► Website ReactOS Design Talk ♪♪♪

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Re: ► Website ReactOS Design Talk ♪♪♪

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Ah good, I can see the end of the conversation for me. I am happy to contribute to a conversation but there is a point where the discussion has done it's job and there is no point in continuing. We've raised the point of FP improvement. I no longer wish to contribute further.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
milon

Post by milon »

I'll take a stab at it. Personally, and I recognize I am only speaking for myself, I like to read the latest SVN changes. If I'm using my home computer, I've got the page bookmarked and I jump straight to it (http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos/trunk/?view=log). If I'm using a work computer (on my lunch break ;) ), I go to reactos.org >> Daily Builds >> Browse SVN repository >> (current trunk build number)
This gets me the list I like to read - what progress is being made in what areas of ReactOS (trunk only, I know).

So here's my idea. I would love to see the last 3-5 SVN commits on the front page with the most recent at the top of the list. I would love there to be a link at the bottom (maybe top too) along the lines of >> Read More! or something like that. It really can't be that hard (can it?) to parse that info out and drop it on the main page. It wouldn't turn anyone away, and it would show a little of the life of the project.

Is that feasible? I've laid out some of the pros. What are the cons of this idea? I haven't yet had an idea devoid of a downside. ;)
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

milon wrote:I'll take a stab at it. Personally, and I recognize I am only speaking for myself, I like to read the latest SVN changes. If I'm using my home computer, I've got the page bookmarked and I jump straight to it (http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos/trunk/?view=log). If I'm using a work computer (on my lunch break ;) ), I go to reactos.org >> Daily Builds >> Browse SVN repository >> (current trunk build number)
This gets me the list I like to read - what progress is being made in what areas of ReactOS (trunk only, I know).

So here's my idea. I would love to see the last 3-5 SVN commits on the front page with the most recent at the top of the list. I would love there to be a link at the bottom (maybe top too) along the lines of >> Read More! or something like that. It really can't be that hard (can it?) to parse that info out and drop it on the main page. It wouldn't turn anyone away, and it would show a little of the life of the project.

Is that feasible? I've laid out some of the pros. What are the cons of this idea? I haven't yet had an idea devoid of a downside. ;)
Not a bad idea.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Milon, feel free to check if in Jira there is an enhancement feature for that, if not, you can open an enhancement feature for SVN commits.
Btw, I like much more the git.reactos.org to watch for commits :)
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Yeah i like git too it is more easier to read for me
http://git.reactos.org/?p=reactos.git;a=log
milon

Post by milon »

Interesting. I didn't actually know about the git changelog. That's another reason to have it linked from the front page. ;)

Anyway, I opened feature request ONLINE-464

EDIT - Before moving to drupal, didn't we have something like that once upon a time? I'm pretty sure we did...
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Otherwise, there is: http://code.reactos.org ...
Blue

Post by Blue »

Block Fox
That doesn't make any sense. If the build fails, the iso will be missing :-)

[ external image ]

I'm saying not all builds pass complete, and if the build does not pass completely. Than it should show the number of fails.. When clicking on the fail *LINK* it bring the user over to the waterfall display for more information.- This would also be a good way to get more people feeling more comfortable about the project & this project being more Open than other projects on the net for the basic user & also removes the extra clicks & bandwidth.. Example: Windows_AMD64_1 VBox-Test : Might fail but the build will still show up on the build list for global download. but the build part has had a failure... And the only way to know this was a issue would be going over to the waterfall display. ( - More Information is not always a bad thing - ).

The_French_Rat
Just because it has a fail listed under nightly builds. This does not mean the ISO will not BOOTUP & run so their is no need to have a disabled download link (ADDED). Its just offering a notice to the end user that their was a build issue with a notice of a fail & how much failed have happened when running over all the build tests & placed under the global community download page. (WITHOUT HAVING TO do extra clicks to get over to the waterfall display). As most people will not download a nightly build until all the tests have passed).

dizt3mp3r
Ah good, I can see the end of the conversation for me. I am happy to contribute to a conversation but there is a point where the discussion has done it's job and there is no point in continuing. We've raised the point of FP improvement. I no longer wish to contribute further. Visitors should not be protected from this stuff nor should it be hidden from them under menu options and drill-throughs. Agree - Thanks for contributing. :)

middings
If I were Blue and believed that the ReactOS FP is unexciting, uninformative, or difficult for newcomers and should be redesigned, then I would start learning to use the tools that were used to build the ReactOS.org site. I would try to find live examples of project FPs (preferably ones that have all the big features of the ReactOS site: a forum, wiki, bug tracker, downloadable nightly builds, build status, and developer blogs) that have the exciting look and feel, information displays, and ease of use I would want the ReactOS.org FP to have. I would leave links to them in this thread so others could see for themselves. I would follow up with a mock-up of a ReactOS FP that illustrates the changes I'd like to see. Finally, I would submit an improvement proposal to JIRA in the ONLINE project category that describe exactly how the ReactOS.org web site building tools can be used to implement one of my suggestions. I don't believe I have access to the main page of this website to remake it. plus many of the things have listed here is to make the project more informative without having to run around the whole web & look for little parts your looking for. Like you've said. JARA was a challenge at first than you started getting used to it. Not everyone wants to take the time out & do the steps you've taken and give themselves the same challenge... Your looking at a more advanced user to React website that knows where everything is at now and pairing it to a basic end user to the React website. When normal users only really want to have everything at their finger tips. I'm under the suggestion forums for the website to make it better. If I wished to copy other websites or etc.. than yes. Linking websites would be fine. React OS needs to stand out and not just copy other Linux websites as most of them are still classic style that needs to be improved. React already knows how to make websites themselves.. Look at the real ReactOS indiegogo website they made that website with HTLM5. Their is nothing stopping them from improving this website also & this would also give more support for the project as it makes it much easier for the end user. After looking at the FPs of those other projects, I believe ReactOS's compares favorably to its peers. I still feel this website could be more enjoyable to the end user by just making the improvements listed on this thread.. I would love to see the last 3-5 SVN commits on the front page with the most recent at the top of the list. Interesting. I didn't actually know about the git changelog. That's another reason to have it linked from the front page. That's what I'm talking about... /\ http://git.reactos.org/?p=reactos.git;a=log

hbelusca
I also view the FishEye site when looking at the changes. It has a cleaner feel & not a text document feel to it as the one number 1 below jonaspm has listed.

