted a registry key via a patch) since this upgrade campaign is over.