Errors and Omissions

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

oldman

Errors and Omissions

Post by oldman »

Testing ReactOS

No operating system is usable if it is found to be unstable and prone to crashes. As ReactOS development work involves studying the behavior of an operating system that is not completely documented, testing should be of even greater importance, in order to fulfill the objective of binary compatibility with Windows.

You can assist the ReactOS development effort by installing regular trunk builds available here and providing feedback on issues/problems you encountered during and after installing the OS via our Jira. More information with regard to debugging is available here and is recommended reading for those who wish to submit a report to our task tracker.
The above quote is from here, and while I was reading it, I noticed that the 'here' that I have marked in red and made bold, is not a link to the latest trunk builds as it should be.
Other

If you have an idea that may help the project in any way, or would like some specific guidance as to what can be done, feel free to drop by our IRC channel. We hope to hear from you soon.
Also from the same page; it would be better if the IRC channel was also a link.

===================================================================================================================================

This next quote is from https://www.reactos.org/user-faq
Why does a certain application of mine not work under ReactOS?

ReactOS is in alpha stage and not recommended for everyday use.
Many applications do not work (correctly) because many functions have not been implemented yet. This may be one of the reasons for the software not working.
If you encounter an application that does not work, please file a bug preferably with debug output so that we can determine the cause.
The link attached to the word 'debug' (https://www.reactos.org/debugging) marked red by me, is dead, it shows a 404. In the same sentence, the wording "please file a bug preferably with" would read better if 'report' was added, like "please file a bug report, preferably with".

=======================================================================================================================================

This next quote is from https://www.reactos.org/about-reactos
About ReactOS

ReactOS® is an effort to create a Free and Open Source replacement for the Microsoft Windows NT® family that is compatible with both applications and drivers. The NT® architecture has always been highly flexible and powerful and its continued dominance in the computer industry means it is one of the most supported family of operating systems in existence, with its latest iteration being Windows 8.
As these days operating systems are little more than gateways to applications that users want to run, an open source NT implementation would allow users to continue using familiar programs in a familiar environment.
This "As these days operating systems" does not read correct, it would be better written with 'In' and not 'As', like this "In these days operating systems".

========================================================================================================================================
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
PurpleGurl

Re: Errors and Omissions

Post by PurpleGurl »

oldman wrote:
=======================================================================================================================================

This next quote is from https://www.reactos.org/about-reactos
About ReactOS

ReactOS® is an effort to create a Free and Open Source replacement for the Microsoft Windows NT® family that is compatible with both applications and drivers. The NT® architecture has always been highly flexible and powerful and its continued dominance in the computer industry means it is one of the most supported family of operating systems in existence, with its latest iteration being Windows 8.
As these days operating systems are little more than gateways to applications that users want to run, an open source NT implementation would allow users to continue using familiar programs in a familiar environment.
This "As these days operating systems" does not read correct, it would be better written with 'In' and not 'As', like this "In these days operating systems".

========================================================================================================================================
I tend to think "As these days" should be replaced by "Modern". Or remove "As" and put a comma after days.
middings

Post by middings »

The word 'as' has many meanings. One meaning is 'because'. The disputed sentence is grammatically correct.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Do you demand that mods should fix all grammar and maybe non existent links where they might be of use? Uuuuuh, nope I hope?! This is the job of the author, not of a moderator.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
oldman

Post by oldman »

My post was made in January and there was no reply at the time, so I gave up on the subject. We are now in October and it's been resurrected!
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Perhaps you need a dedicated grammar editor? :D
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
middings

Post by middings »

I have reported the broken links and missing text mentioned by oldman.
See JIRA bugtracker issues ONLINE-508 and ONLINE-509.
oldman

Post by oldman »

middings wrote:I have reported the broken links and missing text mentioned by oldman.
See JIRA bugtracker issues ONLINE-508 and ONLINE-509.
Thanks.