Freeware Windows based on Microsoft Hyper-V Server

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lotusisrael

Re: Freeware Windows based on Microsoft Hyper-V Server

Post by Lotusisrael »

And, by the way, I would never buy a Mac or anything Apple or Microsoft labeled, I have my own principles. As long as I can use their software and services for free and legally, I shall do it.
Konata

Post by Konata »

Lotusisrael wrote:Regarding the origin of Windows NT, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVMS
C and C++ were created for Unix, by the people who made Unix and maintain it. Dec OS was build around Dave Cutler, who hated Unix, but used C and C++ to develop Dec OS, especially VMS. He reproduced many Unix features in his OS. Now he is working at Xbox, it seems. VMS, in late period of the presence of Dave Cutler on DEC, it even ran X Window System, that is the display server on most GnuLinux versions. It seems weird why Dave Cutler admitted that, in the early period of the design of Windows NT, that he aimed for Posix compatibility. I admit, I am a fanatic of Unix-like things. Why? I do not know exactly. Perhaps that I like seeing order, heyrachy and I find intuitive that C and its derivates to be part of a Unix-like system, not a Dec-like system, since they were developed as a whole, and Dec OS and its modern form, Windows NT, seem like something illogical in itself, according to this perspective. There is, still, one Unix-like OS I truly hate, and that is Android, especially due to the Java factor in it.
I said I was done with the OS discussion, but, still, it's nagging at me to clarify this.
C was made to implement Unix. That doesn't mean an OS written in it is Unix. All C does is abstract machine-specific assembly language. That's it. C isn't for Unix, it's the standard operating system language, just because of how straightforward the translation from C to assembly code is. It's so straight-forward you can usually visualize what any given C code will output to.
And C++ wasn't created for Unix, C++ came way later and it was just to add object-oriented features to C. It was more of a application thing than an OS thing.
Are you actually implying an OS written in C is automatically Unix? You really need to brush up on your OS architecture. As I often believe, people who like Unix don't understand OS architecture, which is why gods like Cutler hate it.
Do not pretend you know more than Dave Cutler. I will suffer brain damage from laughing so hard and then sue you for the medical bill.
Lotusisrael wrote:And, by the way, I would never buy a Mac or anything Apple or Microsoft labeled, I have my own principles. As long as I can use their software and services for free and legally, I shall do it.
Disregarding a technical piece of equipment for something as untechnical as misinformed principles is very naive. Again, you really need to read up on the actual technical side of technology, not the fairy-world of made-up morals. You sound like a politician.
Last edited by Konata on Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
middings

Post by middings »

A word to the newbies: Before blowing into somebody else's web forum with your world-beating idea, you ought to read the forum's Code of Conduct. It's right up there in the Announcements section of every forum here. You've broken Rule 6 several times already, Lotusisrael.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Konata wrote: Disregarding a technical piece of equipment for something as untechnical as misinformed principles is very naive. Again, you really need to read up on the actual technical side of technology, not the fairy-world of made-up morals. You sound like a politician.
Although this thread is a general pain in the rear end I will say that I am just as guilty with regard to my moral reasons for avoiding hardware/software. I avoid Microsoft offerings of software (except for the single exception of Windows) . Having been burnt by the purchase of MS software made intrinsically obsolete by MS shortly/soon after purchase (VB6, Frontpage). Planned obsolescence or creative destruction are terms that infuriate me. Changes to GUIs/UIXs in operating systems, particularly os-es (to fool the layman into thinking they have to buy a new o/s) are particularly galling especially when the previous methods of configuration are also removed. They do not realise that for some, removal of a UIX that we have become familiar and productive with is akin to personal theft.

From the point that those organisations pursue this successful but from my point of view criminal strategy, I tend to avoid those organisations. My admittedly Windows laptop is loaded with open source applications for everything except for Windows itself, Adobe Photoshop, Xwidget engine, and three previous generation games that I still play, in the total War series. I would be happy to pay for upgrades and extensions so that I could retain my investment in the software as long as they are reasonable but I was always made too furious to offer MS any more cash. VB6 cost me hundreds in initial cost and then more in time invested, Frontpage was a couple of hundred only to have MS abandon it very soon after. My experience with Apple hardware is similar, being a purchaser of Iphones II /IV and ipads III/IV. At least Apple produce something that fits the market (old folk and kiddie computers you poke with your fingers).

