ReactOS Fundraising 2012

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

fireball
Developer

Re: ReactOS Fundraising 2012

Post by fireball »

Let's abstract from the crowdfunding platform, that's technical/org side.
It's much better to discuss what features, services, ideas would *you* actually want to pay for now. Not some abstract backer who come out of nowhere, but you, participants of this thread.

This way I could understand your needs, as a community. What minimal set of features you think are useful, what platforms, what apps are most important (I think this last point was already over-discussed, but anyway).
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

fireball wrote:Let's abstract from the crowdfunding platform, that's technical/org side.
It's much better to discuss what features, services, ideas would *you* actually want to pay for now. Not some abstract backer who come out of nowhere, but you, participants of this thread.

This way I could understand your needs, as a community. What minimal set of features you think are useful, what platforms, what apps are most important (I think this last point was already over-discussed, but anyway).
I would like to be able to run Windows apps in Android :3.

And from an useful pov:
-Office suites: LibreOffice,OpenOffice. (The one which works best could go bundled).Compatible with Ms Office(I still need to run Macros)
-Unzipper: 7zip(bundled). Compatible with Winrar and Winzip.
-Media: Vlc(bundled)
-Browsers:Firefox or Chrome(bundled). Compatible with Opera at least.
With these we can provide a big bunch of needs covered(more or less).
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

There are many usage scenarios, but most are too broad to select only a few parts (general Windows/Linux substitute/gaming machine). Therefore I choose the "easiest" one of them - I could install ReactOS as a primary system on my work laptop.
Essential for that usage would be to have fully working:
- partitioning etc.
- WPA2 Wi-fi access
- USB 1.1 support
- network SS stable enough to support and withstand long VPN sessions
- working recent version of Chrome(priority)/Firefox
- Putty
- WinSCP
- Dropbox

Nice to have (I can live without but still would like and use daily):
- dock support
- stable sound SS
- full USB 2.0 support
- theming support
- Adobe Reader
- FileZilla

Note: I haven't tested ROS in recent months, with some apps never, so it is possible that some of them work or have been fixed since. I know even the requirements are quite wide, but yes, I have to do some actual work at work :mrgreen: I hope I didn't miss anything. x86 as the supported platform is completely fine for the near future for me (say, 2 years). EDIT: My old offer of humble financial support of WPA2 support implementation is still standing.
Last edited by Black_Fox on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

A nice niche could be: RapsberryPi(or a fixed hardware)+Reactos. That will open a nice market for Smart TVs.
Yaraslau

Post by Yaraslau »

fireball wrote:...what features, services, ideas would *you* actually want to pay for now.
USB. SATA.
fireball wrote:...what apps are most important...
Need for my everyday (almost) use: MS Office, Sony Vegas, NANO Antivirus, Agnitum Firewall, AdFender, WinDjView, TeraCopy, Abbyy Finereader, Abbyy Lingvo, Auslogics Boostspeed, 7-Zip, Opera, Free Video Player and LightAlloy. That's all. :roll: The rest - very specific.
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

in order to use it in classrooms(foundamentals of programming) at my faculty (they are looking for a windowsXP replacement and have problems with linux hardware compatibility):
- to work on old siemens machines + usb host
- code::blocks(gcc) + a browser without BSoD for two hours :)
- deep freeze(not easy :( )
- libreoffice
- 7zip
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

TODO:
Reset the foundrasing counter to 0 maximum value 17.000 USD , change the year to 2013 and add the text: "14.000USD collected in year 2012"
or wait for the new website
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

THIS HAS TO BE DONE WELL, PLEASE CHANGE THE YEAR OF THE FUNDRAISING (2012) TO (2013) AND LETS COMPLETE THE CAMPAIGN!
:D
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

They are probably waiting for January end of month data. (Or at least that sounds like a good reason :lol: )
eersoy93

Post by eersoy93 »

Hi! Why we start ReactOS 1.0 Fundraising for ReactOS 1.0? In my opinion, the fundraising's goal can be 500.000€. If the fundraising completed, ReactOS 1.0 can be released quickly.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Simple. We cant start a fundraising for something we cant accomplish quickly. We dont just need money for getting things done, we need developers paid by the money. But before we claim to collect for 1.0, we do a smaller and more realistic goal to not make the donators go mad at us if it takes too long. The money will be used for getting closer to 1.0 of course.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
eersoy93

Post by eersoy93 »

EmuandCo wrote:Simple. We cant start a fundraising for something we cant accomplish quickly. We dont just need money for getting things done, we need developers paid by the money. But before we claim to collect for 1.0, we do a smaller and more realistic goal to not make the donators go mad at us if it takes too long. The money will be used for getting closer to 1.0 of course.
In that case, we can start ReactOS 0.4.0 Fundraising.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

When you present a position, you need to also present proof to back that position.
eersoy93

Post by eersoy93 »

eersoy93 wrote:In that case, we can start ReactOS 0.4.0 Fundraising.
Z98 wrote:When you present a position, you need to also present proof to back that position.
Sorry, I wrote that in a hurry. I want to explain "Why we start ReactOS 0.4 Fundraising for ReactOS 0.4?".
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Say...I don't see any fundraising-bar for 2013 anymore? Why not? It seemed to be relative succesful in 2012. Or has it already reached its goal, and there won't be another until 2014?