possable crowdfund project?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Darune Albane

possable crowdfund project?

Post by Darune Albane »

with how big the tinker board community has gotten (pi, odroid, udoo, etc) has reactOS team leaders ever thought about creating an SBC setup using reactOS as its main setup .. will give you a standardized base to have a complete driver base built to run perfectly with the hardware at a possible decent price.

4core/?thread 32/64 bit? maybe do a ram chip slot so people will supply their own? video/WiFi/Bluetooth built in, HDMI, plug for an ssd, emmc on board preloaded with ReactOS, ? number of USB 1-2-3/USBc/thunderbolt (thunderbolt will let person do external GPU)

looking at the board setup with a 4core/4-8 thread CPU 200 +100 for board itself so 300 (if do lower/older cpu can prob drop board to sub 200)
special case with 2 layers bottom layer SSD location top board location with needed openings for your selected ports and an active cooling fan 100

so 300-400 for a dedicated system (these numbers are what end point pays not producers no idea profit level would be)

P.S. not 100% Sure about the core/thread count and with old programs not able to handle multi thread stuff might be able to just use a single core or 2 core setup to go cheap but the single ram slot is a must IMO
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: possable crowdfund project?

Post by EmuandCo »

Nope, noone did. Why? Well, all your mentioned boards are ARM arch based and we don't support ARM yet.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Darune Albane

Post by Darune Albane »

https://www.udoo.org/get-started-x86/
https://shop.udoo.org/usa/?___from_store=usa&popup=no

both 4 cores 4 threads one at 2.24ghz other at 2.56ghz 4gb and 8gb ram version 174/267 $ chip supports 8gb total ram in 2 channels

something like that but specifically made so that the OS will have all the drivers out of the box .. plus the board had extra controllers for the tinker board community that can be left off. so with a ram slot instead of ram on board you can probably drop the price 100-200 depending on board type so the total cost for the board using the same chips that udoo is using will/can prob be 75-100 but THIS community probably would like a bit higher spec video setup and more threads which is where i upped the price the way i did

edit their upcoming udoo bolt is a bit of what i was thinking of without all the tinker board setup it is using the AMD Ryzen CPU
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

Darune Albane wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:08 pm with how big the tinker board community has gotten (pi, odroid, udoo, etc)
Now go to tinker board community and bring some core developers / programmers here. :lol:

Otherwise this looks like spam.
Darune Albane

Post by Darune Albane »

Then keep some of the diff ports that they use and get some programs setup for the type of "projects" they like and release the board you can probably pull some from there that hate the OS that they are using, i don't tinker or program i am an the dreaded end user.

When i found reactOS i fell in love/lust :lol: i miss my old win 2k but i do not have the cash level to help in even a minor way but if there was a product that i can get "little comp" i can justify it. you cannot believe how tempted i am to donate to them for their BOLT (would want ReactOS on it) but if i can get here to do it would serve a higher calling "the thing looks to be less then a 5x5 size board" so i can see this being the same size

P.S. did the link to show that there are x86 boards out there, am hoping ReactOS might think about it if they do i will be on it like a fat man on bacon
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

If you can port ReactOS to ARM, then go right ahead, we won't try to stop you. And if you demonstrate success and meet whatever requirements of the team, it is conceivably possible (and this is just my personal opinion and nothing official) you could be accepted as part of the "official" ARM port team. But right now, that seems like an exercise in futility, and you might also want to port some popular open source programs since I am not personally aware of any Windows program that has been ported to an ARM-based Windows.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

There are ways to port open source software for Windows RT. This might be of use, but typical closed source apps... nope, none ported.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Darune Albane

Post by Darune Albane »

Will say it again the CPU is NOT ARM is x86 what reactOS is set to run on so NO changes to the os just need to write/edit drivers for what stuff is put on the board.

Although from reading forums can save even more cost since no multicore support atm so can do a lower core setup
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

I would guess we are in the Creating Software section. Maybe we could get enough for some Full-time developers. I'm already thing about how much this could help development.
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
Darune Albane

Post by Darune Albane »

Board requirements
Duel core cpu 32/64? Single or multi?
4/8 gb ram
Video 1080p hdmi out
On board storage emmc/m.2
Wifi/bluetooth onboard
Usb a/c, sd, other to be determined ??? Opinion

Checking prices on board design and production for possable crowdfund once i get more info will pass on

Need info what you think so far keep going or drop it
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Darune Albane wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:16 pm Duel core cpu 32/64? Single or multi?
4/8 gb ram
ROS is currently a single-core, 32-bit system. Until that changes, it cannot make use of extra cores or RAM > 4 GB.
Darune Albane

Post by Darune Albane »

Was not shure about 32/64 thought 32

Duel core so that if multi core is done you have a boost may just do single depends on cost
middings

Re: possible crowdfunding project?

Post by middings »

Do Intel and AMD still make single core x86 processors suitable for PCs? Today, every PC CPU chip seems to be at least dual core.

If motherboard hardware (with drivers) and BIOS components that support Microsoft Windows XP are still in production, then somebody might still be producing a PC motherboard that supports Windows XP. If such a motherboard is available off-the-shelf then a crowdfunded motherboard would almost certainly be a much more expensive course than finding and using an off-the-shelf motherboard.

If no suitable motherboard is still in production, consider all the older (new and used) motherboards that remain for sale on the Internet. Those motherboards compete on price and features with any crowdfunded project to produce a motherboard for use with Windows XP, Server 2003, and ReactOS.

P.S. Be sure the motherboard has two PS/2 style connections for the mouse and keyboard!
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

How about this nice board from VIA?
https://www.viatech.com/en/boards/mini-itx/vb7009/
$180 from Mouser in the US
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Ok this thread has gone off topic of off topic.
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC