Learning C

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

PurpleGurl

Learning C

Post by PurpleGurl »

I installed CodeBlocks to see if I could use it to help learn C. That could come in handy here if I become proficient. It is a front-end for GCC under MinGW. Now, I was wanting practice writing simple programs that work within a window, not just console code as most of the examples are for. So I went to the graphics section of the tutorial site and pasted the code of a template Windows program. However, it was apparently written for Visual C and refused to build. If first complained about a missing include, which I assume is the one that is used to pull in PCH support. But it also complained about undeclared variables, booleans, etc. I don't know the differences between GCC and VC to fix it.

I can do all the simple stuff with a reference manual, but I don't know how to start writing Windows apps that operate in windows and not in the console. Any hints or tips on how I can proceed?
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbelusca
Developer

Re: Learning C

Post by hbelusca »

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Thank you. I just tried two examples from there and they work. On CProgramming, their example didn't work and the tutorial implied that it was for Visual C, but so far, the examples from the Windows programming site work.
Spinwiz

Post by Spinwiz »

Post by PurpleGurl » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:56 pm
Hi, In case you are interested I have just began learning ANSI-C myself. I have spent some time looking through the mass of documentation and tutorials available, and it can be confusing to say the least :/
Anyhows, I have Used a lot of High level scripting languages over the years and decided I needed to add some variant of C to my toolkit. ANSI-C, C++, OOP, Procedural, Classes, WIn32-API.. The brain twirled around in circles for some time and now I think I have direction. After working through Forgers I have decided to go back to Basics and stay with Command line ANSI-C until I get my head fully around the Base C library. I don't have any inclination toward OOP C++ at this point in time as most of my past experience is with Procedural programming, so I will most likely stay with that pathway (ANSI-C + Win32-API). Old school I know, but it fits with how the inside of my head works.
I am happy to share ideas and experiences if it help you with your pathway.

Best Regards
Alex