0.3.14 Screenshots

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

0.3.14 Screenshots

Post by vicmarcal »

Hi!
As you may know the ReactOS website gallery is really outdated. Latest screenshots are from 0.3.9 era (3 years ago).
Magazines, Forums, and Bloggers are using these old screenshots as the vistual support for their news/threads/entries.
Since 0.3.9, ReactOS has improved a LOT and we should reflect this compatibility jump there too.

I have opened this thread with the main objective of sharing screenshots of apps currently working in ReactOS.
There are some obvious guidelines:
-Apps must be tested in 0.3.14 (not in a trunk build)
-The screenshot must show the taskbar(so ReactOS Start button appears)
-The screenshot should reflect a working GUI (missing buttons, wrong colors, mixed menues arent desired)
-If the Wallpaper is shown, then please use the Official wallpaper(the default one)instead an own one. This rule is not applicable if the screenshot is about a new Theme working in ReactOS and it includes its own wallpaper.
-Describe the specific version of the App tested.
If desired, you can add your Twitter account, and in case we twitt them we will mention you there.

Updating our gallery is really important as it is the main reference for ReactOS Releases.

Thanks for your contribution and time!

PS:Please, avoid parallel talks about the Apps.Let's try to have this thread clean and organized, as much as possible.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: 0.3.14 Screenshots

Post by vicmarcal »

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Winrar 3.80
[ external image ]
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

May I ask that we use PNG instead of JPG? JPEG is for taking photographs of three dimensional things from the real world, so screenshots of rectangular windows tend to look really ugly.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
bolescise

Post by bolescise »

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Here are a few:

ros314photoshop5le.png
PhotoShop 5 LE running under ReactOS - now perhaps you can replace that old PhotoShop 3 one with the badly drawn toolbar on the main page.
ros314sc2k.png
Sim City 2000 running under ReactOS. I like how this city has a bunch of radiation tiles around it.
Both Photoshop and SC2K suffer from a problem with the toolbars not staying on top, but I worked around that for these pictures.
ros314soundapps.png
WinAmp 2.6 and Creative Wave Studio 4.06 running under ReactOS. Trying to illustrate that sound works under ReactOS these days.
ros314superpi.png
SuperPI calculating PI under ReactOS 0.3.14.
ros314firefox10esr.png
Firefox 10 ESR, running under ReactOS.

rosbest.zip
I'll try and refresh some screen shots for 0.3.14, but for the time being, here are some from slightly older versions. (All of these should be in the CompatDB)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Thanks guys!Keep them coming!
igorko

Post by igorko »

DOSGuy wrote:May I ask that we use PNG instead of JPG? JPEG is for taking photographs of three dimensional things from the real world, so screenshots of rectangular windows tend to look really ugly.
PNG uses compression without quality loss, JPG uses compression WITH quality loss (though quality loss can be set to "0"). Agree that for common screenshots can be used JPG, but if you want to show highbit colors or some cool art it's better to use lossless format.
DivXMan

Post by DivXMan »

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

igorko wrote:PNG uses compression without quality loss, JPG uses compression WITH quality loss (though quality loss can be set to "0"). Agree that for common screenshots can be used JPG, but if you want to show highbit colors or some cool art it's better to use lossless format.
The issue is more than just lossless vs. lossy. JPG is a particularly bad format to use for screenshots because its lossy compression algorithm assumes that the next pixel will be a different color, which is almost always true in the real world, but almost never true in a screenshot of an application window. You're always going to get ugly "artifacts" in title bars and anywhere where there's a large region of pixels that should all be the same color if you use JPG for screenshots. It's simply understood among webmasters that you shouldn't use JPEG for screenshots.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

Ehm you might want to start with high-resolution wallpapers in the first place. Somebody bundled a few wallpapers with 800x600 (x16 ?) as bitmaps with ReactOS 0.3.14. In other words, resolution changes (real hardware, QEMU, Bochs, VMware etc) are really really ugly. Or you must insist on 800x600 screenshots in the first place :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ubu ... 121-3.html is an excellent template for discussing an operating system, including all those screenshots.

Recent screenshots at least will show that luckily the blue squares around desktop icon text has disappeared, a visual blessing :)
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Here are a couple more:

ros314mess100.png
Mess .100 running under ReactOS
ros314mame100.png
Mame .100 running under ReactOS
ros314macemus.png
Basilisk II and MiniVmac running under ReactOS. Updating the screen actually works right now in Basilisk II in Direct X mode (GDI mode still doesn't render correctly).

Although it wasn't specified as a rule, VBox/QEMU window borders really should be cropped out unless it is somehow relevant (Such as showing Vbox guest extensions running). Screen shots should focus on ReactOS, not the fact that it is running inside an emulator.

Don't know about Imageshack, but unfortunately some image hosting sites always recompress images as JPG.
DukeNukemCZ

Post by DukeNukemCZ »

now they are outdated, long ago i said they are already outdated and no one make new sceens :( or finally PR start working? :D

PS: im trying few old software mode games and some older gog games but without any success all the time some "not walid Win 32" issue with EXE file...
(Virtualbox, WinNT4 and 3D+2D acceleration is good?)

now i thinking about applications, but sadly i cant come with single one which will work on reactOS or ones which still isnt screened (mostly using only new ones 64bit)... maybe VLC screenshot :D i dont know still long way to go now more and more apps work but mostly all some old crap applications which no-one knows or are outdated (like photoshop 3) and few needed like (winrar, 7zip and so on) if i can guess i pick another 3-4 years until i launch something like Photoshop CS4-CS5 or Maya 2008-2012 and some newer DirectX games (DX8-DX9?)
Last edited by DukeNukemCZ on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

DukeNukemCZ wrote:now they are outdated, long ago i said they are already outdated and no one make new sceens :( or finally PR start working? :D
I think they were waiting for a note worthy release.
Stay frosty, Tony Bark.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

PR started working, as you can seen in Twitter and here. We'd want to go faster settling all the PR so others can join the PR Team but sadly the old bottlenecks asre bottlenecking. We are taking some actions to destroy all the bottlenecks from now and forever. It takes time.

The invalind WIN32 is related to Win16 Exes. You selected really old games!Try them with DosBOX or hmm ScummVM. :O