► Website ReactOS Design Talk ♪♪♪

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: ► Website ReactOS Design Talk ♪♪♪

Post by Z98 »

Ignoring instructions from project members (zehnvor is responsible for a lot of the CMS modules and I am the content coordinator) is a very fast way to getting privileges revoked. If we take a position on an issue, we do so for a reason. That reason is based on priorities the project has set on how to expend its resources. And while zehnvor is not a native English speaker and may not have clearly explained his rationale, I am a native speaker and I have already outlined my issues with your approach. From our perspective, you are fixating on a completely different set of priorities, ones that you insist the project should share but which we have refused.

1) The wiki, as used by the project's developers, is a dumping ground for technical information. There was serious consideration in making the wiki internal but we decided that the information on it might be of some potential use to third parties and testers have also generally made good use of it so we left it public. The wiki therefore is not treated as the primary web presence of the project and consequently will not see any of the investment of resources such a role would demand. Those very limited resources are poured into the drupal site. Arguing about the wiki as if it were a primary web presence will therefore not get you anywhere since the main point it rests on is not a position shared by the project.

2) Usage of graphics comes with complications, you cannot simply decide you like some piece of graphic and then reuse it without checking the copyright licensing terms it is under. Any proposed icon set needs to be vetted by the project to ensure that the license they are under permits their usage. The project is not going to pay to use commercial icon sets, nor do we take it kindly if someone starts injecting icons that could potentially cause the project to be guilty of copyright infringement. This is assuming that the case that an icon set is needed at all gets accepted.

3) As mentioned by others, linking in graphics from external servers not owned by the project opens up two issues, a decrease in privacy and a potential vector of attack for malware. Had your links remained, every time a user accessed one of the wiki pages with the links, they would have also sent a request to the external server, allowing that server to track the usage of the linked content. And if you link graphics to another site, two additional security issues also arise. First, we have no control over the external server so if it is compromised, you've provided the attacker with another attack platform. Second, if the external link does not use SSL, then you've broken the chain of trust that comes with using https. Considering how much effort our sys admin put into getting that set up properly, to say that he would be livid is an understatement. It would be more accurate to say that you would have managed to piss off yet another senior project member by being careless.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Z98,
Ignoring instructions from project members. If I was ignoring instructions from project members. Than I would of not done the following steps to fix the problem at hand that was listed off to me by this member. (View the last post on page 2 to get a understanding how the post looked). As I can not get back to the page I updated and changed... Now the links i keep on the wiki page was the following: Internal links that were linking to the ReactOS project: that was offering information on project updates changes to SVN. I was told to remove the following update changes by this member the following are: > Name On Thread. > Images over Headers. (As this was a issue with privacy). Still got temp ben for following the instruction.

Therefore is not treated as the primary web presence of the project and consequently will not see any of the investment of resources such a role would demand. Arguing about the wiki as if it were a primary web presence will therefore not get you anywhere since the main point it rests on is not a position shared by the project. Than again it is shared by the project because its on the project website and being used as a developers dumping tool ground... That you've stated many times over again and over again. The welcome wiki area is a primary resource area. ( I don't want to fight this point). argue or try to make a point again over this. the point seems to be getting over looked.

It just don't really make any since, because you've taken outdated changes & I've made and fixed and than say how its wrong. Even though I fixed the changes..
So I'm going to agree to disagree to save both of our time. This way no one will get upset over pointless posting back and forth over something needed that will not happen.

justincase,
Even though I don't agree with the statement does not mean I don't follow this persons instructions.
The whole internet was a wiki at one point.... Until it got improved on and reworked, as we see it today. Allot of it was more in a chat room format... Wiki come to be from the old style of years back, Than (encyclopedia) changed the web to wiki as we know it today.... Its not just something new... Anyways people have never really experienced that. As the web is now matured from than. Also many people don't even know Bill Gates did not make the original OS for windows but bought it off another person creator. They original creator gets no credit as he sold the OS for very cheap to Bill Gates... That gets the glory of the maker of the Windows OS today.. Even though he did not make the floor plans.

I've not said anything about what you've edited out. As I'm fine with it & completely understand the reason.
You leave feedback... So I understand what I did wrong... The other person told me what I did wrong. Than I fixed it and they still undone all my changes and ben me after. I fixed what was asked. So that is the only reason I even said he is being kid like. (Not really name calling, expressing feelings over this ranked member) I should of said zehnvor name to keep it from getting confusing.

Be polite, be courteous, be civil.
(That has been my goal the whole time.) Sorry if I did not state it in the most respectful way to be taken in when reading over what I've said. When trying to state a point. Now when I was talking to Z98: about the comment he was offering. I also offered my own view point over the comment... He looks at it one way and I look at it another way Even though I might be (Right or Wrong). This does not mean we both have to agree on one thing because he has a higher rank than me and agree on any topic that this member writes on, we both should try to understand each others view points other than. I'm upset... (No Disrespected Intended).
Before...
1. Multiple builders on Buildslave Warszawa
2. Only specifically the one which builds ReactOS Trunk in debug mode.
3. Can get triggered to build automatically
4. The rest of the builderlaves are unattached. No such system in place requiring manual triggering. If a build from one is desired.

