Prevent Thread Necromancy

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

middings

Prevent Thread Necromancy

Post by middings »

To prevent thread necromancy, the forum moderator might consider pre-emptively locking all topics that lack comments made in the prior 12 months.
Konata

Re: Prevent Thread Necromancy

Post by Konata »

Normally, I disagree with preventing thread necromancy, as I don't think it's beneficial to prevent people from consuming information already discussed so that information may further the discussion, instead of causing people to repeat replies that were already posted previously. But, I consider this website to be an exception, considering older threads, especially over a year old, are usually extremely outdated, discussing older version of ReactOS and it's issues, in addition to older, unrelated software that may not even be maintained or locatable anymore. So, therefor, I would like to express my support for locking old threads. 12 months sounds like a perfect time to wait.
__'-.-'__

Post by __'-.-'__ »

I vote against.
Just delete topics completely if they are sooo outdated that they are no more relevant.
Make forum self-cleanse (by moderators).
Add more moderators, if current number is not enough.
If you just lock old threads - they will encumber the forum over the time: the search will give so many results that search function will become useless, people will stop using it and will just generate even more repeating topics which will encumber the forum even more and will worsen the search even more and so on.
middings

Post by middings »

Thread Necromancy Considered Harmful has been the forum policy for a long time.
Code of Conduct wrote:5. Do not resurrect threads that are years old.

If the last post was years ago, chances are people have forgotten everything that was discussed. If you have points, restate them instead in your new opening post.
I'm just putting out the suggestion that to prevent posts to old inactive topics by mistake or by newcomers who don't know the policy, topics that have been inactive for 12 months could be locked.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

+1, even better if it could be automated using some sort of phpBB addon.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
have the search show newer results first
i do not know if this is possible to do but have search cash the results of the most common search terms
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I tried starting a thread on terminology in development help and intended it to be an ongoing reference thread to be revived as needed. I tried to continue where it left off, and mods split it, damaging the original goals and intents of the thread. The new one doesn't have the link to the wiki article that I've been maintaining, and because it is split, all the same questions will likely be asked again. I feel the mods should have made it a sticky thread instead. I might just want to start a 3rd thread on it and rewrite and sum up everything on topic from the other 2 threads.