can we stop supporting closed source please?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

verserk

Re: can we stop supporting closed source please?

Post by verserk »

Tell us how you really feel val.
ReactOS: HP pavilion dv6500.
Konata

Post by Konata »

React-ozination wrote:
like DX12 has better performance over Vulkan
u r talking about a Vulkan which initiated just about 1 year ago ? its like comparing react OS with windows and saying oh hey look how windows is amazing!!
DirectX is heavily optimized for Windows and the graphics card drivers that are specifically designed for Windows. Nothing else will ever be able to out-perform DirectX just like POSIX programs will never be able to out-perform .NET applications because the CLR is also heavily optimized for Windows making heavy use of the WinAPI instead of slow, unsafe calls like malloc() and free(). You don't need to get butthurt over it, it's just a fact that software optimized for other software will always work better than one-size-fits-all solutions. This is why I generally prefer to just use DirectX than OpenGL, it's way faster and more stable. And I don't just mean for programming against, I also mean for applications like Dolphin that offer a choice between the two.

Don't like it? Offer a better product. Oh wait, the open source community doesn't care about quality or optimizations. Maybe this is why I stopped using open source software. ReactOS is the only exception since it's not trying to make it's own half-assed solution, it's implementing an already well-designed system, made by a corporation who actually cares about software being good and usable.
middings

Post by middings »

For some of us open source is a business model, sometimes appropriate and sometimes not. For others, it's their politics.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Or their religion / ideology :lol:
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

You do know that Linux runs a lot of closed source stuff, too, the biggest one is games and Steam. Also, didn't you know that Linux Mint use to bundle close source stuff in it's distro, and that is the most popular Linux distro. ZorinOS still bundles close source stuff, too.

It's not like the ReactOS team is close sourcing any of it's code. Whatever you run on ReactOS is your choice. Their goal is to run anything Windows can.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

TROLLWIESE!!! TROLLWIESE!!! TROLLWIESE!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

React-ozination wrote:
ROCKNROLLKID wrote: he horrible, sad truth is VMware performs better and faster then, let's say, VirtualBox. I personally use VirtualBox, but some people prefer performance over everything else, especially if they are testing games out
VMware better than virtualbox ? i used both and im mainly vbox user never saw a diff.
like DX12 has better performance over Vulkan
u r talking about a Vulkan which initiated just about 1 year ago ? its like comparing react OS with windows and saying oh hey look how windows is amazing!!
direct x 9-11 vs OpenGL
from technical pointview its not a fair comparison, because openGL goals is different than DirectX (though yes there r some similarity between them but the focus is different). to short the time read here

also never forget the platforms compatibility all DX r for windows and only windwos the rest r cross platforms ...etc and so on from multiple advantages that u can get on specially long term usage rather the propriety programs
As long as it is completely optional, it shouldn't be an issue. The developers have already stated anything they code for ReactOS will be completely open-source.
thats correct , and i hope React OS will do as it is claim to be open source. but not like Ubuntu ofcourse... (playing with words but actually u r in bifaces technology installed i dont think it will work anymore in the future , because users more and more r knowing what is their rights to use when its coming to open source projects.

Thank you
Sorry I didn't see this post before. First of all, Vulkan started off from AMD Mantle driver, which started in 2013, and was completely overhauled and combined with some OpenGL assets.. Second of all, DX12 is totally rewritten from previous Direct X renders and DX12 is only 2 years ago, so your argument is invalid. Thirdly, OpenGL may had some differences to DX, the purpose of it is to render the game and dx has always gotten better fps then opengl. It doesn't matter how you try to view things, it all comes down to the same thing. I always favor open-source over closed source any day, but these are the real world facts. Heck, even SteamOS bundles closed source components in it, too.
React-ozination

Post by React-ozination »

hbelusca wrote:
Objection: you can have a chipset vendor (worse, for EFI platforms for example, the EFI firmware manufacturer), who can program the chip so that it dumps (parts of) the HDD data and transmits it over the internet through the Ethernet controller, behind the back of your OS, even if you're using QubesOS or whatever else. There are other numerous examples.
For example:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2948092/ ... talls.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3179348/ ... tkits.html
(for EFI stuff)
and http://www.zdnet.com/article/hardware-b ... nreliable/ , or http://hackaday.com/2015/06/08/hard-dri ... ersistent/.
Dear, i dunno if u have read what have been leaked from the hacking team in that time but there is no evidence of all operating systems hack. but only effects non-secure operating system which have been installed in clear/plain text inside the hard drive, and by cross connection from the vulnerability which is located in the infected OS u can access the OS.

gladly that almost all linux operating systems coming with hard drive encryption, unlikey what windows installation do.

so again , open source technology securing itself by design. its even can secure u what windows cant secure u until now for example:-

anti evil maid

talking about security and comparing open and closed source with it = sure the open source is the winner by all means. all what u can get from the closed source software security is " security through obscurity".

