OpenGL and DirectX or ReactX ?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Adcock

OpenGL and DirectX or ReactX ?

Post by Adcock »

See this first.
florian wrote:And let's not forget ReactX (as an intended DirectX substitute) which was once tried to be developed by some members of ReactOS.
florian wrote 'was'. Does that mean ReactX is not going to be developed anymore?
By the way. How is the OpenGL doing?
If ReactOS will be 100 percent MS Windows compatible then ReactX is not important, right? Isn't DirectX enough?
( I mean we should be able to use MS DirectX on ReactOS. )
Why ReactX then?
What will we do with ReactX on beagleboard? ( I see no other reason ) ( IA32 programs don't run on ARM natively, right? )
Isn't OpenGL enough on ARM ?
( At least from gaming point of view )
My actual question is why develop ReactX at all?
Please update that ReactX page.( If required )
What versions of OpenGL work as of 0.4.6?

I asked these questions here because the other topic is not about the same subject.
I am not a programmer.
Open Your Windows To Freedom
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: OpenGL and DirectX or ReactX ?

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

I don't think they have abandon it, it's just it's A LOT of work because ReactOS developers actually want to make it a hardware render and not just some software rendered translation from OpenGL like Wine does.

Direct X is as important as OpenGL/Vulkan is when it comes to gaming. Almost all, if not all, of Deep Silver, EA, Square Enix, Remedy Entertainment and ofc MS games are all with Direct X.

I don't think you should worry about rendering right now when there is still a lot of lack of hardware compatibility. The last update improved it some, but theres still a lot more needed to be done. I am curious how they will accomplish Ryzen support, though.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

If I know correctly, native DirectX is a lot of work at the moment, and ReactOS have OpenGL support (don't know the status though). Currently sticking with Wine decreases the workload, but it has to change in the future.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Will 'Wine' be removed when ReactOS is complete?
There is a control panel option for Wine.
I mean keep Wine code but remove Wine.
Why keep it?
What I am trying to say is that shouldn't everything be done in Windows way?
oldman

Post by oldman »

If I remember correctly, ReactX was being developed by a developer who went by the the name of Greatlord (Magnus Olson?). I think there was some disagreement about something, that I cannot now remember, and he left the project. I have seen is name appear since, but not for submitting code, only in a discussion on the mailing list.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

That's what ReacOS does. There is no ‘Wine’ in ReactOS, just Wine code. :)
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

hto wrote:
That's what ReacOS does. There is no ‘Wine’ in ReactOS, just Wine code. :)
Then what is that control panel applet doing there?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Did you open the panel? Did you see what it does? Do you realize that there are OPTIONS you can alter for WineD3D? Do you even realize that there is NO Wine anywhere, only code, EVEN ON LINUX?
No, no, no and no?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

EmuandCo wrote:Did you open the panel? Did you see what it does? Do you realize that there are OPTIONS you can alter for WineD3D? Do you even realize that there is NO Wine anywhere, only code, EVEN ON LINUX?
No, no, no and no?
No. I did not try it much.
It is of course a wrapper that helps to maybe convert DirectX to OpenGL to Hardware.
So it is a parts of Wine.
Remove it.
Wait. Does that mean that we can theoretically run any DirectX program if OpenGL is capable?
Is there a wiki page? ( WineD3D )
It could be helpful.

Oh. I told you about time problem. It still exists. I also told DangerGround. Can you tell them?
Please.
Last edited by Adcock on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Priority #1: Get the OS stable
Priority #2: Get drivers of any kind work better
Priority #3-283462: Other stuff
Priority #INFINITE: Native DX would be nice.

The wrapper does a great job so far and thus has zero priority to be replaced in current state. OpenGL working means that DX works too, yeah.
You know that we take a big amount of dlls from wine, too? These will stay for sure btw
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
milon

Post by milon »

Adcock wrote: No. I did not try it much.
It is of course a wrapper that helps to maybe convert DirectX to OpenGL to Hardware.
Remove it.
Erm, the Wine and ReactOS projects share a lot of code with each other. It's a mutually beneficial relationship that improves both projects. It's not some random "bloatware" the devs added in because they had nothing better to do. It's what actually makes DirectX work in ReactOS.

... unless you'd like to code an opensource implementation of the DirectX protocol (9, 10, and 11 if not others too) that's stable and fast on all targeted hardware platforms?

Oh, and the Wine code in ReactOS isn't just responsible for DirectX functionality. There's a lot of other functionality that's tied to Wine's opensource code which ReactOS utilizes. Because why reinvent the wheel when there's already an existing opensource & stable wheel that you can use instead?
middings

Post by middings »

Adcock wrote: No. I did not try it (WineD3D/WineD3D panel) much.
Remove it....
Adcock's remarks remind me of the first formal programming class that I ever took. This happened back in the days of 'Big Iron', pre-Altair 8800. The instructor described how our student FORTRAN programs would (I paraphrase from memory) be read by the card reading machine, then sent to the compiler to be processed into machine code before being run on the computer. This description led me to (mistakenly) expect to see a box marked "compiler" attached to the computer. When the class was given a brief tour of the air-conditioned computer room, I asked "Where is the compiler?" (That was a very embarrassing mistake.)

When we of the ReactOS community say that ReactOS uses Wine or (more accurately) that ReactOS uses Wine code, some of our readers naively conclude that there's a separate module/routine/subsystem in ReactOS marked 'Wine'. Some open source projects are built in that fashion, using another project's work as a subsystem to perform a distinct function or service for the project's own software. However, ReactOS does not use Wine's code that way. Instead, ReactOS uses Wine code in bits and pieces. This is another method that open source projects use when sharing code. Wine and ReactOS must solve some of the same problems, thus using select pieces of Wine code is helpful to the ReactOS project. To take the Wine code out of ReactOS is not like taking one puppy out of a litter. It is more like trying to take the shared DNA of one puppy out of all the puppies in the litter.
TVA

Post by TVA »

So DirecX/ReactX support is not possible because ROS can't run on hardware? That is understandable but I imagine Wine could benefit a lot from ReactX, maybe the development of ReactX could start on linux.
middings

Post by middings »

TVA wrote:So DirectX/ReactX support is not possible because ROS can't run on hardware?
I do not understand your question. I believe your question rests on some incorrect assumptions about ReactOS (ROS).

Native ReactOS DirectX/ReactX support is possible. However, the active developers (devs) of ReactOS presently have other priorities. The ReactOS project accepts patches.

ReactOS runs on hardware. However, in its alpha level of development, ReactOS hardware support is not yet feature-complete. The devs are working on improving ReactOS's support for hardware driver software.
That is understandable but I imagine Wine could benefit a lot from ReactX, maybe the development of ReactX could start on Linux.
Both the Wine and ReactOS projects accept patches.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

You can NOT start a DirectX clone which is Windows compatible on anything else than a Windows. Linux is no Windows and is in NO way compatible in that low levels we talk about.