I suppose that I have a long memory and that old saying applies - once bitten, twice shy.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Konata

Post by Konata »

dizt3mp3r wrote:
Konata wrote: Disregarding a technical piece of equipment for something as untechnical as misinformed principles is very naive. Again, you really need to read up on the actual technical side of technology, not the fairy-world of made-up morals. You sound like a politician.
Although this thread is a general pain in the rear end I will say that I am just as guilty with regard to my moral reasons for avoiding hardware/software. I avoid Microsoft offerings of software (except for the single exception of Windows) . Having been burnt by the purchase of MS software made intrinsically obsolete by MS shortly/soon after purchase (VB6, Frontpage). Planned obsolescence or creative destruction are terms that infuriate me. Changes to GUIs/UIXs in operating systems, particularly os-es (to fool the layman into thinking they have to buy a new o/s) are particularly galling especially when the previous methods of configuration are also removed. They do not realise that for some, removal of a UIX that we have become familiar and productive with is akin to personal theft.

From the point that those organisations pursue this successful but from my point of view criminal strategy, I tend to avoid those organisations. My admittedly Windows laptop is loaded with open source applications for everything except for Windows itself, Adobe Photoshop, Xwidget engine, and three previous generation games that I still play, in the total War series. I would be happy to pay for upgrades and extensions so that I could retain my investment in the software as long as they are reasonable but I was always made too furious to offer MS any more cash. VB6 cost me hundreds in initial cost and then more in time invested, Frontpage was a couple of hundred only to have MS abandon it very soon after. My experience with Apple hardware is similar, being a purchaser of Iphones II /IV and ipads III/IV. At least Apple produce something that fits the market (old folk and kiddie computers you poke with your fingers).

I suppose that I have a long memory and that old saying applies - once bitten, twice shy.
Well you have a valid point, you've had a history of abuse. And while I can't personally agree with your views, they're valid all the same and I respect them. OP, however, hasn't yet offered any reason aside from a small world view.
Lotusisrael

Post by Lotusisrael »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Although this thread is a general pain in the rear end I will say that I am just as guilty with regard to my moral reasons for avoiding hardware/software. I avoid Microsoft offerings of software (except for the single exception of Windows) . Having been burnt by the purchase of MS software made intrinsically obsolete by MS shortly/soon after purchase (VB6, Frontpage). Planned obsolescence or creative destruction are terms that infuriate me. Changes to GUIs/UIXs in operating systems, particularly os-es (to fool the layman into thinking they have to buy a new o/s) are particularly galling especially when the previous methods of configuration are also removed. They do not realise that for some, removal of a UIX that we have become familiar and productive with is akin to personal theft.

I myself avoid comercialware software, I try to use open source when possible. On my laptop I use Windows Server 2016, due to the fact that I do not have drivers (or Unix equivalent of drivers) for a key component of the hardware, but I avoid any paid software, firstly because I do not have money to spend on software and, second of all, because I believe in open source. For example, I do not use BitTorrent or uTorrent, because they are proprietary software, I use the open source Transmission. If I would ever need the edit photos, I will not use Photoshop, even if I had money to buy it, but Gimp. I believe in freedom and destruction of restriction. Sometimes we can and have to avoid proprietary software, sometimes we can and have to be smart and use proprietary software free, legal. Like using free Dreamspark (Imagine) licenses for Windows or Hackintoshing (where laws allow it).
Konata

Post by Konata »

Lotusisrael wrote: I myself avoid comercialware software, I try to use open source when possible. On my laptop I use Windows Server 2016, due to the fact that I do not have drivers (or Unix equivalent of drivers) for a key component of the hardware, but I avoid any paid software, firstly because I do not have money to spend on software and, second of all, because I believe in open source. For example, I do not use BitTorrent or uTorrent, because they are proprietary software, I use the open source Transmission. If I would ever need the edit photos, I will not use Photoshop, even if I had money to buy it, but Gimp. I believe in freedom and destruction of restriction. Sometimes we can and have to avoid proprietary software, sometimes we can and have to be smart and use proprietary software free, legal. Like using free Dreamspark (Imagine) licenses for Windows or Hackintoshing (where laws allow it).
Again,

Why?
Lotusisrael

Post by Lotusisrael »

