Reactos Update (Was: ReactOS applications needed?)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re:

Post by vicmarcal »

hto wrote: I already mentioned version control systems, which internally keep only some revisions, while other, intermediate revisions are stored as diffs.
Right, I've seen that SVN works with diffs too.
What about the special case a dev has developed an own User32.dll which doesnt fit the .dll of the revision that he has installed?
In this case sending a diff won't be enough and we should send a whole file,right?
I'm doing a set of potential issues to have most of the issues covered :)
Thanks for your tips! :)
Hope naums will take note too :)
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

What about the special case a dev has developed an own User32.dll which doesnt fit the .dll of the revision that he has installed?
Updater should detect such situations (comparing hash sums, perhaps) and show the user a list of locally modified files. Then the user will decide whether to keep old files or replace them by new ones.
fulea.stefan

Re: Reactos Update (Was: ReactOS applications needed?)

Post by fulea.stefan »

Two notes:

- "The level of the whole ReactOS" doesn't work if there are files missing. Such files might be missing because the user's choice (and such choice is allowed, isn't it?)

- Files can be hashed avoiding the white changes in PE binaries, and the pool of those files and their contained sections that changes only with building in different points of time and different revision number can be deduced automatically.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Such files might be missing because the user's choice (and such choice is allowed, isn't it?)
It's the same situation as with locally modified files. Of course, it should be allowed.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

this sounds interesting, an Updater is such an useful thing, maybe a special .ISO image file for "Update Only" can help with the updater thing?

Like:
1.-The Updater downloads latest "Update.iso".
2.-The image file comes ready to extraction and installation.
3.-The Updater extracts the files and asks the user the main/root directory of ReactOS.
4.-The Updater does its job...

¿What do you think?

EDIT: Also, the Update.iso could contain the same updater so you can boot and update from CD
milon

Post by milon »

I think that would be useful only for computers that don't have an internet connection. There aren't a whole lot of those, but they do exist.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

jonaspm wrote:this sounds interesting, an Updater is such an useful thing, maybe a special .ISO image file for "Update Only"
Scan help with the updater thing?

Like:
1.-The Updater downloads latest "Update.iso".
2.-The image file comes ready to extraction and installation.
3.-The Updater extracts the files and asks the user the main/root directory of ReactOS.
4.-The Updater does its job...

¿What do you think?

EDIT: Also, the Update.iso could contain the same updater so you can boot and update from CD
Sadly is not so simple. The guy who wants to update from 0.3.12 to 0.3.15 needs an update.iso totally different than the one who wants to update from 0.3.13 to 0.3.15. Now imagine updating from one revision to other. That's the reason we have to create a specific package depending on the version that user has installed.
Instead an .iso is much simpler to create and manage a .zip or .cab file.
sergio_nrg

Post by sergio_nrg »

Hi! I think the system should updated as follows:
1. Server make a list of all files from current trunk build and using information from SVN add version number for each file.
2. Client asks server for list of files that have changed since building of current system, download and check their md5-hash.
3. On next reboot (before load kernel), loader moves old files in specified folder, make a copy of registry and copies new files to system folder.
4. If first load failed, loader automatically restore previous versions of files.
Of course, at the same time with update service need to create recovery service.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

sergio_nrg wrote:Hi! I think the system should updated as follows:
1. Server make a list of all files from current trunk build and using information from SVN add version number for each file.
2. Client asks server for list of files that have changed since building of current system, download and check their md5-hash.
3. On next reboot (before load kernel), loader moves old files in specified folder, make a copy of registry and copies new files to system folder.
4. If first load failed, loader automatically restore previous versions of files.
Of course, at the same time with update service need to create recovery service.
Yeah something similar was proposed. But it can be done via .diff files or via replacing the whole binaries...
Anyway, Naums is the Developer :)
naums

Post by naums »

I've read some of your posts, and wanted to say a thing here. Don't make it to complicated at first. The Updater should work, okay. When it crashes the system in 95% of all update-processes - then there are bugs, which have to be squashed. But it'll be a pretty straight forward updater at first. And one thing "The loader copies files and if the first boot didn't work it rescues the system". Well no. There are several mistakes in your thinking. First: I will not rewrite the loader and I will not hack stuff, just to get a system to work (again), which will most probably crash during establishing the WinSocks or HTTP-Connections to the server.

If there are files that have been modified by the user, he will probably not want to update the system at all - and espacially not with my updater. The first thing: there is no user-interaction involved while updating. The User will start the updater and it does it's job. The User will not decide which files have to be updated and which not. He will most likely break the system by doing that.

The last post in this thread is about a month ago. But for any further writers: Don't do the second step before the first. I hope to have a working trial for Chemnitzer Linux Tag (Chemnitz's Linux days) on 16th March.

There are two things I'd like to know: What attributes does freeldr.ini take for Ros? -> SystemPath. Kernel? Hal/hal? Please tell me the right writing. By the way, these information have to be in the wiki, not on forum. Could someone(tm) take care of that.

I want to add a thing:
And in version 3.0 we can implement a BITS technology so the downloads are done on idle moments not stealing bandwith when the user is "using"it.
ReactOS crahes when I start Opera and begin doing stuff with it. How exactly will Ros manage to stay up long enough to even get when the bandwidth ain't used? Please think in proportions - Ros ain't anywhere near usable - so why should the "first" versions of my Updater? 3.0 is still in the future, but don't dream that much... Stay in here and now.

Regards
Naums
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

you can do it in windows .
naums

Post by naums »

Dave3434 wrote:you can do it in windows .
... and Update Windows with ReactOS binaries. Great idea. What sense does it have to write a updater for ReactOS, which only works in Windows? It has to work under ReactOS for it to have any sense at all.

PS: How exactly do I edit freeldr.ini under Windows, when there is nothing like freeldr.ini or boot.ini with Win7?
milon

Post by milon »

Dave3434 wrote:you can do it in windows .
I think that what you're trying to say is that an OS updater is a part of Windows, so an OS updater should be part of ReactOS.

The goal is to make ReactOS like Windows, yes. No one is saying we're not going to have an updater; just that ROS isn't ready for that yet. Just like a thousand other things that it's not ready for.
naums

Post by naums »

Why is ReactOS in your Opinion not ready for an Updater? What functionality of WinAPI is missing? As I discovered lately - the network code seems to have become really solid and stable.

Regards
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Update what, exactly? Someone would have to create updates to download, which definitely seems like a waste of time at this point. It's not necessary to create patches to allow users to update alpha software. Let's not create more work for the dev team until we have a stable product that people actually use for more than testing before we add in the ability to update the OS without reinstalling it.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.