Submit Code Topic for the forums.

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

Planetary_Myth

Submit Code Topic for the forums.

Post by Planetary_Myth »

I have read in a few posts that it is better to post in jira but I think it would be a good idea to have a section to submit code. Honestly having to create another account and then posting the bug and hoping you filled it out right, then posting your fix is just a long pain staking procedure in my opinion.
Look here http://forum.dev-osrose.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4459 that was code I reworked a long time ago and if they had jira I would of never submited the code because it was easier to just post it there and get feed back from others who helped by telling me it was still not working until I finally got it working right :D Any way look through their site maybe who ever takes care of the website might get some ideas from the way theirs is laid out.
If nothing comes of it thats ok too as it is only a sugestion.
Thx 4 reading have a good day.
hbelusca
Developer

Re: Submit Code Topic for the forums.

Post by hbelusca »

Planetary_Myth wrote:Honestly having to create another account and then posting the bug and hoping you filled it out right, then posting your fix is just a long pain staking procedure in my opinion.
LOL xDDD You just have to use your current account to connect to Jira. And please bear in mind that any code fix that is not in Jira won't be considered (primarily because almost no dev are looking at the forums to find code fixes).
gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

Using the same acount you already have on reactos.org and the forums, log into jira. Click the nice "Create Issue" at the top-left. Fill in a few basic details about the patch, most notably give a description and mark the issue with the label "PATCH", and preferably also include "Patch" in the title, so people can distinguish at a glance. Right there, you have the "Attachment" item, which you can use to browse for your .patch file. Proofread what you just wrote to check that all the details are correct, and then press Create.

And if that wasn't easy enough, if you want to create more than one issue at the same time, you have a nice little box right there, that lets you create another issue immediately, without any extra clicks.

I'm sorry but I don't see how Jira is not the right place to put your patches.
Planetary_Myth

Post by Planetary_Myth »

I was not aware you could use same login but it does have a delay and you should really read everything in that post instead of picking 1 sentence out to comment on as it was my opinion nothing more.

Now reread it if you still do not understand I will put it in lamens terms 4 you if you need.
Thx have a good day.
gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

The rest of your post is just an example of exactly what JIRA is designed to help with: getting the people with the experience and knowledge to review and apply your changes.

Yes, JIRA can have a delay, because if certain bugs with the internal system that manages accounts across the site. For those cases, you can send an email to the webmasters, or to the reactos mailing list.

Sorry to be rude but if anything, what we need are not "lamens terms" (you mean "layman's terms", I assume*?), but better grammar and spelling.

* At least I don't believe it's related to any Lamen
Planetary_Myth

Post by Planetary_Myth »

Yes I meant layman's but you really have to depictate my spelling even tho you still understood it and yes i spelt depictate wrong correct that 1 for me too please.

It was meant as a suggestion nothing more to add a section for submitted code with an explanation as to why.

A simple this will never happen would suffice.

Thx again and have a good day.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

We have a place to submit code, it's called Jira. You're asking us to create another one because you think using Jira is bothersome, but we use Jira because we need the tracking functionality it provides for code history so that we can easily trace where code came from. Anything that does less tracking is unacceptable for a project with such a large codebase and number of involved developers. If you find it too bothersome to deal with the necessary bookkeeping that comes with contributing, there's nothing we can do about that.
Planetary_Myth

Post by Planetary_Myth »

I get it you only want jira now with that said I put it up there as a suggestion nothing more and at no point did I say I want you to create another one.

My reasoning behind the suggestion was for those who were having a hard time finding the right place to put fixes in jira so they are not discouraged to try and help fix the code. My thoughts were if someone had a hard time finding the right place to put their fixes then someone with more knowledge could link it to the proper bug in jira.

Ah well thought it might be a good idea and I was wrong.

Thx anyway have a good day.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

gigaherz wrote:The rest of your post is just an example of exactly what JIRA is designed to help with: getting the people with the experience and knowledge to review and apply your changes.

Yes, JIRA can have a delay, because if certain bugs with the internal system that manages accounts across the site. For those cases, you can send an email to the webmasters, or to the reactos mailing list.

Sorry to be rude but if anything, what we need are not "lamens terms" (you mean "layman's terms", I assume*?), but better grammar and spelling.

* At least I don't believe it's related to any Lamen
Giga, there is no need to go on the spelling-nazi route. You should know best of all that not all people here are English native speakers, and of those that aren't, not everyone speaks as good English as you or me. His post was still comprehensible and I think we both (and everyone else with normal reading comprehension) know he meant "layman's terms", so there is no need to rub it in. Granted, the last part of his post wasn't all that diplomatic neither, but still.

