german errors

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

kevintrooper

german errors

Post by kevintrooper »

There are some translation errors on the front of the german page! for example! |free = freies| but thats wrong! correct way: |free = kostenlos|
woutervh

Re: german errors

Post by woutervh »

kevintrooper wrote:There are some translation errors on the front of the german page! for example! |free = freies| but thats wrong! correct way: |free = kostenlos|
Free as in free speech, not as in free drinks! So freies is correct...

grtz allrounder :p

Edit: maybe you're right, I wasn't sure and compared to dutch.
vrije <-> gratis (kostenloos)
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

you can say "freies" instead of "kostenloses" OS, it means the same.
RomanH

Post by RomanH »

I'm sorry, but "frei" and "kostenlos" does not mean the same and it is obvious that ReactOS (or any software under the GNU licence) is primarily "freie Software" (although it is "kostenlos" as well). There is no word in the GNU software license that prohibits you from selling the software for money. It's "free" as in "freedom". I'm pretty sure the definition of the word "free" in "free software" is the whole reason why this project was started. The problem is not that Microsoft Windows costs money. The problem is (as it is with all proprietary software) that it is not free. You can't change it, you can't share it, you have no influence on the standards it forces upon you, you have no way of knowing what it actually does, etc...
RomanH
CCTAHEB

Post by CCTAHEB »

If I am not wrong:
kostenlos= royalty free
alphanostrum

Post by alphanostrum »

I must know it, because I am a German :-).

This part:

ReactOS® ist ein fortschrittliches freies quelloffenes Betriebssystem, ...
I would change in:
ReactOS® ist ein fortschrittliches, für jedermann frei verfügbares und quelloffenes Betriebssystem, ...
That would be really unmistakable!
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

free -> kostenlos is right. But free -> frei is OK too and it sounds better. :-P
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
RomanH

Post by RomanH »

sorry to be so pedantic but in this case "freies" is more than just "frei verfügbares" it's about freedom as in "Free Software" as defined in th GPL. I think think the sentence can remain as it is. sorry...
RomanH
alphanostrum

Post by alphanostrum »

The context is not always a literal translation!
In order to describe the whole meaning of the word (free), in all possibilities, I could write a book :-). in this case I favor my interpretation.