ReactOS runs my games...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

RomanH

ReactOS runs my games...

Post by RomanH »

just thought I'd let you know that ReactOS runs my little SDL games perfectly. :D
Maybe this is only of interest to me, but then again, everybody loves screenshots...
[ external image ]

Thanks to all ReactOS-Devs who made this possible!
RomanH
gnu_rocky

Hey Cool

Post by gnu_rocky »

Dude.

Can I get those games that you have? Those look cool! Just send me links or something.

Matthew Nawrocki
gnu_rocky
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

cool! :D That's fun!
RomanH

Post by RomanH »

(just as I thought. I'm not the only one who likes colourful screenshots) :wink:

http://www.romanhoegg.ch/Games.zip
The file contains the three games & their sources. All are done with Dev-C. To compile them you will need to download the SDL pack for Dev-C.

But be warned: All games are (just as 99.9% of all homebrew games) WORK IN PROGRESS. They are not finnished. I intend to keep working on all of them.
RomanH
TOTMS

Re: ReactOS runs my games...

Post by TOTMS »

RomanH wrote:just thought I'd let you know that ReactOS runs my little SDL games perfectly. :D
Maybe this is only of interest to me, but then again, everybody loves screenshots...
[ external image ]

Thanks to all ReactOS-Devs who made this possible!
lol cool, what else can you do with the engine?
RomanH

Post by RomanH »

I think calling it an engine would be too much. It's just the basic structure that is (more or less) the same in all my games. (input, game loop, etc.)

however, with a little bit of effort it can do pretty much anything... :D
RomanH
TOTMS

Post by TOTMS »

RomanH wrote:I think calling it an engine would be too much. It's just the basic structure that is (more or less) the same in all my games. (input, game loop, etc.)

however, with a little bit of effort it can do pretty much anything... :D
Oh cool, is it something you wrote yourself? It looks good :lol:
RomanH

Post by RomanH »

Yes, the code is 100% written by me. Hoewever I "borrowed" graphics from different games. (which I will replace with my own ones sooner or later)
RomanH
TOTMS

Post by TOTMS »

RomanH wrote:Yes, the code is 100% written by me. Hoewever I "borrowed" graphics from different games. (which I will replace with my own ones sooner or later)
what exactly is sdl then?
RomanH

Post by RomanH »

SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) is a library I used (which I did NOT write!)
designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer.
http://www.libsdl.org/index.php

It was originally developed by a company called Loki Games which ported commercial games to GNU/Linux. The company wasn't very successful (commercially) but their library still rules. SDL is comparable to DirectX but it is available for many more platforms.
Simple DirectMedia Layer supports Linux, Windows, BeOS, MacOS Classic, MacOS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, BSD/OS, Solaris, IRIX, and QNX. There is also code, but no official support, for Windows CE, AmigaOS, Dreamcast, Atari, NetBSD, AIX, OSF/Tru64, RISC OS, and SymbianOS.
(I guess ReactOS should be added to this list)

It makes developing games a lot easier as you can focus on the game itself and you don't have to worry about stuff like "how do I create a window?", "how can I ensure that my code will compile on other operating systems (reasonably) easily?", "how can I address the joystick?", ...

SDL is also used by many other projects like ScummVM, the Quake2 engine has been and Quake3 is currently being ported to SDL...

hope this makes things clearer :-)
RomanH
TOTMS

Post by TOTMS »

RomanH wrote:SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) is a library I used (which I did NOT write!)
designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer.
http://www.libsdl.org/index.php

It was originally developed by a company called Loki Games which ported commercial games to GNU/Linux. The company wasn't very successful (commercially) but their library still rules. SDL is comparable to DirectX but it is available for many more platforms.
Simple DirectMedia Layer supports Linux, Windows, BeOS, MacOS Classic, MacOS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, BSD/OS, Solaris, IRIX, and QNX. There is also code, but no official support, for Windows CE, AmigaOS, Dreamcast, Atari, NetBSD, AIX, OSF/Tru64, RISC OS, and SymbianOS.
(I guess ReactOS should be added to this list)

It makes developing games a lot easier as you can focus on the game itself and you don't have to worry about stuff like "how do I create a window?", "how can I ensure that my code will compile on other operating systems (reasonably) easily?", "how can I address the joystick?", ...

SDL is also used by many other projects like ScummVM, the Quake2 engine has been and Quake3 is currently being ported to SDL...

hope this makes things clearer :-)
Cool, thanks for the info, pity it didnt work out for them.
forart

Re: ReactOS runs my games...

Post by forart »

RomanH wrote:just thought I'd let you know that ReactOS runs my little SDL games perfectly. :D
Would this means that SDL works on ReactOS ?
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
RomanH

Post by RomanH »

Would this means that SDL works on ReactOS ?
I don't know whether all SDL functions work but at lot already runs very well. (input via mouse and keyboard, everything concerning 2d graphics, ...) Of course there is no sound yet.

BTW: ScummVM (which also uses SDL) works perfectly as far as I tested it. (once again, no sound) - http://www.scummvm.org/
RomanH
forart

Post by forart »

RomanH wrote:Of course there is no sound yet.
I hope ROS will implement (or involve) some features from this projects:
- OpenAL: cross-platform 3D audio API
- VDMSound: a modular, extendable soundcard (and other "legacy" hardware) emulator
- kX Project: free WDM Audio Drivers (API source code available)

:roll:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

kxproject does not alown other dispturtion of there software. read there licen. it is free. but do not follow gpl or lgpl