reactos.org - inconsistencies

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

oldman

reactos.org - inconsistencies

Post by oldman »

I have started to updated my Layman's guide on my wiki page and I have come across several inconsistencies at reactos.org, when going through the different links on the front page.

The latest build from the trunk is referred to as "Trunk Builds", "Daily Builds", "Nightly Builds" and on a link button "Latest Build!".

"Trunk Builds" is most accurate, but does everyone understand what is meant by trunk?
"Daily Builds" would be understood, but not totally accurate, because it is possible to down load builds from years ago.
"Nightly Builds" this is a left-over from the past, when a build only occurred once a day.
"Latest Build!" is the most easily understood, but not totally accurate, because it is possible to down load builds from years ago.

I think that one of these should be chosen and used consistently throughout the site. The use of all four could possibly confuse some people.

I have sent Victor a PM, but as yet, I have had no reply.

Does anyone know who is responsible for website content?
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
middings

Re: reactos.org - inconsistencies

Post by middings »

oldman wrote:Does anyone know who is responsible for website content?
I don't know but I thought Victor (vicmarcal) was the point man for the ReactOS web site.

I've noticed the same inconsistency of nomenclature that you did but I didn't do anything about it. (shame, shame!) Any of the plural names in your list seems ok to me. For example, "Daily Builds" implies that there's more than one such build and a person could guess that at least one build for each day is archived and available via a link named "Daily Builds". I'd just like the dev team to choose one name then we could start editing the ReactOS Wiki and making comments in the ReactOS Forum to get everybody using the One Name--at least in the Wiki and 'official' web parts of the ReactOS realm.

I have learned that using many different names for the same thing is confusing to people who are new to the topic under discussion or are not fluent in the language the discussion is conducted in. For understandable reasons they conclude that several different things are being talked about, not one thing with several different names. ReactOS is an international project, we should avoid obstacles to communication among the project's participants and visitors.

Try PM'ing Victor again, maybe he's been busy or wants to think about your suggestion for a bit longer. Then, if no response comes after a week try escalating the matter to a JIRA issue in the ONLINE category.
Last edited by middings on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldman

Re: reactos.org - inconsistencies

Post by oldman »

middings wrote:Then, if no response comes after a week try escalating the matter to a JIRA issue in the ONLINE category.
I decided to make a Jira Issue for it. I am not sure that Victor as even seen the PM.

If you want to follow the report, it is here: reactos.org - inconsistencies https://jira.reactos.org/browse/ONLINE-688

We will have to see if anyone takes an interest in it.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.