DynamoRIO: Hardware Translation Layer like emulating SSE2

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Alahndro

DynamoRIO: Hardware Translation Layer like emulating SSE2

Post by Alahndro »

Just discovered the following: http://www.dynamorio.org/
DynamoRIO is a runtime code manipulation system that supports code transformations on any part of a program, while it executes
And especially the following:
DynamoRIO is available free of charge as a binary package for both Windows and Linux
Gonna try if it can be used to start i.e. Palemoon 26.5 + on old cpus

I also thought if it could one time be included into ReactOS, expanding the compatibility tab not only to select the OS but also the CPU
Alahndro

Re: DynamoRIO: Hardware Translation Layer like emulating SSE

Post by Alahndro »

Forgot to add the following most important link about the CPU emulator:

http://dynamorio.org/docs/page_drcpusim.html
Running the Simulator

To launch drcpusim, use the -t flag to drrun and specify a CPU model via the -cpu parameter:

Code: Select all

bin64/drrun -t drcpusim -cpu PentiumPro -- /path/to/target/app <args> <for> <app>
Alahndro

Post by Alahndro »

I was able to successfully run everest while emulating a lower cpu model. In this example it was a Pentium2 that got emulated on a Athlon XP. I tested this on Windows XP.

But when I commanded it to emulate a higher model, one that does support the SSE2 command, the whole system crashed.

I'm not yet sure if this is because of the complexity of Everest, or just because this kind of translation is not possible... Still I find this package very interesting regarding code development and maybe even to integrate it into ReactOS in the future as I envisioned it in the upper post.

The whole package can be used free of charge and the Code is available under BSD licence.
sdever

Post by sdever »

Hello,

It could be nice to make a bug report on Jira with a debug log if the app you tried made ReactOS to crash (and obviously doesn't crash Windows XP/Win2003).