Thanks
React-ozination

it's actually very easy to not see what is non-existent. ... unless you are in the Stallman sect, they really have problems with reality.
It's actually funny how longstanding this butthurt is. If linux fans were that active in development, as they are in butthurting about Windows, linux had already around 3% of the desktop market share. instead of <1% :lol:
if u r talking about ppl who playing games and comparing windows with linux, will yeah linux less popular. but if u r talking from servers , mobiles , to resources usage , compatibility with old pcs ,or security/hacking platforms ...etc all of that the winner is really linux.

but an average user cant c that ofcourse.

If you believe linux is superior, then you, teaching the local community, collected around an NT-clone OS to drop support for what you think is "bad" (as in bad beer and bad speech) look especially stupid. why do you care? go and recompile your god given kernel. :lol:
You know what is worse than linux itself in your communities? these annoying fanatics. arrogant or blatant, insane or just high on drugs - they all are the worst thing to look at. they are everywhere. even here - on the NT-like OS forum pages.
not worth to argue ...
btw all what i did , is asking simple question or request
and what it looked like:
I'd call it a hystery of a FSF zealot.
which is what so called "request".

Thanks
val

Post by val »

blablabla ... to resources usage ... blablabla
btw, this is the main reason, I don't see linux a good OS. this is the main reason I never will be using it by my will. It always is more resource hungry than Windows. especially considering CPU time. it loads CPU way more in similar circumstances. First comparison in the desktop usage and you see that clearly. Linux is less efficient in this respect. because its code is worse, the code paths are longer, it lacks architecture, it is a mess. Funny enough, console linux program "top" takes the same memory as Windows GUI taskmanager. xD and takes more cpu.
linux is an underdeveloped crappy clone of unix. nothing new, nothing innovative, just a pile of code put together and screwed up enough to somehow run. the only reason it is used is the goal of cutting off financial spendings. sacrifying quality, many corporations use it to not spend more money. deal with it. :)
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

React-ozination wrote:
not worth to argue ...
btw all what i did , is asking simple question or request
and what it looked like:
I'd call it a hystery of a FSF zealot.
which is what so called "request".

Thanks
...which was answered in the first 2 post. You are the one who kind of made it into a argument.
Konata

Post by Konata »

React-ozination wrote: gladly that almost all linux operating systems coming with hard drive encryption, unlikey what windows installation do.

1. Linux doesn't come with hard drive encryption
2. Windows does, it's called BitLocker. It's a driver that works between Windows and the NTFS driver, which is also far more advanced than any filesystem solution Linux has. It's insanely secure, it has to be because governments use it.

Since we're talking about security, I may as well go ahead and mention the Object Manager. The Object Manager in Windows NT is responsible for all things that happen inside Windows, and thus it can also be controlled by a sysadmin to control and regulate what users and programs can do on the operating system. It is all-powerful and, with the right settings, can make a specific Windows installation the most secure operating system on the planet. Linux has no such concept, software can do whatever it wants with nothing to tell it otherwise. It's the opposite of secure. See also Group Policy.
Your garbage operating system is poorly designed and has horrible security and architecture. This is why ReactOS exists, to make a good open-source operating system. Because aside from it, none others exist.
React-ozination

Konata wrote:
1. Linux doesn't come with hard drive encryption
2. Windows does, it's called BitLocker. It's a driver that works between Windows and the NTFS driver, which is also far more advanced than any filesystem solution Linux has. It's insanely secure, it has to be because governments use it.
Bitlocker is actually data encryption tool , not system encryption tool. and there is no pre-installation encryption from windows because they dont provide that (if so , can u please give us screenshot or video showing windows that giving u the opportunity to encrypt ur disk before u install the OS?). and also add it is a Proprietary software. so how do u know there is no backdoor inside it ? how do u know its better than anything that exist ? believe me whatever u say technically not useful , because without viewing the code = any security claim is just claim but no proves.

