ReactOS as it is

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

auron

ReactOS as it is

Post by auron »

By the time people finally understand what you have really accomplished, you will have made history together.

Your work thus far sends out a pretty clear message that you will succeed. Of all the developers in the world, you as a team are doing what has eluded so many others outside of Microsoft. Thank you for taking on this project with such a clear focus.

Sincerely,
Auron Priestley
GvG

Post by GvG »

Thank you. Your message is a nice change from the "dude, your GUI sucks" we've been hearing so much lately.
forart

Re: ReactOS as it is

Post by forart »

auron wrote:Of all the developers in the world, you as a team are doing what has eluded so many others outside of Microsoft. Thank you for taking on this project with such a clear focus.
Absolutelly agree. :idea:

...anyway, MS Windows GUIs (and, well, filesystem too in my opinion) sucks ! 8)
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
mf
Developer

Re: ReactOS as it is

Post by mf »

Patchworks wrote:...anyway, MS Windows GUIs (and, well, filesystem too in my opinion) sucks ! 8)
Please go back to your own threads where you can rant about that all you like. This is a thread of appreciation, keep it ontopic.

I wholeheartedly agree with both auron and GvG (since I am partly user partly contributor ;)).
It compiles, let's ship it!
Stead

Post by Stead »

well, i tried the 2.8 release earlier today, and i was impressed! (more so than usual) proberbly because i and my girlfriend got addicted to solitaire for an ahour after i found it was in the system32 dir...for some reason it was much more satisifying using reactos than windows, she managed to complete a game, i'd like to pretend we weren't disapointed with the lack of dancing cards when you win, but overall i am impressed! especially since shes not really normally impressed with that kind of thing, she did get frustrated with the explorer tho, as everytime she doubled clicked on a file it kept going to rename, not sure if its supposed to...i just clicked on the icons to avoid the frustration!

i still can't believe how far its come, i remember finding this project 5 years ago and thinking thats neat, never really thought it would of gotten past the console, but the fact it loads the vmware vga driver just amazes me!
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Nice to heard you Stead like ReactOS alot work in progress for monet, like network, PnP, USB, some part of directx and lot more. Network, PnP and USB I think it will be done this year.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Stead wrote:She did get frustrated with the explorer tho, as everytime she doubled clicked on a file it kept going to rename, not sure if its supposed to...i just clicked on the icons to avoid the frustration!
I think that is anyoning too, maybe I am going to fix it.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
Davethewave

Post by Davethewave »

Will ReactOS always be free? I don't mean free as in "freedom of speech" but will it be free as in gratis from the main developers? Also, great job to whoever is working on this project! My best wishes go out to you.
GvG

Post by GvG »

Simple answer: yes, free both as in speech and as in beer.
GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN »

GvG wrote:Simple answer: yes, free both as in speech and as in beer.
And this is why it has a lot of chance of going reconized when it will be finished, just imagine, something that run EVERY Windows apps, and which is free : it just makes Windows useless, since, well, if you see the price of Windows :?
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

GaeTaN wrote:
GvG wrote:Simple answer: yes, free both as in speech and as in beer.
And this is why it has a lot of chance of going reconized when it will be finished, just imagine, something that run EVERY Windows apps, and which is free : it just makes Windows useless, since, well, if you see the price of Windows :?
It will still not make Windows useless. Many companies will still pay to get support and guarantees etc.
GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN »

Maybe.
Or perhaps they'll realize that ReactOS is given without Windows' bugs :)
Viator

Post by Viator »

I think it WILL make windows useless espcially if theres a 64bit version....
The developers as most oss developers will make money by offering these companies support.. And believe me it will be 100000% better then any *support* youd recieve from microsoft. The only REAL guarantee you get from microsoft is that the new enhanced version is right around the corner trust us its coming sometime........... and that the next version will cost alot more!
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Harteex wrote:It will still not make Windows useless. Many companies will still pay to get support and guarantees etc.
There will be a paid distribution like SuSE or RedHat with product support etc.
It compiles, let's ship it!
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

First I want to say that I agree with you in the point that ReactOS is and WILL be a great OS in the near future. It must be with this GREAT community. Keep doing it this way and you will succeed.

P.S:
There will be a paid distribution like SuSE or RedHat with product support etc.
One or two Distributions would be great, but Linux-like mass of Distributions would be bad. It makes the whole thing too complicated. One of the main PROs of Windows and ReactOS should be, having both simpliness for normal users and more advanced features for professional users in one OS.
Simple answer: yes, free both as in speech and as in beer.
Hmm, beer. :wink: