DirectX 10 for windows XP

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Phobos

DirectX 10 for windows XP

Post by Phobos »

apparently, some guys did find a way to install DX 10 on XP :D

original site (russian): Censoure

google translation: Censoure

I haven't tested it myself (I no longer have XP to test it on) but it seems to work... can anyone confirm this?
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

as many time before I point this out

it exists directx 10 for windows xp from ms, you need to known where to look for it. ms did release a beta for xp in a directx sdk. I do not rember which it was in, but some people have posted a url to it in reactos forum.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

after review and exaim the forum link I and EmuandCo
it is clear it seam the thrid party the russain forum for their DIrectx 10 download is files from vista. And it breaks agains MS copyright and EULA for vista. Thuse file are only mentor for Vista. Their for I and EmuandCo agreed remove the url to that 3 party forum
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

As GreatLord already said. There is only one legit way for DX10 on XP. Load the DX SDK. These Files only result in Missing Method Errors in many dll files.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Phobos

Post by Phobos »

no, there is no DX10 from MS.... beta SDK is not the same as the final redistributable version, so it's not a matter of looking for it, it simply does not exist

AFAIK from that forum, it works relatively fine on XP, they only had to trick DX to see a DX10 compatible video card where there is none... and it worked (no missing methods)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, i tried The DX Sdk Test apps and got many missing methods in msvcrt and advapi32.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
manatails007

Post by manatails007 »

just curious; why do we have to install directX 10 to XP?
why not 9?
BOT_ev

Post by BOT_ev »

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Ok, show me one game which uses this DX10 on XP and prove its not stolen code and we might readd the link ;-)

BOT_ev

Post by BOT_ev »

Well you get me wrong. I`m not telling you to use DirectX 10 on XP that way, just answering the question why people would use DirectX 10 instead of 9 on XP if that is possible ;)
Demirug

Post by Demirug »

GreatLord wrote:as many time before I point this out

it exists directx 10 for windows xp from ms, you need to known where to look for it. ms did release a beta for xp in a directx sdk. I do not rember which it was in, but some people have posted a url to it in reactos forum.
Your information’s are wrong at this point.

There was never a DirectX SDK that contains a working Direct3D 10 for Windows XP. This includes working with the Reference Rasterizer. The reason for this is that the SDK never includes a D3D10.DLL which contains the runtime. This DLL was always a part of Vista. Therefore early tech previews of Direct3D 10 required a beta version of Vista.

The only part of Direct3D 10 that works on Windows XP today are some elements of the D3DX10_??.DLL as long as they don’t need a device. This limit it mostly to the compiler for shader and effects. The only benefit is that this allows running an asset pipeline on non Vista systems.

Technical, for someone outside of the inner circle (Microsoft, nvidia, AMD, other IHVs), there are only two ways getting Direct3D 10 applications run on Windows XP.
1. Write a Direct3D 10 to OpenGL Wrapper. This is what the Alky Project tries before they give up and released anything they got (not much IMHO) as open source. There is a high chance that the Wine Project will go this way and that there work can be ported over to Windows XP. Personally I would not touch this again without OpenGL 3.x.
2. While AMD have started to open up their Spec it becomes possible to write your own driver for their hardware even for Windows XP. This way you can add a additional custom interface to such a driver. A custom Direct3D 10 runtime can use this interface. Taking all together this would be even more work then option 1. Maybe it could be reduced if someone else writes a Galium3D compatible driver for the current hardware generation of AMD.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Demirug
I am runing DX10 apps using shader and other thing from dx10
in xp. the beta was only release one time and it is only in one dx sdk contain it (do not known if ms have remove it yet), when you using it it, I do not recomdate runing a game with it. for the speed perfomented is verybad for it software emulate the missing stuff.
and I only have 2-3 fps in each sec as best when I using the dx10 shader in xp.
Demirug

Post by Demirug »

GreatLord,
Microsoft could not remove anything that wasn’t there. The necessary D3D10.DLL was never included. I should know as checking any new SDK for changes is part of my job.

Even if you take that files from a Vista installation they would not work on XP as they need some kernel support. This is true for the software emulation (RefRast), too. It requires some kernel support to show the results on the screen.

You can only run Direct3D 10 on XP if someone at Microsoft gives you a modified version that was build against the XP kernel. But I am sure that such a version doesn’t exist either. There was simply never a good reason to build one.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Demirug
I have the xp dx10 it was in a dx sdk I got from ms
I have it on CD/DVD disc from ms, and it was also include in one of their dx sdk that was online but they never told public about it.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

directx_mar2008_redist.exe
uncompress it with 7-zip
APR2007_d3dx10_33_x86.cab
uncompress it with 7-zip

open file
apr2007_d3dx10_33_x86.inf

it contain this and more
; ---- Windows 2000 ----
[4.09.00.0904.00-4.09.00.0904.00_Win2K]
NumberOfFiles=6
Size=1503 ;approximately total file size (Size * 1024 bytes)
CopyCount=2
d3dx10_33_x86_xp.inf, x86_Install

; ---- Windows XP ----
[4.09.00.0904.00-4.09.00.0904.00_WinXP]
NumberOfFiles=6
Size=1503 ;approximately total file size (Size * 1024 bytes)
CopyCount=2
d3dx10_33_x86_xp.inf, x86_Install
As we can see if u run / install this inf you getting dx10 to windows 2000/xp

forget mentor

for 200/XP/2003
DEC2006_d3dx10_00_x86
contain the d3dx10.dll

apr2007_d3dx10_33_x86
contain the d3dx10_33.dll