Konata wrote: Again,

Why?
How shall I say? My own principles regarding freedom and openness? Due to my inner anarchism? Due to the fact that I am (pretty much) a Richard Stallman fan? I consider commercial and proprietary software as a restriction of freedom and of the access to information. Big companies like Microsoft, Apple and Google are immoral in themselves, so I think their software and services need to used without supporting them financially, if possible, if you can not avoid using them. In order to hit them and go against them for the sake of a principle.
val

Post by val »

Lotusisrael wrote:
Konata wrote: Again,

Why?
How shall I say? My own principles regarding freedom and openness? Due to my inner anarchism? Due to the fact that I am (pretty much) a Richard Stallman fan? I consider commercial and proprietary software as a restriction of freedom and of the access to information. Big companies like Microsoft, Apple and Google are immoral in themselves, so I think their software and services need to used without supporting them financially, if possible, if you can not avoid using them. In order to hit them and go against them for the sake of a principle.
LOL. Richard Stallman's fans are mostly insane, just as much as their fuehrer. BUT. Not everyone! This excuse of stealing someone's work is just brilliant in its ingenuity, it could not have been thought out by some crackpot.
that was hilarious. :D

I thought the best excuse of stealing would be a refference to one's financial inabilty... NO, shit, it's just those companies, they are immoral! they endanger your freedom. so go, steal their products, you, f&cking Robin Hood, with your big shiny and pulsing anarchism inside.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I hate this thread.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Konata

Post by Konata »

Lotusisrael wrote: How shall I say? My own principles regarding freedom and openness? Due to my inner anarchism? Due to the fact that I am (pretty much) a Richard Stallman fan? I consider commercial and proprietary software as a restriction of freedom and of the access to information. Big companies like Microsoft, Apple and Google are immoral in themselves, so I think their software and services need to used without supporting them financially, if possible, if you can not avoid using them. In order to hit them and go against them for the sake of a principle.
I would have mentioned how you didn't actually give me a reason, again, but this caught my attention:
Lotusisrael wrote: so I think their software and services need to used without supporting them financially, if possible, if you can not avoid using them. In order to hit them and go against them for the sake of a principle.
For a so-called Stallman fan this goes against everything he teaches and he would probably chew you out for saying this. You're not supposed to use proprietary software, ever. Even for free. Especially for free. If you use their software you're supporting them.

What you believe in, using software for free, anarchy. These aren't ideologies, what you're preaching is to be a freeloader living off someone else's hard work and occasionally spit in their face for... Well, existing, since you won't give a proper answer. These companies make these wonderful products you use every day and take for granted, maintain and give support for free, and, you hate them for that? You freeload off their hard work and you can't even be grateful?
I mean, if you want to hate those companies then go ahead, but at least learn to be a Stallman worshiper properly.
Lotusisrael

Post by Lotusisrael »

I did some googling. It seems there existed some sound card emulation in the years back, to emulate DOS (and DOS based environments), based on Creative Sound Blaster software. If I remember right, Sound Blaster audio cards were different from standard sound cards in their software installation. Not just the drivers were installed, but also an audio service different from Windows Audio itself. It is still emulated in VMware Workstation. If I were to find a standalone installer for a Sound Blaster emulator, this may work. I do not know. It is clear not many people had my idea before, so this is pretty much uncharted waters. Of course, things like hacking into VMware Workstation to get it are unacceptable.
Lotusisrael

Post by Lotusisrael »

Microsoft has just published the first beta for Windows Server 2016 Fall Creators Update. It is server-core only, there are some clear clues the final version will be only nano server and server core, so practically no GUI. If Windows Audio will be unavailable, if you manage to put up a replacement for it, it would be in high demand for server administrator and for people using a freeware license of WS as a workstation (like me). Even if it is free and open source, you can still get a lot of donations to keep develop it. And, indirectly, this will support the development of the full ReactOS. But we shall see how the final WS 2016 Creators Update will be.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... viewserver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rnqN0NJ3bA
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi

interesting idea

a bit off topic but do you know you can still get the windows 10 free upgrade or is that a downgrade ? :? using the windows 10 media creation tool ass long as you have a valid and activated windows 7 or 8 install
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

You can even get the ISO for free. However, Windows 10 installer only accepts Windows 7/8.1 upgrades when installer is started in Windows 7/8.1, not booted standalone.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2