Since we're talking about security, I may as well go ahead and mention the Object Manager. The Object Manager in Windows NT is responsible for all things that happen inside Windows, and thus it can also be controlled by a sysadmin to control and regulate what users and programs can do on the operating system. It is all-powerful and, with the right settings, can make a specific Windows installation the most secure operating system on the planet. Linux has no such concept, software can do whatever it wants with nothing to tell it otherwise. It's the opposite of secure. See also Group Policy.
u think windows has that and linux dont ? sorry but the idea of integrating that into linux happened before windows exist , take a look at chroot for example.

also actually there r even better projects than what u have in windows:-

Apparmor , SElinux (has some traces development by the NSA , so if u consider just because the government using something then its holy secure well then this project better than Object manager) , TOMOYO ...etc.

Your garbage operating system is poorly designed and has horrible security and architecture.

can u prove that windows has better security and architecture than linux ? oh sorry u cant because windows is closed source os.

also can u please tell windows to provide "security and Architecture" design which can stop or reduce the malwares and viruses infections inside it? (because windows looks more uglier than a zombie at the moment (specially after WannaCry Ransomware))

This is why ReactOS exists, to make a good open-source operating system. Because aside from it, none others exist.
actually ReactOS supporting the theory or the concept of open source (thats why its really nice) which linux believed along its way, but not windows, which is still fighting it until now.

Thanks
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

1. I know for a fact with Ubuntu you can get a CD to encrypt the drive, not sure about the other distros. 2. I can tell you have never used a Windows system before, at least not any vista+ windows systems because you can encrypt your whole drive with Bit locker. Please look it up. 3. Disk encrypts do not stop hackers nor do they stop NSA back doors, so saying "what if it had a backdoor in it" wouldn't matter. 4. Linux does have lots of exploit shielding properties that Windows never added until win10. They did have a tool though called EMET, but wasn't very known to a lot of people. 5. There was already a patch out before the WannaCry ransomware attack started. The patch was out in the March 2017 updates. The attacks started in May 2017. The ones who got hit were people who don't update their systems and that was their own fault for not keeping their system up-to-date. Seriously, have you ever used a Windows system before?

But I think all of you are missing the bigger picture here. We are talking about ReactOS solving a problem with Windows and that is open-source, so I don't know why you still keep attacking ReactOS when it's trying to do good for the FOSS world. We also have to think about the average user, who has very little to no knowledge of this kind of stuff. They don't care about encryption, security, or anything else like that. They just want a OS that does it all and that's what Windows was always good with. Now we got ReactOS that is capable to do everything Windows can and it is open-source. It's the best of both worlds.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

React-ozination wrote: Bitlocker is actually data encryption tool , not system encryption tool. and there is no pre-installation encryption from windows because they dont provide that (if so , can u please give us screenshot or video showing windows that giving u the opportunity to encrypt ur disk before u install the OS?). and also add it is a Proprietary software. so how do u know there is no backdoor inside it ? how do u know its better than anything that exist ? believe me whatever u say technically not useful , because without viewing the code = any security claim is just claim but no proves.
Bitlocker automatically encrypts all drives on setup when your hardware is TPM 2.0 capable and that started with Windows 8. If your hardware is only capable of some pseudo useful ways then you are on your own, true that.
u think windows has that and linux dont ? sorry but the idea of integrating that into linux happened before windows exist , take a look at chroot for example.

also actually there r even better projects than what u have in windows:-

Apparmor , SElinux (has some traces development by the NSA , so if u consider just because the government using something then its holy secure well then this project better than Object manager) , TOMOYO ...etc.
can u prove that windows has better security and architecture than linux ? oh sorry u cant because windows is closed source os.

also can u please tell windows to provide "security and Architecture" design which can stop or reduce the malwares and viruses infections inside it? (because windows looks more uglier than a zombie at the moment (specially after WannaCry Ransomware))
You are accusing ROS/Windows here because of some kindergarten niveau *youaresoeviljustbecauseIambetterthanyou*, so why don't you give any proof? And if you dare to argue by telling us that it's closed source and thus evil, I will ban you immediately. So, come on, tell us, give us proof!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...