TempleOS - the best bits we could take

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

TempleOS - the best bits we could take

Post by dizt3mp3r »

TempleOS - it has some interesting concepts - this thread is a nonsense thread really, we are just considering the best bits we could take and include in some future version of Reactos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCXER2BSR8o
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Re: TempleOS - the best bits we could take

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The shell command line is linked to a C++ compiler and so you can type and run code on the fly. A useful tool to be able use the same keywords and syntax on the command line as you do when coding the o/s. How useful would that be within a future version of ReactOS?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The dedication the dev shows, is engendered by a belief that the o/s was inspired by God. Therefore, all criticism of the o/s can be ignored and he can just get on with the coding without worrying about whether he is ultimately wasting his time. It would be nice to have that certainty in any task we choose to do...
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Re. about the C (well, "HolyC" :D :D) interpreter: This reminds me of the fact that another software, called "CERN ROOT" (link 1, link 2), contains a C/C++ interpreter as part of its script system (the interpreter is called "CINT") and again, you can have access from the command prompt to the global variables, functions, and their addresses; the scripts do not contain any "main" function, instead the "main" function that is executed when you start the script is a void function whose name is the same as the script file's one.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The fact that TempleOS has no paging and uses straightforward identity mapping of memory, no paging and no virtual memory. I know this is an anathema to any Windows-type o/s but a straight-forward memory map is appealing for very quick o/ses in these days of massive memory systems.

Temple OS is the opposite of Windows in almost every way and as a result some of what is done is attractive due to it being different.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Well this is like those hobby OSes (or MS-DOS) that you would run on your own personal computer hardware.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Precisely.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

My opinion, if someone would write a decent GUI for it and make network support possible, it might be considered more viable for everyday use. But I know that would be a fork and never be done in the trunk, since 640x480 and not having Internet support are by design.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

It looks like an underlying system without the GUI, the GUI has yet to built. The man is a genius or utterly dedicated and focussed on the task in hand.
I do wish his work was actually of some use or at the very least barely usable... His genius does not extend to interfaces and usability, documentation nor presentation.

Why did God choose 640 x 480?
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I even tried multiplying 640x480, and that is around 307,000. If that had come up to 144,000 or some other Biblical number, then it would make sense as far as "God" choosing it.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

When you try to make an os that suits your needs you normally try to customise a working os that has all the functionality you could ever want, then you spend all that valuable time on making it appear to work in your desired manner. I did that with my steampunk widgets, icons, wallpapers, themeing, choosing fonts and the tools I have installed so that UI operates in that partially unique manner that I prefer. He has decided to build the os from scratch... and all the tools, utilities, components &c, designing each and every component in his own unique style. It is that inspired madness that intrigues me, that dedication.

Could he not amend the core to allow a variation to the original 640x 480 specifications? To allow a new way of appreciating his work/God's specification? He is clearly on the spectrum.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Or if nothing else, fork it and call it HereticOS or something. Because if I had the skills and mind to work with it, I'd make other resolutions possible, make a decent GUI, and add an IP stack.
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

http://www.templeos.org/
I found their site.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

I am checking it out.
:ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

One of the best things too is the graphics. As far as I've understood it's all code, and the graphics are (all?) computed in real-time.
And finally the "Rich-Text-Editor"-like stuff that allows you embedding graphics directly into text / source code. On Windows (for example) there's "Wordpad" (I'm not talking here about complicated word processors, but about something simple that works using markups). But for source code... ^^ One could imagine indeed referring to markups that enclose resources Inside a source document on Windows too 8^D