Third party criticism to ReactOS project

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Quim

Third party criticism to ReactOS project

Post by Quim »

http://www.kernelmode.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5302

Did ReactOS devs read this?
Could this be a reflection point to really develop ReactOS well once for all?
oldman

Re: Third party criticism to ReactOS project

Post by oldman »

That topic with that link in got removed, so I suggest this also should be removed.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Quim

Post by Quim »

oldman wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:55 am That topic with that link in got removed, so I suggest this also should be removed.
So why censored it?
Is so rude the criticism that make the people of this post? Is so offensive?

Could we just calm down and analyze part by part of the article, and show what`s wrong and what`s true about, specially the technical details?

What about the technical details described?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

It was removed due to the fact it originated from a spam post. Feel free to handle this as you want. We handle it in a way or another too.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

There's no need to respond to that kind of thing, it seems doubtful the author would be convinced of anything (and unclear what use it would be to us to try). It's also generally a discouraged practice to act defensively toward (at least somewhat) valid criticism.

What we can do is fix the bugs that were mentioned... and I believe that has happened.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The reason why I suggested we close it the original thread is that the whole thing is deeply unhealthy. I think that chap is a very dangerous person to engage with and I strongly think we ought to disassociate ourselves from the whole unhealthy debate. You cannot win with someone like that and he is likely to seek out and damage ReactOS further. He has the capability and the means.

Let us set a precedent of being able to stand aloof from slanging matches like this. After all, what is any response going to achieve? You will never convince that sort of person.

I suggest we refrain from responding or giving it any time on this forum. I'd further suggest we take it offline to Mattermost, have the chat there and then delete this thread too.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

Deleting seems excessive. But I agree there's not much left to say on the subject.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

That chap wants to stir it and I think we need to defuse.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Take him his base by fixing bugs as it was done all the time in the past, too. As he even confirmed, bugs vanish from time to time (Cpt. Obvious?). Of course there are enough left to fix, but even if these are fixed he will find another thing to pee onto. I confirm that the whole discussion is a) useless and b) dangerous.
I was close to lock this thing here today morning already after I realized that he really approved my post over there mainly to accuse me to be the evul german ip without any proof and being a fanboy (which might be true though ^^). And not just that. He said that he disapproved any other fanboy's posts, too. So he does not allow ANYONE to have another opinion and a normal discussion over there! We call that whole bunch of postings a case of "Rufmord" over here and ppl can be sued quite effectively when doing so. But I don't care. Whoever believes a guy not giving any argument for his claims TWICE is not to be trusted! This whole thing cannot be won, just be ignored. There are sooo many things I would like to fire back at him... ("I know too much about your project" - Orly?! What do you know to call us liars?! I already asked for proof and nothing shows up except this?! WOW! // "I just went down to your level" - What level?! Who pissed on our feet? I did NOT!), but... not with the risk this whole thing includes. Crazy guys tend to do crazy things... ^^ And this guy is on a craziness level OVER 9000!!!
So... if noone has to add anything else, I'd like to lock this thing down. Objections?

EDIT: If anyone ever dares to accuse me of moderator rights abusal again, I will send him over there to understand what he claimed to be the case in here ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I'm with both Daniel and Diz on this. This does seem to be a dangerous sort of troll, and these are the kind who will pull you into a sewer and are always better at navigating the sewer. These are the ones for whom the old US saying "Walk softly and carry a big stick" may apply. I'd let legal counsel look into this, but outside that, I wouldn't engage. He has yet to give proof for his allegations which seem very baseless to me. There are some parts that can only be done one way. He claims we turned it to garbage to hide being IP thieves, when that was never the issue. No, I see it as a matter of changing languages and improving coding practices. I just don't know what his beef is.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

This guy seems like a jerk. And aside from legitimate bugs, the proof he offers to back up his other claims mostly comes down to, "trust me, I know these things."

Since he's not interested in any discussion, I'm not either. Don't give him the web traffic.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

Just we fix his bugs at a time and never look behind.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

EmuandCo wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:14 pm mainly to accuse me to be the evul german
Who would ever accuse you of that! :)
EmuandCo wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:14 pm EDIT: If anyone ever dares to accuse me of moderator rights abusal again, I will send him over there to understand what he claimed to be the case in here ^^
Damn good reference that...

PS. Feel free to lock!
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

And what do you think about the Rocall tool? And is it okay to use tools built by those who are "dirty?" At least if you never examine the source?
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

PurpleGurl wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:05 pm And what do you think about the Rocall tool?
All tools are useful for us.
PurpleGurl wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:05 pm And is it okay to use tools built by those who are "dirty?" At least if you never examine the source?
I don't see any major problem here.