Some posible problem with the forum

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

Baldomero

Some posible problem with the forum

Post by Baldomero »

Hello, I am using the new forum since it was online, but there is one thing that does not work here. The problem is that when I login the new posts icons does not appear, and so, I cannot use the view new posts, button, and also I don't know when I watch the forums what threads have posts that I have not read.

I use firefox, and also have tried with IE, but the same occurs.
RomanH

Post by RomanH »

I can confirm this. I have the same problem here (also IE and Firefox)
RomanH
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

RomanH wrote:I can confirm this. I have the same problem here (also IE and Firefox)
Confirmed here as well.

Noticing the joindate bug in addition to the 'new posts' bug, I think that some forum stuff may have been broken during the redesign of the site ^_-

(would this count as a regression?)
GvG

Post by GvG »

Yes, it's a regression...
I've tracked both bugs down, but I'm not completely sure on how to solve them yet.
MarOrt

Post by MarOrt »

On several occasions I have found the forum page width to be to big.
See: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 1dc825688d

It's not that big of a deal but it makes reading some messages difficult.

BTW my screenresolution is 1024 x 768.
GvG

Post by GvG »

The problem on that page is the large pictures. I don't think there's much we can do about that.

The "last visit" bug should be gone now.
RomanH

Post by RomanH »

I can confirm that. Thanks!
RomanH
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

MarOrt wrote:On several occasions I have found the forum page width to be to big.
See: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?...
Ironically, your link is making this thread slightly too wide on my browser :)
Normally, though, the problem is with large images, such as screenshots. If you're using Firefox, you could use this plugin to shrink the offending images.
MarOrt

Post by MarOrt »

GvG wrote:The problem on that page is the large pictures. I don't think there's much we can do about that.

Dear GvG and counting_pine, knowing de origin of the error makes it a lot bearable! :)
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

GvG wrote:The "last visit" bug should be gone now.
I'm still having problems. When I first log in it tells me which forums have new posts, but when I actually visit a forum, it seems to have the new posts as read.
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

counting_pine wrote:
I'm still having problems. When I first log in it tells me which forums have new posts, but when I actually visit a forum, it seems to have the new posts as read.
I can confirm this. It displays properly if there are new posts inside a forum, but not what threads are new/updated (using Firefox 1.0.6 on Gentoo Linux)

About the thing with too wide posts, well it happens if one long thing, it may be a word (or link it's the same) or a wide picture and the whole topic becomes that wide. That could be considered a phpbb bug, in other forum software (I think it was vBulletin) it is handled better, there only get wide the post where the wide thing is posted.

About links: Please use for long links the form

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.example.eg]example[/url]
(which looks like this: example instead of just http://www.example.eg , this eliminates such problems at least for links.
StringCheesian

Post by StringCheesian »

counting_pine wrote:
Same here and also when I click "View posts since last visit"
Sarocet

Post by Sarocet »

As the problem with the new posts icon is still making our forum-browsing difficult ;)
i make this little suggestion to patch it: Create a GET var so, when you browse the forum you'd get something like that:
http://www.reactos.org/forum/
viewtopic.php?t=906&sid=longsidname&lastvisit=time
where lastvisit determines (on whatever format you want) the date since the new post icons get marked.
The main page, that knows well you last visit should then pass it to its childs (one heritage level would be enough), i think it'd be only a line to add to the forum index, and little to the viewforum as there is already that value on some variable.
So, simple visiting would work, and if it breaks we could manually add that param to the url (a copy 'n' paste on all subforums is ok for me for now :P ).