POS

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

naksh31

POS

Post by naksh31 »

What is POS software ?
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: POS

Post by EmuandCo »

POS aka Point of Sale is mainly specific software or operating systems for cash registers.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yeah, I remember from over a decade ago that a lot of store register systems used Windows 2000 or some custom version of NT and ran the software to work with the register hardware and handle credit/debit card transactions. A lot used a Socket 7 motherboard using an AMD CPU. On 2 occasions, I told clerks what to do when they hung. I'd notice them reboot with a screen identifying the CPU as a K6-II or a K6-III. Those were AMD's improvements on the original Pentium that would work with the same motherboards as the Pentium.

Sorry for any confusion with the term since I seem to be the one using it the most around here.
Thanatophobia

Post by Thanatophobia »

PurpleGurl wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:25 pm Yeah, I remember from over a decade ago that a lot of store register systems used Windows 2000 or some custom version of NT and ran the software to work with the register hardware and handle credit/debit card transactions.
Yeah, I think it was one of those Windows CE or Embedded POSReady editions.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Thanatophobia wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:41 am Yeah, I think it was one of those Windows CE or Embedded POSReady editions.
I imagine so. Most I had encountered of that era ran on Socket 7 boards, and most used the Pentium clone CPUs, apparently since they were more cost-effective (and also more powerful).