Possible ROS rig?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

LuxenDM

Possible ROS rig?

Post by LuxenDM »

When I jave time and money, I want to get ReactOS running on real hardware for entertainment and testing purposes.
Using pc parts picker, I put together a possible list of parts I want to use. Is there any known issues with the listed hardware? Unlisted hardware includes some unknown nvidia gt 620 variant video card, and an optical drive I can try to find the id to if you guys need it. Am I missing any hardware that would be needed for ReactOS?

Also, anything else I should keep in mind for putting RactOS on real hardware?
dizt3mp3r

Re: Possible ROS rig?

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I wouldn't do it if you actually want it to work.

For testing, academic, documentation purposes, by all means, otherwise use a stable non-alpha o/s.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
middings

Post by middings »

The suggested hardware seems capable of running ReactOS inside a virtual machine (VM).
LuxenDM wrote:Also, anything else I should keep in mind for putting RactOS on real hardware?
To run ReactOS without the use of a VM, I suggest obtaining a PC that was originally sold with a pre-installed copy Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Server 2003. Such a PC should have PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports. At this time, ReactOS does not reliably work with many USB keyboards or mouse designs. A LAN interface with a Realtek RTL8139-based network interface controller (NIC) is recommended, this is supported by the LAN driver included with ReactOS. Other NIC devices might work but the drivers of most other NICs do not install correctly at this time.

The usual warning still applies:
Installing ReactOS wrote:ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not stable or feature-complete
and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

I have to agree with middings in this one. Currently, ReactOS is in alpha stage which means it's prone to hang up easily on certain tasks or operations and whatnot. I'd otherwise recommend an old computer which still works to run ReactOS if you have one. If not, you can ask your friends or family relatives for an old PC if they have stopped using it for long.

That's enough for testing the OS, unless you have other priorities than testing then you should re-cap twice your decision.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page