Is it okay, if I upload a pre-configured ReactOS Virtual Machine to archive.org?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

MugenFighter

Is it okay, if I upload a pre-configured ReactOS Virtual Machine to archive.org?

Post by MugenFighter »

I just wanted to verify that this is okay.
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: Is it okay, if I upload a pre-configured ReactOS Virtual Machine to archive.org?

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

I don't see why not.

Ultimately, it might be better for them to integrate Narabot into their GitHub respo so it can just be done automatically, but for now I say go for it.

If it helps, I am currently trying to get ReactOS on HelloTux. I am just waiting for responses and drafts from the developers.
ThFabba
Developer

Re: Is it okay, if I upload a pre-configured ReactOS Virtual Machine to archive.org?

Post by ThFabba »

You are free to redistribute ReactOS under the terms of its license. Which, in short, just says that if you redistribute binaries based on non-official sources, you must also make those sources available. So yes, it's completely fine to publish VM images.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

ThFabba wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:28 pm You are free to redistribute ReactOS under the terms of its license. Which, in short, just says that if you redistribute binaries based on non-official sources, you must also make those sources available. So yes, it's completely fine to publish VM images.
Thanks, I appreciate the information.
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
justincase

Post by justincase »

To be just a tiny bit more accurate, the license requires that if you distribute binaries, you're required to offer the sources used to build those binaries to anyone that you distributed those binaries to.

To my knowledge, the reason that ThFabba seems to indicate that you only need to do that if your binaries are built from 'non-official sources' is that if you distribute a binary built from 'official ReactOS sources' then you can easily satisfy that requirement by, for example, mentioning where the ReactOS project is already hosting those sources in a simple readme file.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

justincase wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:37 pm To be just a tiny bit more accurate, the license requires that if you distribute binaries, you're required to offer the sources used to build those binaries to anyone that you distributed those binaries to.

To my knowledge, the reason that ThFabba seems to indicate that you only need to do that if your binaries are built from 'non-official sources' is that if you distribute a binary built from 'official ReactOS sources' then you can easily satisfy that requirement by, for example, mentioning where the ReactOS project is already hosting those sources in a simple readme file.
Awesome, I have a habit of misunderstanding these things, so I like to verify it (so I don't break any rules).