Website revamped - awesome!! :D

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

laurflorin

Website revamped - awesome!! :D

Post by laurflorin »

Hi guys. Just wanted to say... The website looks awesome! :D
Far back are the days when ReactOS was dev-oriented only. Now, for it
to also appeal to consumers, it should have been revamped.

The website change is, in my opinion, very welcome and in sync with times, so to say :D !

P.S. Just gonna leave this here:

[ external image ]

Don't you mean variety? ;) ;)
IT: The only place where a cookie could pose a risk to your privacy.
dizt3mp3r

Re: Website revamped - awesome!! :D

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I never use the word awesome as it is such a stupid and overused term ;) but it is a massive improvement on the old site. Showing what a good content management system CAN do. Very professional, very good indeed. Ready for 0.4.

However, a few teething bugs:

So, just to let you know - the old contact page is not redirecting:

https://www.reactos.org/contact

In fact, a few of the old pages are no longer redirecting which is no good for SEO and for visitors trawling the web and coming across dead links.
These are another couple of dead links that are giving "access denied" rather than a 404 error, so either those pages have been created - but just not activated - or the SEF URL tool is working incorrectly, I suspect the former...

https://www.reactos.org/screenshots
https://www.reactos.org/development

There are probably a lot more that you can determine if you put site:reactos.org into google, then follow each link to see if it is still 'live'. There are a few pages of links to trawl.

All of these missing URLs need to be handled in .htaccess via 301 redirects so each maps to the new page location, alternatively you use your SEO tool to create human friendly SEF URLs based upon the old URL and store them within the SEF tool's database ensuring they never expire and cannot be purged. Obviously, the target page needs to be created and published.

This is really quite important and should not be overlooked or the site's rankings will be lowered. This needs to be done very soon before the google search spider visits the site and encounters the dead links. Don't underestimate the importance of this task if you want the site's Google rankings to remain optimised.

Not so important in the scheme of things but the shop and forum menu hover-over pop-ups are not generating the <i> tag correctly, all the others are generating alt text correctly but those two are showing the whole html <i> tag code.
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

I do agree with both of you, the new website is incredible.

However, I have to say that some pages (downloads for example) require too much scrolling. It looks good, but maybe smaller images / Font sizes should help.

But I still love it <3
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I very much welcome the new website change. It's been proven that the older, more information-dense design didn't help much in attracting developers anyway, but the new one will at least attract general public interest.

What I love:
- new design!
- forum has no header which would break all anchoring as the older design did
- "Back to website" button in forum
- all the blogs in webpage are still there

What could be even better:
- the upper right-hand corner has this blue figure with "Log In", but after I do, it doesn't change to my username as 99% of the internet does
- https://reactos.org/blog displays only one blog per page
- I like the 3 pieces on the homepage ("DISCOVER HOW" etc.), but I propose they provide the information more quickly and don't spend so much time deanimating - movement is good for catching the eyes, but at least I don't want to wait half a second staring at a black frame before the next animation starts! The first one (Windows × ReactOS) seems taking too much steps to convey the information
- [Homepage] Following - Testing - Developing - Awesomizing -------->>>> Follow - Test - Develop - Awesome! (the first set sounds like nouns or non-native, while the second seem standard)
- [Homepage] "Our Features" - change the "+9,000,000" into "9,000,000+" (seems like better way to say "more than 9,000,000"), also for the devs number
- [Homepage] "Our Features" - change the "..or to Try." into "...or to Try." (three instead of two dots)

Final note: my comments are pretty minor - I know this is a mountain of work and it's done 99% great, I congratulate the ROS team on the new design :-)
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

A big thanks to the devs for incorporating the users' feedback into the webpage and further refining it :-)
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

New Website is very nice

but can you switch back to OLD FONDS in Forum ! The BOLD ist so big, and the font is so small...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Read other thread.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
KnownSyntax

Post by KnownSyntax »

I'm not gonna lie, but I love what you guys have done here with the whole redesign. Everything looks so much better, and even the forum system with the smaller font, more minimalistic feel makes it just all tie together. Great job guys, seriously!
FreshAquaria - Freshwater Discussion and Knowledgebase
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Why would you lie?