1 - http://git.reactos.org/?p=reactos.git;a=log
2 - http://code.reactos.org/
Blue

Post by Blue »

Blue

Post by Blue »

Blue

Post by Blue »

Why does the wiki Navigation for the forums have Random pages?
Can this please be removed from the list!
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Blue wrote:Why does the wiki Navigation for the forums have Random pages?
Can this please be removed from the list!
There is, for the same reason you have a "Random page" here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page (see 5th link in the left menu), certainly just wasn't removed from the default template? On the contrary one can suggest augmenting the navigation menu of the wiki...
justincase

Post by justincase »

It's part of the Wiki software, and I actually use it sometimes, when I have nothing to do for a little while I'll occasionally drop by the Wiki, hit the 'Random page" link till I'm on a page I haven't read, and see if I can learn something from it.
Also even if most people don't use it, I don't see how it hurts. Why does it need removed?
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
The_French_Rat

Post by The_French_Rat »

Blue wrote: The_French_Rat
Just because it has a fail listed under nightly builds. This does not mean the ISO will not BOOTUP & run so their is no need to have a disabled download link (ADDED). Its just offering a notice to the end user that their was a build issue with a notice of a fail & how much failed have happened when running over all the build tests & placed under the global community download page. (WITHOUT HAVING TO do extra clicks to get over to the waterfall display). As most people will not download a nightly build until all the tests have passed).
Ahhhh, I get your point. I'm still a noob at this. :)
Just think of ReactOS as the XP beta, Whistler.
Blue

Post by Blue »

The_French_Rat
No problem, Thanks for taken the time to read my thread. :)

'''RosBuild''' is the ReactOS [http://buildbot.net/ BuildBot]. It automates the compile and upload cycle of the most recent [[trunk]] from the [[Subversion|SVN]] repository. As soon as a new commit to the repository is detected, the Buildmaster tells the Buildslaves to rebuild the trunk and upload the ISO images.

== RosBuild Status Information ==
Currect: Build 0.3.16. Their is no date on next official release build.
* [http://build.reactos.org:8010 Buildmaster Web Interface]
* Latest SVN changes. [http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos/trunk/?view=log View Text] ~ [http://code.reactos.org/ View Forums]

== Build Downloads ==
Daily trunk builds are frequently updated to help test and improve the next release.
* Nightly [[Download ReactOS Trunk Builds]]
* [http://iso.reactos.org/ Server Index ISO Storing]

== RosBuild Tools ==
Helpful links that will help individuals [[Building ReactOS]] environment. Wiki welcome page has detailed development articles.

== Support ==
See a bug or have a patch? You can post for developers to see under ReactOS JIRA forums.

* [http://jira.reactos.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa ReactOS JIRA Dashboard]
* [[Submitting Patches]]

== Server Build Machines ==
Critical monitoring status healthy/injured tool for any building project.

=== Buildmaster ===
The Buildmaster runs on a server located in Sweden. This same server also stores our ISO images.

=== Buildslaves ===
{| class="wikitable"
|-
! Server
! OS
! Version
! RosBuilder
! Location
! Build Time
|-
| [[Buildslave Lammhult]]
| Linux
| 64 Bit
| Debug Trunk, KVM test, VMware Player test, Release Trunk
| Sweden
| Minutes 8
|-
| [[Buildslave Warszawa]]
| Windows 7
| 64 Bit
| Debug Trunk, CMake, VBox test
| Poland
| Minutes 11
|}

== IRC Bot ==
The IRC bot can be found in the official [http://www.reactos.org/community/irc ReactOS IRC channels].
It is a quick and easy method of gaining information about the status of the buildbot.
The commands are accepted by the IRC bot in the following format:
<pre>RosBuild: <command></pre>
The bot is highly sensitive to the format, so make sure you follow it. And do not abuse its commands!

{| class="wikitable"
! Command
! Description
|-
| <tt>commands</tt>
| List all available commands.
|-
| <tt>help&nbsp;''command''</tt>
| Give help for ''command''.
|-
| <tt>list&nbsp;builders</tt>
| List configured builders.
|-
| <tt>last&nbsp;''builder''</tt>
| List last build status for ''builder''. Replace ''builder'' with the builder you wish to see the results of.
|-
| <tt>status</tt>
| List status of the builders.
|-
| <tt>source</tt>
| Display the URL of the Buildbot's home page.
|-
| <tt>version</tt>
| Display version number of the buildbot.
|-
| <tt>stop&nbsp;build&nbsp;''build''&nbsp;''reason''</tt>
| Stop a running build.
|-
| <tt>watch&nbsp;''which''</tt>
| Announce the completion of an active build.
|-
| <tt>force&nbsp;build&nbsp;''which''&nbsp;''reason''</tt>
| Force a build.
|}

[[Category:Building]]
[[Category:ReactOS Components]]
[[Category:ReactOS Foundation]]
Last edited by Blue on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:51 am, edited 10 times in total.