Is ReactOS Libre/Open Source ?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Adcock

Is ReactOS Libre/Open Source ?

Post by Adcock »

ReactOS is free and open source . Does this means it is open source/libre ?
Hope you understand my question .
Open Your Windows To Freedom
PurpleGurl

Re: Is ReactOS Libre/Open Source ?

Post by PurpleGurl »

It is both free as in free beer and free as in freedom. It is GPL, so you are free to look at the source and incorporate it in your own code as long as you continue in like spirit. So as long as you are not using it to create closed works, then you are free to use the code, modify it, distribute it, etc. And it is always in good spirit of GPL if you make any changes that you make them available upstream.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Only thing we dislike is if ppl abuse our name for questionable stuff, but yes. Code is free in all ways, but the license is there and can't be changed, so all other stuff based on it has to keep it in the same license.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Another thing folks may forget is that when it comes to licenses, when you use stuff from other projects, the other projects may also be encumbered by the licenses of other projects. So a project like this one often cannot change its own license even if it wanted to since all of its code isn't theirs.

And yes, I've seen cases of misuse, such as a site with no connection to ReactOS soliciting money to "help" ReactOS. While we cannot go into specifics about what happens, let's just say it is something that requires due diligence, since nobody wants anyone to steal from the public in the name of the project.

----
One of the biggest problems I've seen in regards to the public's treatment of ROS is ignorance. Just go on YouTube and check out video comments. They make various false accusations, ranging from the silly -- "It's really just built using Linux code," to the libelous -- "I don't see how a project that uses leaked source code could be this terrible." I've tried to set some of the misinformation straight, but it persists, or they treat me like I'm stupid. I was in there explaining that it only uses the "upper" parts of Wine (and doesn't use the portions that directly communicate with Linux) and this guy comes on, calls me an idiot, then says the exact same thing I said using slightly different words.

Another common ignorant comment is, "I'm gonna release a ReactOS version of my application..." That shouldn't be necessary nor a goal. If a program only works on ROS, then there's a chance that both ReactOS and the application are defective. They should develop for Windows XP/2003, and if it doesn't work in ROS, but does work in Windows, then ROS needs work.