Neptune OS ?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Adcock

Neptune OS ?

Post by Adcock »

Do you know about Neptune OS, which is an operating system inspired by Windows 2000, using the ReactOS codebase? :?
Open Your Windows To Freedom
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Neptune OS ?

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, do you have a link? If you mean this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Neptune this is a official MS Beta between Win2k and Codename Whistler which became XP.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

EmuandCo wrote:Well, do you have a link? If you mean this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Neptune this is a official MS Beta between Win2k and Codename Whistler which became XP.
No.
This is on Riot.
I use Riot.
I was searching for ReactOS Room but this is the closest thing that had come up.
This is the description : "Neptune OS, is a operating system inspired by Windows 2000, using the ReactOS codebase."
oldman

Post by oldman »

Does he mean this?
Neptune OS alpha
Neptune is a kernel and operating system for x86 PCs.

Brought to you by: omarx024
https://sourceforge.net/projects/neptun ... s/Release/

Download neptune_0.1_alpha_9521.zip (2.9 kB)

2.9 Kb! I do not think that it uses the ReactOS kernel!

For information on customizing Neptune, go to:
http://neptuneos.eu.pn/devel.html

The link goes no where, I get "Pale Moon can't find the server at neptuneos.eu.pn."

This project (if that is what you can call it) was last updated nearly 3 years ago.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

I don't know. Come to Riot and see for yourself. There is an admin there too. He is currently offline.
If I can talk to him I will update this topic.

Why isn't there a Riot Room for ReactOS?
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Well, the current Neptune OS is actually made from Debian, so it is Linux.

https://neptuneos.com/en/start-page.html

And the old Neptune codename, not the same as the above, was an old test version of Windows that was newer than 2000 but abandoned before XP came out.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

One day in the far future perhaps, people will come to the ReactOS website and they'll say "I've seen this old o/s and it looks just like ReactOS 7.5 , I think they've ripped off your code". We'll take a look at the code and we'll find out its that little-known o/s, Windows.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

I could not find anything else
So this is the screenshot.
Some things have been blurred.
You might need to zoom.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not a part of Neptune OS.
I just joined the room and so my avatar and name is being shown.

[ external image ]
Last edited by Adcock on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

The chat room interface of Riot looks kinda similar to the one of Discord. Hmm.

OT aside, I never heard of an Operating System called "NeptuneOS" using ReactOS as its codebase. I'm not sure how much they'd succeed with this project, they didn't even release a website presenting the OS.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yes, so it sounds like the name is being used for 3 different OSs:

1. The Windows trial for a successor to 2000, but XP pulled together both the home and commercial markets, and thus Windows "Neptune" was abandoned. There are old ISOs of it floating around the filesharing/torrent world, but it has some serious bugs in its Explorer or something, even if one gets around the activation/expiration code.

2. The Neptune OS that is built from Debian Linux.

3. Some small scale experimental OS claiming to be built from ReactOS. I wish them success, but like most ROS forks or even "distros," I doubt this one will remain either. Now if one of these types of forks were a number of people with attitude conflicts with ReactOS Foundation or some other disagreement, and they actually did work on things that are not currently being tackled in ROS, and they bring it or allow it to come back to ROS (per the GPL, etc.), then I wouldn't have a problem. But most of the forks are people who don't know what they are doing, bite off more than they can chew, or want to make a name for themselves on ReactOS's back.
Fraizeraust wrote:The chat room interface of Riot looks kinda similar to the one of Discord. Hmm.
Yes, it sounds like a parody, since even the name implies similar.
Lachu

Post by Lachu »

I invite everybody on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16683

I decided to create os, which will use Linux (kernel), GNU, Plasma5 and (suprise) ReactOS (like coLinux was modified Linux and rootless X, my OS will be GNU/Linux + modified ReactOS).