After...
1. Buildslave Warszawa, host of multiple builders.
2. Its the only buildslave which builds from Trunk in debug mode
3. Gets triggered to build automatically.
4. The others on the buildslaves are not attached to such a system, and thus require manual triggering if a build from one of them is desired.
The information on the thread has the same meaning. there is no (N and or buts), Its the same content. The one you refer just sounds better than the one i released on the wiki page I edited. (I also edited way more than that out and it was deleted)... (This is the example that was brought up here and being used here on this thread. So I'm just using it to prove a point): In other words it makes more since to you on the re-edit version than the one I offered on the wiki page (Nothing wrong with that). That is why wiki comes with the edit button. (I still don't feel it should of been fully deleted) > (I understand you did not ban me. I was just expressing my thoughts over that member). I did not want this thread turned into a rant. Person with authority over the wiki asked to stop making the kinds of changes you were making, I was not asked to stop but show every change I made even though this person could view it on their own... See above what I was asked by this member to do. in any case I would like to drop this topic as it has gotten out of hand and out of control and also. We are getting no where and hopefully we can avoid this in the future from happening over again. Thanks for your time.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Blue wrote:Z98,
Ignoring instructions from project members. If I was ignoring instructions from project members. Than I would of not done the following steps to fix the problem at hand that was listed off to me by this member. (View the last post on page 2 to get a understanding how the post looked). As I can not get back to the page I updated and changed... Now the links i keep on the wiki page was the following: Internal links that were linking to the ReactOS project: that was offering information on project updates changes to SVN. I was told to remove the following update changes by this member the following are: > Name On Thread. > Images over Headers. (As this was a issue with privacy). Still got temp ben for following the instruction.

Therefore is not treated as the primary web presence of the project and consequently will not see any of the investment of resources such a role would demand. Arguing about the wiki as if it were a primary web presence will therefore not get you anywhere since the main point it rests on is not a position shared by the project. Than again it is shared by the project because its on the project website and being used as a developers dumping tool ground... That you've stated many times over again and over again. The welcome wiki area is a primary resource area. ( I don't want to fight this point). argue or try to make a point again over this. the point seems to be getting over looked.

It just don't really make any since, because you've taken outdated changes & I've made and fixed and than say how its wrong. Even though I fixed the changes..
So I'm going to agree to disagree to save both of our time. This way no one will get upset over pointless posting back and forth over something needed that will not happen.

justincase,
Even though I don't agree with the statement does not mean I don't follow this persons instructions.
The whole internet was a wiki at one point.... Until it got improved on and reworked, as we see it today. Allot of it was more in a chat room format... Wiki come to be from the old style of years back, Than (encyclopedia) changed the web to wiki as we know it today.... Its not just something new... Anyways people have never really experienced that. As the web is now matured from than. Also many people don't even know Bill Gates did not make the original OS for windows but bought it off another person creator. They original creator gets no credit as he sold the OS for very cheap to Bill Gates... That gets the glory of the maker of the Windows OS today.. Even though he did not make the floor plans.

I've not said anything about what you've edited out. As I'm fine with it & completely understand the reason.
You leave feedback... So I understand what I did wrong... The other person told me what I did wrong. Than I fixed it and they still undone all my changes and ben me after. I fixed what was asked. So that is the only reason I even said he is being kid like. (Not really name calling, expressing feelings over this ranked member) I should of said zehnvor name to keep it from getting confusing.

Be polite, be courteous, be civil.
(That has been my goal the whole time.) Sorry if I did not state it in the most respectful way to be taken in when reading over what I've said. When trying to state a point. Now when I was talking to Z98: about the comment he was offering. I also offered my own view point over the comment... He looks at it one way and I look at it another way Even though I might be (Right or Wrong). This does not mean we both have to agree on one thing because he has a higher rank than me and agree on any topic that this member writes on, we both should try to understand each others view points other than. I'm upset... (No Disrespected Intended).
Before...
1. Multiple builders on Buildslave Warszawa
2. Only specifically the one which builds ReactOS Trunk in debug mode.
3. Can get triggered to build automatically
4. The rest of the builderlaves are unattached. No such system in place requiring manual triggering. If a build from one is desired.