I can sort of understand where he's coming from. JIRA might be necessary and a good tool to report (and certainly manage) bugs, but it's also true it's a bit...unwieldy. Often, when one just wants to mention a bug in a more casual way, one has the tendency to just post it on the forum, and not specifically go to JIRA to input it there.

I know; devs hardly look here, and so posted bugs/patches are mostly wasted in here, but still, the feeling is recognisable. New people who only casual want to mention a bug often don't really want to go to the trouble of posting it officially on JIRA. That takes the next step of being a 'tester'.
Last edited by Webunny on Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

Webunny wrote:Giga, there is no need to go on the spelling-nazi route. You should know best of all that not all people here are English native speakers, and of those that aren't, not everyone speaks as good English as you or me.
I only ever decided to comment about the spelling because of the tone of this bit:
Now reread it if you still do not understand I will put it in lamens terms 4 you if you need.
Yes I can understand what he said, although I had to read some phrases more than once. I know perfectly well that not everyone is native English -- it IS my third language --, yet it's usually those who are speaking their native language that mistreat it the most. And yes, I loathe "txtspk".

I'm not a grammar nazi -- or I don't believe myself to be one, but I do have a little tiny bit of OCD, enough that seeing an obvious grammatical mistake ticks me the same way as seeing a floor tile placed the wrong way, or an stack of papers not completely aligned. I usually try to ignore it -- literally, I try to ignore anyone misusing a language, regardless of which. But then if I have a need to, or I want to make the effort to answer regardless, and the person I'm speaking to gives some reply like that, it's hard not to say anything ;P

[EDIT: See, I reread what I had just posted, and couldn't avoid fixing a typo, and rephrasing a few things ;P]
Planetary_Myth

Post by Planetary_Myth »

I said that because I assumed you did not read the whole post and only the first sentence then commented on it. I apologize for writing it.
As I stated it was only a suggestion and I thought if I gave an example it would of made more sense but I guess I wasnt that clear.

I will give you an example: When I redid that code I did not look to see if it was a problem. I came across it and posted my initial fix which fixed 1 problem but I found it still did not do what it was supposed to do so anywhere it was getting values I added debug code to see exactly what it was doing. In the process others tested it and described what it was doing wrong so it made it easier for me to fix it. After many rewrites I had it purring like a kitten and doing its job with the help of others that posted as well.
I hope that makes a little more sense.

Thx and have a good day.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Think over a bit more what you're asking for. You're asking that the current devs change their workflow because you find jira to be too cumbersome. Despite the fact that for the devs, their workflow, regardless of whether it is for ReactOS or for their regular work, involves creating tickets, attaching patches or associating branches with said tickets, and so on. If they want to "discuss" a bit of code, they do it via email or chat or over whatever issue tracking system they use. So for them, they already have a system for dealing with proposed code that they are very familiar with and used to. Trying to introduce a new system on top of that is not going to get them any more involved, since you are in effect inconveniencing them by disrupting their established workflow, a workflow that they all have in common for the express purpose of being able to collaborate smoothly with each other.
justincase

Post by justincase »

Planetary_Myth wrote:... an example: I ... posted my initial fix ... I added debug code ... others tested it and described what it was doing wrong so it made it easier for me to fix it.
Planetary_Myth, The issue is not that you can't post your code changes to the forums, nobody is going to stop you. The issue is that the people who can give you the feedback you're talking about don't do that on the forums, they do it on the bugtracker. So adding a section to the forum specifically for that purpose would not work, as people would expect the devs to notice posts there, and would likely be disappointed as the devs use JIRA to submit patches and review others patch submissions, and for more ... freeflowing chat they use IRC.

You may not have realized it, but your really are asking to have the devs change their workflow, and that's not feasible. Especially considering that that feedback feedback you mentioned is what JIRA was designed for, and how easy JIRA really is (it only looks daunting, you should try it).
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Jira is a good example of how structured work has to be done. You have a versioning system, search terms, bug status settings, comment history, code review sections and stuff like affected modules. It is great, way better than Bugzilla was.

Planetary_Myth wrote:... I will put it in lamens terms 4 you ...
Btw, maybe he meant that :-D
SET ANIME_MODE=1
[ external image ]
SET ANIME_MODE=0
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Well, after reading this thread I see two options:
- post your patch/issue to forums - it's easy, but the target people will not see it probably (but maybe some tester will put it to JRIA?)
- post your patch/issue to JIRA - people will look at the issue, but you will have to think hard for 10 minutes (at first time, each following ticket takes like 1 minute if you know how to do it).