Website Revamp: Your feedback is very needed !

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: Website Revamp: Your feedback is very needed !

Post by Z98 »

The fact that phpbb's specific bbcodes do not work is not a surprise, nor was it unexpected. Nor was it considered a showstopper. It is at best a minor irritant compared to the pain in the ass that trying to tie phpbb's login into yet another system would represent.
fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

As it's evident, phpbb integration fully works now in D7. Even if you hit Logout, you'll be correctly logged out from Drupal too.

(Spent whole day today configuring and finding ways to move the database - now it works).
You can check it live at http://playground.reactos.org/phpbbforu ... 467#p97467 (same thread)
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

So is that you volunteering to maintain a drupal based site? Cause we have no one else willing to do so.
fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

Z98 wrote:So is that you volunteering to maintain a drupal based site? Cause we have no one else willing to do so.
Well, that's what I'm doing right now, as I have enough of experience with using it for at least two other projects. Typo3 is great too, but my knowledge of Typo3 is about 0 (I know it's used by some serious websites too), and Danny is busy.
So the most realistic way to quickly move to a new website (at least, something managable, soemthing which at least I could edit without fearing to destroy everything) is that I put my own efforts. Searching and hiring a contractor could lead to another 6 months delay, at the very least.

Right now, Drupal 7 works, forum works, the missing parts are mediawiki (to be checked, integration should be already done by Maciej) and some glue code for LDAP auth for JIRA.

Still, if I encounter big problems along the way, I reserve the right to grab my words back :)
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

To remind you :
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Typo3 looks so nice... :Q
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

It's mostly a matter of CSS-styling. When this topic was announced, the Typo3 version looked very similar to the Drupal one in terms of rectangularity and old-schoolness. I agree that now the visual design of Typo3 seems much better, but it doesn't say much about the underlying code - but the needed code improvement is why it's done in the first place.
zehnvor

Post by zehnvor »

for typo3, please use http://static.54.22.63.178.clients.your-server.de/ instead.
it is the same site, but the tabs on the startpage work only here (it's strange...)
I agree that now the visual design of Typo3 seems much better, but it doesn't say much about the underlying code - but the needed code improvement is why it's done in the first place.
currently, dangerground has not much time and there is a lot of work to do, e.g. the upgrade to typo3 6.0.
we are also working on a rewrite of the compatDB - it actually works fine in typo3 but the code is very outdated

the data import from phpbb also has to be optimized, however the import from mediawiki works very well (see here)

because of the use of html5 and some other problems, the site is not displayed correctly in IE < 9.0 - so an alternative template has to be made
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Not so much people use Windows XP

And not so much use IE, most people use FireFox, Safari or Opera, and there are a lot of great alternatives like the one im using (Dooble browser)
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

zehnvor wrote:for typo3, please use http://static.54.22.63.178.clients.your-server.de/ instead.
it is the same site, but the tabs on the startpage work only here (it's strange...)
I agree that now the visual design of Typo3 seems much better, but it doesn't say much about the underlying code - but the needed code improvement is why it's done in the first place.
currently, dangerground has not much time and there is a lot of work to do, e.g. the upgrade to typo3 6.0.
we are also working on a rewrite of the compatDB - it actually works fine in typo3 but the code is very outdated

the data import from phpbb also has to be optimized, however the import from mediawiki works very well (see here)

because of the use of html5 and some other problems, the site is not displayed correctly in IE < 9.0 - so an alternative template has to be made
In my opinion the Complete Data of the CompatDB should be purged an started from the ground up.

You did a reeeeeeeeeeeeeally nice job with Dangerground, Fireball has much to do with his drupal if he wants to beat this.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

A lot of the older CompatDB test reports have messed up version numbers, and should indeed be purged. At minimum there needs to be some way that designated people can edit and delete stuff. I'll volunteer to help clean up entries if I'm permitted.
fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

gonzoMD wrote:
zehnvor wrote:for typo3, please use http://static.54.22.63.178.clients.your-server.de/ instead.
In my opinion the Complete Data of the CompatDB should be purged an started from the ground up.
You did a reeeeeeeeeeeeeally nice job with Dangerground, Fireball has much to do with his drupal if he wants to beat this.
Yes, Danny & Co. are doing a great job, I really appreciate their efforts (I tried to help myself too).

But to be clear, let's not mix layout, design, content and functionality.
Since I'm working on Drupal7-based website, I will comment:
1. I'm putting all efforts now on the functionality, so that
a. All credentials are transferred as is, without the need to restore or reset user passwords
b. All existing forum and mediawiki content is transferred without any loss
c. Integration with JIRA and FishEye works as expected
d. Play-Thru captcha is enabled for new user registrations
2. Layout: As I previously said a number of times, the actual website components layout is quite good and easy to follow, and both Typo3 and Drupal7 playgrounds share the layout
3. Design: Yes, RosCMS-based website is too oldschool. But, when it comes to me, functionality is top priority, and when it's done, it would be good to bring some fancy-ness to the website.

To put it simple: Drupal7-playground is nearly 90% ready in terms of functionality, and I'm actively working on it. After that's done, we can of course improve the visual appearance.

BTW Rectangular is still considered good (hint: Facebook) :-).
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Windows 8
fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

jonaspm wrote:
Windows 8
Haha, good catch!
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

fireball wrote:
jonaspm wrote:
Windows 8
Haha, good catch!
Without saying that most of the people say that its new interface is non-adapted for PCs... :twisted: