Concerns about new users

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

PurpleGurl

Concerns about new users

Post by PurpleGurl »

We recently had several new members to join, leaving single-lined first posts that are very general to the point where you don't know if the comment fits the post they are replying to or not. While I don't see that as problematic, it does seem like a red flag or possibly spammer "grooming" type behavior. I just coined that concept, but that is when a would-be spammer tests the waters, maybe tries to establish themselves as a "regular" poster, and then starts spamming. I remember seeing a comment like, "Thanks for helping solve a problem I am having." That was their first post and out of the blue as a reply to one of Trevor's older blog entry threads (week 5). Maybe they really were trying to write some code, but someone who is not a developer or devoted ROS user suddenly chiming in with a comment a developer might make does seem a bit suspicious. I've blogged before and have received replies like "Thank you, I agree," and usually there is a signature with a link or a link in their user name, but I didn't see that here.

Then we have a new user dropping the F-bomb multiple times in posts. I am sure that violates rule #1. Saying they wish Microsoft would go F themselves is not exactly being civil. I can understand their anger and frustration at a few decisions Microsoft has made, but it would be nice if they cleaned up their vocabulary.
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Concerns about new users

Post by EmuandCo »

Taken care of. Check the mentioned topic ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Thanks on the profanity. Oh, the reply to Trevor's entry really is spam after all, and someone discovered that before I did. What they did was change the hyperlink to Trevor's profile to link to a body piercing site in their reply. The tragus (the flap of cartilage in front of the ear canal which helps protect it) certainly has nothing to do with NTFS write support. (Unless of course they were creating a hearing aide which somehow ran ROS or relied on NTFS, and that is a bit far-fetched for now.)
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Oh, that "reply" is gone now too. The spammers keep getting more creative. Their mentality is much like smugglers (eg., coconuts that were epoxied back together with contraband stuffed inside, fake "bananas" made of electrical tape and contraband, etc).

And Z98 explained what the spammers in question are doing here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15724