After...
1. Buildslave Warszawa, host of multiple builders.
2. Its the only buildslave which builds from Trunk in debug mode
3. Gets triggered to build automatically.
4. The others on the buildslaves are not attached to such a system, and thus require manual triggering if a build from one of them is desired.
The information on the thread has the same meaning. there is no (N and or buts), Its the same content. The one you refer just sounds better than the one i released on the wiki page I edited. (I also edited way more than that out and it was deleted)... (This is the example that was brought up here and being used here on this thread. So I'm just using it to prove a point): In other words it makes more since to you on the re-edit version than the one I offered on the wiki page (Nothing wrong with that). That is why wiki comes with the edit button. (I still don't feel it should of been fully deleted) > (I understand you did not ban me. I was just expressing my thoughts over that member). I did not want this thread turned into a rant. Person with authority over the wiki asked to stop making the kinds of changes you were making, I was not asked to stop but show every change I made even though this person could view it on their own... See above what I was asked by this member to do. in any case I would like to drop this topic as it has gotten out of hand and out of control and also. We are getting no where and hopefully we can avoid this in the future from happening over again. Thanks for your time.
Now, don't take this personally blue, but in all honesty... if these posts are the best you can do, I really must say that you're not all that suited to change the grammar or spelling of an English text. I'm not English-native myself, yet I see many (rather obvious) mistakes being made in your posts.

I really hope you're being rushed and nonchalant about it in these/your forum-posts, and you are - in reality, when you focus - much more precise on the wiki. It really needs to. Please be careful and make an effort (check it out twice) when you change the grammar and spelling... and I'm not even talking about the IT-technical side here.
Blue

Post by Blue »

@Webunny,

Its just a little upsetting when you've, worked on something for hours and another person deletes all the work, without a care in the world. Like I said above. I'll try to limit any events from happening again. (Your, right). I should check... What I say twice and make sure the meaning is clearly being pointed out. As this reader got a misunderstanding of what was being said on the re-edit. As that editor got the idea, I was talking about 2 systems other than 1, and clearly that was not my goal in the re-edit. So, yes. I need to be more careful and check them twice to make sure no confusion is being viewed as wrong wording when I re-edit any pages.. I still feel wording I added on to the wiki pages should not be totally deleted either... Other than talking about that. Lets just leave it to rest and move on to improvements like this thread was meant when it was created. I don't take what you said personally.

---------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the ReactOS Development Wiki
Since, this is a website update thread. Can we add a wiki collaborating area.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

While we are at it, could you all finally learn vicmarcal's username (that is a shortcut of his name VICtor MARtinez CALvo) and stop writing it incorrectly? It seems rude to me that there are pages and pages of text written everywhere and people don't have the decency to remember someone's name :roll: Of course, this applies to everyone's names, not just the team.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Black_Fox wrote:While we are at it, could you all finally learn vicmarcal's username (that is a shortcut of his name VICtor MARtinez CALvo) and stop writing it incorrectly? It seems rude to me that there are pages and pages of text written everywhere and people don't have the decency to remember someone's name :roll: Of course, this applies to everyone's names, not just the team.
You say 'all', but it's almost all me. :-)

You shouldn't sweat it if the person himself doesn't sweat it, though. It's a nick anyway, not our real name. Whether people call me webunny or webbunny or webbuny or WB or even webby, etc.; as long as I know it's me it's sufficient. There really is no point in getting riled up for a name one invented on the spot, as long as it's not meant offensive or mal-intended, there isn't any real hurt being done. Personally, I've always found the rather obsessive insistence of some on the 'correct' spelling of an invented name a bit autistic in nature. I mean, let's face it, if I called myself here "hbkjQSGDsjhjdfghQGH_0QZENF7bqegtcbQ.KHGGCG<q;dggfvgvfQ?DFGVqdfcvfcK5R7GQS?.CBQSLLIbjdfhvffgfxh<hjfdj" can I still be offended if someone has it wrong too, then?

The nicknames are meant to be recognised as callnames. As long as it is recognised, it's doing its function.

That's my opinion on the matter, at least. People may have different opinions about it, but I refuse to let myself be drawn in by some sociological peer-pressure as if it would be something offensive or impolite. Nicks are not real names, nor are they meant as real introductions; they are here for the purpose of recognisability. If a person really feels butthurt about it, I'll do my best to remember it, but in all honesty, I'm a nonchalant guy for these sort of things; it has a very low priority with me. At some point, a nick 'sets in' in my mind, and if it's wrong, then that's it. Litera scripta et bis repetita manet.

At the other hand, I don't expect things of others that I don't do myself. I accept reciprocity. So you'll not see me whine if someone else has misspelled my nickname neither.
Blue

Post by Blue »

http://code.google.com/p/gource/

Introduction

Software projects are displayed by Gource as an animated tree with the root directory of the project at its centre. Directories appear as branches with files as leaves. Developers can be seen working on the tree at the times they contributed to the project.

Currently Gource includes built-in log generation support for Git, Mercurial, Bazaar and SVN (as of 0.29). Gource can also parse logs produced by several third party tools for CVS repositories.

Synopsis

view the log of the repository (Git, SVN, Mercurial and Bazaar) in the current path:
gource

Donations

If you like Gource and would like to show your appreciation and encourage future work on this and other open source projects by the author, please consider making a donation!