GSoC 2012 & ReactOs

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cruonit

GSoC 2012 & ReactOs

Post by cruonit »

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/home ... e/gsoc2012

An info, what are the project proposals.
zed260

Re: GSoC 2012 & ReactOs

Post by zed260 »

i dont think reactos was picked to be part of gsoc 2012 hopefuly we get 2013
milon

Post by milon »

Yeah, we're not on their list of Accepted Organizations.
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

Have we even applied for GSoC 2012?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Yes and we didn't get in.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

no student was interested? :?:
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

cmoibenlepro wrote:no student was interested? :?:
No. Google chose not to sponsor us again this year. See, the way it works is that Google chooses the open source projects it wants to sponsor. After deciding that, they match up students with open source organizations. So if Google doesn't choose us, students don't even get offered the chance, not through them. Sure, any student wanting to help us can just come here, but they won't get any money for doing so. So that brings us to why we are doing this new fundraiser. Sponsored coding works as last year's GSOC proved. Google or no Google, the concept remains the same. Make it worthwhile for skilled and/or promising programmers to give us a chance.

Mentioning only as a side point and not wanting to discuss this part, there have been dynamics to this project in the past that I feel turn people off, at least those wanting to get involved as volunteers. I am happy to say that has gotten better. Anyway, those same elements seem to be accepted practice in the workplace. My point in mentioning is that people accept things from their employers and instructors that they don't accept in other settings. As troubling as the economy is in parts of the world, adding funding to the mix certainly makes things more acceptable and worthwhile.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

I'd imagine that their choice not to include ReactOS this year simply revolved around the fact that there are so many worthy projects and organizations out there but only so much money.

Still, I wonder if there is anything that can be done to make ReactOS more attractive for next year? All the new PR should certainly help.
x01r

Post by x01r »

:!: to get popular, :idea:
(DirectX 9 support) 8-)
milon

Post by milon »

That would be an awesome undertaking indeed. It would also be awesome if ROS was at a state where it would be ready to have DirectX support added by the next GSoC.
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

As someone already said - ROS has DirectX support through WINE. I think that implementing necessary parts of the OS to make GPU drivers work would actually be a breakthrough.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Sad. Does Google give a reason for refusal? Is it because 2 students did not complete their projects on time last year?
fulea.stefan

Post by fulea.stefan »

The stats of accepted candidats, posted a few days ago:
http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2 ... art-2.html

BTW, in addition to something I've mentioned in another post, it seems that in Romania the ReactOS mentors might also find students appealing to Google. :)
...or at least you know now where it makes more sense to focus efforts in the future.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

I concur with fulea.stefan. Eastern Europe generally has skilled IT personnel, you basically just need to tap it. IBM has done outsourcing into Bulgaria, if I remember correctly. Besides money, do not forget that "being involved with the ONLY Windows compatible OS around" also would mean considerable prestige.