The 10 most important video games of all time

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Do you like the idea ?

:)
47%
:|
31%
:(
22%

Total votes: 32

Adcock

Re: The 10 most important video games of all time

Post by Adcock »

[Edited June 15th, 2017, 9:20 am]
Don't you think Chromium B.S.U. deserves to be on that list too ?
I mean it could be a default game included in ReactOS iso ..... ;)
Last edited by Adcock on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
Open Your Windows To Freedom
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

middings wrote:Did you make a wish or did you just volunteer to write "open source... games" for ReactOS? ;)
I took that more as wishing someone would find existing open source implementations or comparable and possibly include a couple in ROS and others in RAPPS. So the first step is to survey what people like, then see what open source implementations or comparable ones exist.

The classic FPS ones would be tricky, but there are ways around it. There are alternative game engines, and they're 32-bit, so they will work in a future 64-bit ROS port. The problem is to get them to work, they'd need the original game, image, and sound files. Now for some, users have written their own replacements of not just maps/levels, but base game files and sprites as well. So while you wouldn't have Wolf3d or Doom, you'd likely have something equally entertaining.
linrx

Post by linrx »

PurpleGurl wrote:
middings wrote:Did you make a wish or did you just volunteer to write "open source... games" for ReactOS? ;)
I took that more as wishing someone would find existing open source implementations or comparable and possibly include a couple in ROS and others in RAPPS. So the first step is to survey what people like, then see what open source implementations or comparable ones exist.

The classic FPS ones would be tricky, but there are ways around it. There are alternative game engines, and they're 32-bit, so they will work in a future 64-bit ROS port. The problem is to get them to work, they'd need the original game, image, and sound files. Now for some, users have written their own replacements of not just maps/levels, but base game files and sprites as well. So while you wouldn't have Wolf3d or Doom, you'd likely have something equally entertaining.
Don't bother with ReactOS when DOSBOX can do the trick, imho. Some old games like Wolfenstein or B17 Flying Fortress probably can run off DosBos with minimal fuss. During those days some of us had loads of crap dealing with Microsoft Windows 95 and 98 EMS memory issues simply tackling games like Romance of Three Kingdoms in Windows. It is kinda unnecessary dealing with EMS memory on ReactOS assuming we are on 64 bit machines offering 8GB RAM. Besides memory is dirt cheap from China and Taiwan these days we probably have better use of shipping lanes in South China Sea or transcontinental railways that they are building. :!:
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I never mentioned EMS or that the games had to be DOS. Going back to the thread originator's apparent intentions, I don't think they'd care if it were a 32-bit rewrite of the classics. Then there would be no fuss. I imagine they'd be happy with a collection of modern, open source games that are reminiscent of the classics.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

A lot of DOS/16-bit games have been remastered already to work on modern hardware with high resolution support, etc. There is even a company called Nightdive that is dedicated to remastering old games: http://www.nightdivestudios.com/
MyrticeValone

Post by MyrticeValone »

I feel like these are the most important video games ever, but I'm sure, that I just don't know some that were even more important.
1. Zelda series
2. Doom 1 & 2
3. Half-Life
4. Quake III
5. Civilization
6. C&C series
7. Need For Speed Underground
8. Trackmania
9. Counter Strike
10. Warcraft
jemir

Post by jemir »

I think that it is DOOM, Half Life, Civilization, Mortal Combat, GTA, Warcraft, Need For Speed and Call Of Duty
Hi!
Chompjil

Post by Chompjil »

I can't think of a huge list necessarily, but Half Life and COD1 would be on there
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Possibly, this thread could be morphed into one that is actually useful.

Perhaps create another thread with a poll listing some of the popular titles here and asking the community which top 10 3D games it would like ReactOS to support. Then, just as the devs did for Word 2010, ReactOS could be steered towards this goal with the side effect of probably supporting many others. Quake I, II and III would be the type of titles that might fit into this category.

The good thing about targetting ReactOS toward supporting games in general is that games usage is by definition a single-task operation. Games users do not typically run multiple applications simultaneously, when they are gaming, they are gaming. I know pro. users run app.s that perform screen capture &c but I would still argue that single-application operation would still be the norm for most. Running single applications will hopefully reduce the occurrence of memory management type crashes and make ReactOS seem more stable than it really is.

Having said this ReactOS seems to have been proven to be a fairly stable platform for legacy gaming as fas as I can tell from the screenshots posted on the epic win thread. Perhaps I am being over-optimistic?

If it turns out that the work required to support these games is not actually very large, this does not preclude this task from being a very useful one. Publicising the fact that ReactOS supports a top ten 3D games would be useful advertising for the project.

I would call this poll a 3D game poll rather than a modern gaming poll as calling it 'modern' gaming encompasses too many titles that ReactOS just cannot run with directx 11. I would define it as being a 3D Open GL type gaming poll.

Perhaps there should also be a thread with a poll for supporting the top 10 legacy 2D games. This one might be very achieveable in the short term and quite a visible target.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.