My own Steampunk version of the file Explorer

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

My own Steampunk version of the file Explorer

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Due to some technical limitations of the engine I have been using and due to a penchant for design that is the opposite of that produced by Microsoft I have been working on my own version of a file/folder Explorer.

[ external image ]
r1.png
r1.png (648.21 KiB) Viewed 749 times
It was just a design but then I knocked up some pseudo-code to create some structure, then I fleshed it out in javascript and in the end I fixed the bugs and there was a working explorer window...

Totally useless to ReactOS in all ways as the code is mere javascript but as with all things once you start building something from an existing component, no code and no documentation then you begin to appreciate just how much work goes into what seems to be a mere file browsing window.

I have attached it to my steampunk media player and it works 99.5% - just a few bugs to iron out, breadcrumbs, sliders, drag and drop but it is all do-able. I have an idea for it in another desktop program so all the code is reusable and accessible via a single include statement so I can drop it into any program I so wish.

[ external image ]

Here it is on my desktop. You don't have to like it, it is seriously off-topic but I had fun building it. It taught me something with regard to ReactOS development even though it is unrelated, don't underestimate the amount of work in any ReactOS component.

Below is a low quality animated GIF showing it in operation.

[ external image ]

I fully intend to steampunk ReactOS one day, whether it will be within my capability is doubtful but that is my intention! :)
Attachments
r2.png
r2.png (378.73 KiB) Viewed 747 times
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.