New Website

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

naums

New Website

Post by naums »

Hey there,

Sorry to tell you guys, but I don't really like the style of the new website. It looks worse than the old one, doesn't really work right now, so please tell me, why did you choose the publish this one? What were the intentions of making a new website? Why didn't you just work on the old CMS, which was not overly beatiful but it worked for the most parts and it had a pretty nice overall look & feel. The user zehnvor did update the design of the website (I guess it was only for the German part) and it looked okay. But this... Well... half Web 1.0 half web 2.0 . The best thing is the Wiki, which is really nice integrated, but the Forum looks pretty much not good. The main-page is way to empty and doesn't look professional at all.

Please tell me, what you think of the new CMS and the new design. @the Website-developers: please answer my questions mentioned above.

Thanks you.

Regards Naums
milon

Re: New Website

Post by milon »

The old one really was not maintainable at all. I think the new site is a lot cleaner than the old one. And the fact that it can be updated means that it can only get better. That's what I think.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

To everyone who claims to like the old site, bear in mind that being forced to deal with the CMS (which was decent when it was originally developed but became increasingly broken over time despite the best efforts of our few web devs) was an active deterrent to adding any content to the site, to the point where maybe three people knew how to correctly add new pages without screwing something up that needed to be fixed manually. So asking for the old site back equates telling me you guys don't want us to put together new content.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

naums wrote:It looks worse than the old one, doesn't really work right now, so please tell me, why did you choose the publish this one?
There's been a talk about a new Drupal based website on forums for last 2-3 months (not even taking the typo3 thing into account which has been online since August!), with majority of people being in favour of this new style. Where have you been? It's true it doesn't work completely yet, but many bugs have been sorted out quickly and the rest will probably be as well.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Basically the change is just to move from RosCMS to Drupal CMS. It's insane to maintain an OS; a Build Environment; and an own CMS. The efforts must just be focused in one area: The OS, and not about mantaining a CMS which is a totally side-apart tool.
This was a total must. We ditched Rbuild and now we are using Cmake. We ditched RosCMS and now we are using Drupal. Opera went even further, they ditched their engine and now they are using Webkit. The objective: Avoid nonsense maintenance and using collaborative efforts.
After the CMS transition is done, then we can begin dreaming about new designs, styling here and there, or even about blogging ;)
The content could be updated faster and much more collaborative. The mainn restriction was, as Z98 said, the RosCMS nightmare.
But if anyone thinks the old site is better, dont worry. It is here: old.reactos.org :)
There are a lot of designing details to be improved...but they are easily fixed with lovely CSS.
KnownSyntax

Post by KnownSyntax »

I actually like the new site, yeah it's different but it "flows" much better into the forums and makes ReactOS's logo pop rather then just be there. It'll take him before everything is perfect like they have said above, but I'm willing to wait since anything new is going to be a step in the right direction.
FreshAquaria - Freshwater Discussion and Knowledgebase
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

The new website is better because text is more readable, images, colors and shadows gives to the website a modern look but at the same time, simplicity...

GREAT CHANGE!
naums

Post by naums »

Okay, thanks. There was a question, what I want to answer: Where was I, during this very very long period of discussing the new design. Well... it might come as surprise but I have other things to do as well as check every hour on new posts and threads in the forum. What do you want to tell me - that I have no right to complain, because I wasn't there and complained back then? Great. And I liked the style from zehnvor, who did a really great job configuring the mainpage in the old CMS - only for the German language. Well... maybe that'll come later on.

We'll gotta work on the integration of the forum - well... if you want me to help you this time.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

naums: Small sidenote. The design here is being worked on by zehnvor, too...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You made the assertion that style is more important than ease of use when actually trying to publish content in the CMS. As someone who has been responsible for content on the site for years, how did you expect me to react when you're telling me to bite the bullet and continue dealing with RosCMS' brokenness just because you dislike the current style of the new site? A style whose only difference with the old site is some margins between menus and the like?
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

You made the assertion that style is more important than ease of use when actually trying to publish content in the CMS. As someone who has been responsible for content on the site for years, how did you expect me to react when you're telling me to bite the bullet and continue dealing with RosCMS' brokenness just because you dislike the current style of the new site? A style whose only difference with the old site is some margins between menus and the like?
i have to agree with z98 it seems having eye candy is more important these days rather then having a website that just works how sad.
naums

Post by naums »

Z98: I didn't know how broken the CMS was. How could I? But the first thing that comes to my mind when seeing the new Website is "step backwards". Margins here and there, blabla. How about the round corners noone needs? Jquery-Fading in highlighted menuitems (left) - do I need that stuff? Does it at least look nice. no. I can't tell which technical parts did change, but I can at first have a look at the style of the new website. That is what I did. I've just seen that there is no "my ReactOS" anymore and I don't have a clue whether I'm still a translater or not...

Edit: I wanted to take part in developing the new website some time ago. But apparently noone wanted me there. So I didn't do (real) stuff.

Regards
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The effort to migrate to a new CMS started over a year ago. The decision to ditch RosCMS was made before that. Simplistically, we do not want to have to maintain our own content management system. The developers here are primarily interested in writing an OS. The only reason RosCMS was created was at the time, there was no other CMS that offered the integration they wanted to achieve with logins across multiple things like bugzilla, wiki, and phpbb. Today there still is not, but maintaining the bridge to the wiki and phpbb is considerably easier than maintaining the bridges plus an entire CMS. Let the drupal devs deal with developing the CMS and we'll worry about developing ReactOS.

On another note, the purpose of the forum is to give members of the community a place to talk amongst themselves. Developers and other team members may drop in from time to time, but discussions regarding project goals or plans do NOT happen on the forum. As such, do not use the forum as a pulse for project activity. Probably the best way to not be in the loop with respect to project plans is to solely rely on the forum.
wojo664

Post by wojo664 »

"ReactOS® ist ein freies Open-Source-Betriebssystem, welches auf dem Architekturdesign der Windows-NT®-Familie ( dazu gehöhren unter anderem Windows XP, Windows 7 und Windows Server 2012) basiert. Es wurde von Grund auf neu geschrieben und basiert in keinster Weise auf Linux oder anderen UNIX-ähnlichen Architekuturen. "

English language selected O.o (UPDATE: works now )
I think there is an error with the language on the site.

PS: What will happen with the "translator" account acces?