Open source DirectX?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

PeterLinuxer

Open source DirectX?

Post by PeterLinuxer »

Hi again,

I googled for an open source clone of DirectX. But I only found:
- a strange Facebook page
- an attempt targeted to Linux, not to Windows

I also searched this forum:
"Search found 1109 matches: directx" And I was unable to see through ALL of them. I only found this:
https://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic ... tx#p137381
It names an open source DirectX but doesn't tell where to find it and what's its name.

I guess you here know better than all other people if such a project exists (because you are already into open source and Windows).

So: Do you know of any such a project?

Greetings
Peter
ReactOS is in early development phase! And ReactOS is not Linux.
Reactions

Re: Open source DirectX?

Post by Reactions »

ReactOS has its own implementation called ReactX.
Please support/share my Patreon! Helps so much! https://www.patreon.com/reactions
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

I think what your asking is what Wine is already doing; making a open-source Direct X using OpenGL/Vulkan. Until the day MS decides to open-source Direct X, that is the best we are getting.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Reactions wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:55 pm ReactOS has its own implementation called ReactX.
Yeah, but that uses OpenGL to emulate it, even though that is likely slow. Plus the memory models are different, but they do their best to fake it. We could use a true DirectX built from scratch and not dependant on other graphics libraries.
Reactions

Post by Reactions »

PurpleGurl wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:31 pm
Reactions wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:55 pm ReactOS has its own implementation called ReactX.
Yeah, but that uses OpenGL to emulate it, even though that is likely slow. Plus the memory models are different, but they do their best to fake it. We could use a true DirectX built from scratch and not dependant on other graphics libraries.
Ok good to know.
Please support/share my Patreon! Helps so much! https://www.patreon.com/reactions
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yes, a native DirectX would be nice, but we run into the problem like in the mouse fable. A bunch of mice were tired of running from the cat. They formed a committee to figure out what could be done. Someone finally suggested that one of the mice should hang a bell on the cat's collar. Then the leaders of the meeting asked, "Now, who is going to hang the bell on the cat?" Everyone was silent.

This shows that while it is easy to come up with solutions when one has no skin in the game, it is harder to find people who are willing and able to put the ideas into use.

I myself have tried to look for low-hanging fruit in this regard. I'd do web searches on source code for a native DirectX that isn't emulated from other libraries like OpenGL and/or Vulcan, but will interact with the video drivers and use the DirectX and hardware acceleration features that the video drivers expose, and like others who have done so, I've come up dry. Or I've found other things such as converting OpenGL calls into DirectX calls, which are of no use to us. Or it is for Linux -- good luck rewriting that to be Windows-compatible.
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

PurpleGurl wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:38 am ... it is harder to find people who are willing and able to put the ideas into use.
Exactly. I would like to program an open source DirectX, but I think I don't have the necessary coding skills, at least not to do that alone. I would need to know about Windows internals, Windows drivers, 3D hardware, 3D games, assembler optimization, the DirectX versions 1 to 11, probably VisualC usage/project files and many other things... And I hate the thought to install Windows again after I just replaced it with ReactOS a few days ago.
I can program Assembler and C (and perhaps C++), but only on 11th grade school level, not university level. (I should have studied CS, but that's another story...)

Greetings
Peter
ReactOS is in early development phase! And ReactOS is not Linux.
TVA

Post by TVA »

I will love to work on an open source directx.
I think the issue is that we do have people interested on working on the project but we don't know where to start, how to do it or what is need to archive it. I still don't know too well how open source projects work but if we can organize a plan things can be done.
Also can we name it something other than reactx? It just doesn't roll off the tongue.
Reactions

Post by Reactions »

What about APIX as a name?
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Is it possible to salvage anything from something like DXVK? Maybe it could be easier/better to try and get Vulkan drivers to work on ReactOS then just use DXVK for direct x libraries.