List of 300+ Windows 8 features that Microsoft didn't show

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

fulea.stefan

List of 300+ Windows 8 features that Microsoft didn't show

Post by fulea.stefan »

http://www.winrumors.com/heres-a-list-o ... idnt-show/

I think this might be useful in updating the missing ReactOS functionality with "Introduced in Windows 8".

Edit: Another possible thing (not included in the above list):
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/09 ... -bad-news/
Yes, it was published a while ago, but I stumbled upon it only today.
Last edited by fulea.stefan on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aeneas

Re: List of 300+ Windows 8 features that Microsoft didn't sh

Post by Aeneas »

Haha! :D - Some of the "features" are pretty repetitive... Bitlocker, boot...
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Activation? There is a feature ReactOS needs. :? So how many PCI cards am I graciously allowed to change out before it calls me a pirate? If I am on a secure network do I still have to have a live internet connection back to re-validate? I remember the old days when if your CPU let out the magic smoke you could simply remove the hard drive, plop it in another identical computer and instantly be on your merry way again. I'm surprised people put up with that crap.
sh4ring4n

Post by sh4ring4n »

Bitlocker is introduced in Vista, music player's included, etc.

I guess some of them already is included in windows 7...
The cake is a lie!
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

Win 8 dev preview annoyed the hell out of me. It seems fine for tablets but for normal PCs I would rather use vista than it.

Metro is fail and they are trying to make office metrofied
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Fully 2nded. the new start "menu" sucks so badly!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

I can understand MS's thinking in this because the "average" user (aka the ones who know nothing about windows) never use the task bar or understand they can switch between two programs / instances of a single program and clicking on a GIANT word in front of them is more easy.

The problem is when you force your users to use their stupid "app" instead of giving them the choice to load it or not.
bntser

Post by bntser »

I think that Windows 8 will do these things: spike tablet sales, and drive real computer users to Mac, Linux, OR... ReactOS :)

I don't like Windows 8 much(and yes, I've tested it), but I'm not opposed to new things either. The hybrid Metro-Explorer interface just isn't practical for an advanced computer user.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Remember, this Metro UI is from the company that though it would be fun if everybody manged their files with a WEB BROWSER!

I'm afraid Microsoft and Windows is slowly going down the drain. I have seen a lot of lean, solid, usable programs die a bloated, barely functional, bug ridden death at the hands of soulless corporations. Except for the rare occasions the product is open sourced, it is the only way a proprietary product can end.

With Microsoft the height was back between 1994-1997 when they were creating some really solid products. Then the marketing department replaced the engineering department aparently. They have been riding on that success since then.

Btw, this entire tiled/fullscreen thing was done in Windows version 1.0!.
Smiley
Developer

Post by Smiley »

EmuandCo wrote:Fully 2nded. the new start "menu" sucks so badly!
our current explorer sucks as well. does this mean that when reactos reaches version 1.0 we will ship the current explorer?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Nope, but we dont even have a Preview Version of 1.0, do we? ^^
We are allowed to suck with alpha state.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Smiley
Developer

Post by Smiley »

EmuandCo wrote:Nope, but we dont even have a Preview Version of 1.0, do we? ^^
We are allowed to suck with alpha state.
isn't alpha stage releases preview releases? Why isn't ms allowed to suck with alpha (pre-beta) states?
Lagman

Post by Lagman »

Because They never fix any of the suck for the full release until service pack 2 or 4. They tend to continue to suck for a while. XP was a nightmare until SP2 in the corporate world. they should have had the bugs that SP2 fixed before the first full release.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Explorer ribbon looks fine. Metro, OTOH, is horrible for mouse&keyboard operation, however it can be switched off by a single registry value edit. Power users will have no problem finding sufficient info about it on the web and changing it, so what's all the fuss about?

There is a single thing that will surely get improved and that is the design of first boot wizard, that is just disgusting. It has so horrible look that I can't remember anything comparably bad from post-Win-95 era.

I don't know why everybody bashes MS for EVERYTHING they do (and for not doing it, if they opt to not do it). This is a DEVELOPER preview, not BFU preview, neither power user preview! It's basically alpha. Beta and RC will come later for general public. I got only one message from Win8 dev preview: "Hey, we can do the same stuff as Win7, plus slap new Metro on it, and still get lower requirements than Win7 have".

Also, sorry if I offended anyone with my opinion, this post should however seem fully civil, although a bit assertive. These releases are precisely to get the feedback to MS.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Black_Fox wrote:it can be switched off by a single registry value edit. Power users will have no problem finding sufficient info about it on the web and changing it, so what's all the fuss about?
Because not everybody is a power user. Some average Joe who gets a machine with Windows 8 may want or even require the old UI back in order to get around like they did. Will they mess around in the registry or advanced settings? No! These are the same people who won't even check a box on an annoying dialog to not show it again because they are afraid they might break something. They will either bend over and take it up the butt learning (after calling tech support 100 times) just enough to do what they did before or just give up and do without whatever they had before.

It is also a problem for people who need to go from computer to computer. Move a single icon on a users desktop and get an angry call later that their computer is "all different" now. Forget about switching to the classic mode or turning off other garbage.