Windows Seven Taking Out A Boat-Load

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

coldReactive

Windows Seven Taking Out A Boat-Load

Post by coldReactive »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7#Removed_features

Read it, and be amazed.

Also, Windows Seven also blocks third-party video decoders from Windows Media Player.
user312

Re: Windows Seven Taking Out A Boat-Load

Post by user312 »

Did you read the whole thing?

"The latest beta of Windows 7 blocks the usage of third party video decoders from Windows Media Player. Microsoft says this restriction will not take place in the final version of Windows 7."

Obviously MS wants beta testers to test their new codecs for now instead of filing bug reports on untested 3rd party codecs.

From what I can tell, most of the "removed" items are simply being replaced by newer software that does essentially the same thing, abiet somewhat differently. I will, however, miss the classic start menu interface, although I'm sure someone out there will invest some time to find a way to bring it back.
The123king

Post by The123king »

user312 wrote:Did you read the whole thing?

"The latest beta of Windows 7 blocks the usage of third party video decoders from Windows Media Player. Microsoft says this restriction will not take place in the final version of Windows 7."

Obviously MS wants beta testers to test their new codecs for now instead of filing bug reports on untested 3rd party codecs.

From what I can tell, most of the "removed" items are simply being replaced by newer software that does essentially the same thing, abiet somewhat differently. I will, however, miss the classic start menu interface, although I'm sure someone out there will invest some time to find a way to bring it back.
I'm sure ReactOS Explorer (when it's completed) can be used as shell replacement on Windows 7 to provide said functionality
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Even though they said the video decoders are not blocked in the final version, I have a suspicion that they may keep the blockers.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Even though they say the video decoders will not be blocked in final version, you have a suspicion that the video decoders will be blocked in final version anyway. Well done! This would cause massive loses to Microsoft and negative reaction even stronger than to TPB court process result.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

most of those removed items relate to the new taskbar being done differently and wouldn't make sense to have then in
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Mrkaras wrote:most of those removed items relate to the new taskbar being done differently and wouldn't make sense to have then in
I'm pretty sure the Classic "theme" is still in Windows 7.
The123king

Post by The123king »

coldReactive wrote:
Mrkaras wrote:most of those removed items relate to the new taskbar being done differently and wouldn't make sense to have then in
I'm pretty sure the Classic "theme" is still in Windows 7.
It was when i tried the first beta.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

that big list of removed items now seems to have turned into just one short paragraph
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Mrkaras wrote:that big list of removed items now seems to have turned into just one short paragraph
You need to look again, there's a link to a new article there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_r ... _Windows_7