MSI Live Update 6 (motherboard update) software on ReactOS ?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

jeroensky

MSI Live Update 6 (motherboard update) software on ReactOS ?

Post by jeroensky »

Hello all.
In a few days i get a 'MSI A68HM Grenade' motherboard.
MSi uses the windows application 'MSI Live Update 6' to update the firmware on their motherboards.
The application requires .NET Framework 4.0 (is that available on ReactOS?). It's designed to work on windows xp upto 10.
https://www.msi.com/page/Live-Update-5-Manual
My main OS is Debian Linux (testing) X86 64bit.
I want to install ReactOS as dualboot, just to make it possibl;e to update motherboard firmware.

Is MSI Live Update working on ReactOS?
Black_Fox

Re: MSI Live Update 6 (motherboard update) software on React

Post by Black_Fox »

Hi Jeroen!
As ReactOS is in alpha, I wouldn't recommend directly going and flashing your BIOS on your production/important hardware. As a first step you might want to deploy ReactOS in a virtual machine and check if the app can be installed and works at all. The .NET 4.0 framework probably won't work yet.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

SOme .net 1 and 2 stuff works by now and of course WineMONO does work fine. Fell free to try it, but if it kills your board... not our fault ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
jeroensky

Post by jeroensky »

Thanks for feedback.
Since msi live update needs net4 it's probably not working on ReactOS yet.

Besides, i asked MSI, and link them to this forumpost. They tell me that MSI live update is a program for bios and drivers. Windows drivers :lol:
So i don't need the driver update function when not using Windows, and for Bios update, i can boot into bios to discover bios version, then check on site what recent update is. And flash it if nessesary with DOS. (boot disc/stick).

Nevertheless, nice to see that their is a winapi opensource option, ReactOS.
jeroensky

Post by jeroensky »

MSI uses .exe files for bios updating. That's why i was interested in ReactOS. But it needs net4.

Issue is solved (bios is updated). Solution was browsing the internet and download a *.iso that contains Windows 7 live CD.