Looking for willing programmers and artists

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

ChrisC.

Looking for willing programmers and artists

Post by ChrisC. »

i may onlybe 12 years old but i have a very fluent knowing of visual basic most forms of basic and some work with c++ i have decided to try and gather a group of people willing to help make a gaming o/s that uses most the same software as windows its name will be N.o.s. satanding for Nitro Operating System i have little if not no expierience working with o/s's and i hope to have a great learning experience. plz some1[/b]
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Hi
to write a os

U need to learn asm
for allot reason
1. write u own bootsector
2. write u own hw code for protect mode
3. write u own hw code for context switch
4. and for some other varisu thing

u need to learn
how memory manger works, cache mangers, usb stack works, tcp/ip works. u need also learn hw programing of bios, pic, vbe, dma, audio, ide controller, sata controller.

This is only few small thing u must learn or have understanding how it work in hw and software.

Now it is time to detemet what design of kernel u whant.

we are talking about year of works of coding around 5-10year to come so far you got a kernel and most basic stuff are in. then we need add some more year for debuging bugfix and stable the kernel.

the studing time getting this knowlgews is years around 8-15 year
before u can start writing own os.

But you most also think of wich cpu u aim at and if it should be big endia or small endia, depnes on the cpu, and what it support.

ReactOS can run some games and working on getting more apps and games working.
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

So you want to make an OS to run Windows games and programs? That's already being done. It's name is (what was it again....) ReactOS! So why not help them with implementing DirectX or things like that? At least that project has any change of succeeding (no offense), because any programmer that is interested would most likely join the ReactOS project in stead of yours because its goals are similar and ReactOS already works (and it took 10 years to get here).

In any case, if you want to do any OS programming at all, you should really start by learning improve your C/C++ skills.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

In any case, if you want to do any OS programming at all, you should really start by learning improve your C/C++ skills.
Not necessary. There are some experimental OSes done in other languages.
ChrisC.

Response

Post by ChrisC. »

im not trying to make a os that runs windows programs and games imt rying to make a high end gaming os that only runs windows games not like solitare or other games like high end games from the stores itll also run much faster and be much smaller in file size since it only runs games all im going to work on is getting a kernel stable other stuff to make it navigatable then all it will be able to run is games and an internet connection for online games
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

Games make API calls to the OS too. An OS just for windows games isn't that much easier than making an OS which runs most windows applications. And lets's not forget: the installer is also a normal windowed application and you've got to support installers in order to support modern games.

Also: you need (for example) video card drivers. Currently: there are only video card drivers being made for Windows or linux, so if your OS isn't based on any of those, you won't be able to play anything.

And don't forget: ReactOS is going to support DirectX games. Take a look at the blogs for example. There are some pretty in-depth blogs there on how everything is being done.

So I really don't see any point in making a new OS in favor of supporting ReactOS with its game support.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

ChrisC.

windows games are using windows api,
they are most havey program that exists most of windows api are being use in games.

1. audio subsystem it is kernel streaming interface kx on top of it, it attach to dsound and winmm under it is hell work

2. the graphice subsystem windows handling, keyboard, langues setting for keyboard, loading graphice driver, directdraw, d3d support then map it out to gdi32.dll and user32.dll

3. kernel filesystem, cc, mm, fs, and allot other stuff that is being map out to ntdll.

then we need secure system and other stuff that where sas comes in

ReactOS have all this and more, but we are in a face there we need bugfix and stable everthing until we can add more nice cool thing.
mogart

REinventingthe Wheel

Post by mogart »

That is a cool goal, but the truth is that "hello world" written in C without a foundation library or the vbrun infrastructure, takes something like 40k lines of code in a windows compatible operating system. The kernel and the various subsystems are pretty complicated. If a twelve year old and some teen friends can do what ReactOS is doing and tailor it to a games only machine then that is great. We would all benefit from the problems they manage to solve and how they do it.

But realistically it is a very complicated process, integrating the various pieces (eg ring 0 drivers, .dll drivers. com, coff and windows proprietary executable loaders etc.) I think what these guys would really like is a ReactOS that lets you create a custom Explore.exe fitted to special projects and perhaps released under lgpl or bsd. That way they could create a custom "gamers" interface and still use the ReactOS "operating system" and kernel.

At 12 what you want is something that is fun cool and lets you learn as much as possible without the long hours of study. I remember 12. I wanted to build Mac. Too bad Steve Jobs got there first. ;) I hope figuring out how big the task is doesn't discourage these kids. :twisted:
jezebelus

Post by jezebelus »

He, he idea is good, to make OS system similar to console OS which will run on PC and allow playing PC games. Sounds nice for some noob who don't know nothing about OS (like me :D)
mogart

Post by mogart »

Well as Greatlord pointed out, all the multimedia and OGL/DFX needed by games requires more from an operating system than any other software that you might run on it. I use POV games like Quake to do "real world" benchmarking. An operating system is more than just a process manager and program loader. The graphics, sound and input drivers as well as a rich supply of reusable networking, security, and API (foundation classes) are necessary to make a Game work.

Even on a *nix system you have to rely on OGL/3dfx, SDL, VESA or some combination thereof, because it is completely impractical to write all of those libraries from scratch for every new game that you create. The OS has to play traffic cop for reusable code as well as limit and manage the resources used by your game.

There is no real advantage to not having a desktop of some sort on any game console as the difference in using a "desktop" as your file manager and program launcher (games menu). Explorer and the clone that is used by React, could easily be replaced by a tabbed or some other sort of Gamers' desktop (like that on xbox). But unless you want to go back to the days when it took a crate full of media and 24 hours to load a single program, you're stuck with big, modular operating systems that have a lot of unused components.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@ChrisC.

No leeching pls.
Makaan

Post by Makaan »

Well first of all you are 12 years old. That alone makes it not worthy to put effort in cuz' at that age you change your mind all the time (applies to everyone not only you without any exception). In addition to that, no matter how you look at it, there is no way you are experienced enough to make an OS. Even if you learned C/C++ or whatever since you were born, no matter how many experience you collected up until now it won't be enough.
It's just not enough time.
Also why do you want to make an OS wich is already being coded?