Reactos Update (Was: ReactOS applications needed?)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Reactos Update (Was: ReactOS applications needed?)

Post by vicmarcal »

naums wrote:bubble notifications. Tray icons are implemented... :)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/es-es/library ... 85%29.aspx
Basically a CreateWindow call with TOOLTIPS_CLASS
milon

Post by milon »

naums wrote:Why is ReactOS in your Opinion not ready for an Updater? What functionality of WinAPI is missing? As I discovered lately - the network code seems to have become really solid and stable.

Regards
My mistake, then. Honestly, I only assumed ROS wasn't there yet. But great work, naums! :D
That's really awesome!
naums

Post by naums »

Okay, I can see the hate of all you guys coming to me... That's pretty bad.

One thing I wanna add: at first, there will no "diffs between a prev. revision" be. This would end in having many files so many times at the server's and noone needing it, because everyone updates to the latest revisions. Also this might be a little heavy on the server, when it has to calculate the new files, from a file in the past, with ten thousand diffs. (See Video Codec H264 and you'll see what I wanted to say here)
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

In that case it is still necessary to create 2-3 updates per each and every revision (deleting the older ones of course) - for -rel (not used as of now), -dbg, -dbgwin. But yes, it's easier to store just the latest few patches. I believe the patcher could use more powerful assymetric compression method than LZMA, but that's a little bit further in the future than CLT (or probably even 2013).
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

naums wrote:Okay, I can see the hate of all you guys coming to me... That's pretty bad.

One thing I wanna add: at first, there will no "diffs between a prev. revision" be. This would end in having many files so many times at the server's and noone needing it, because everyone updates to the latest revisions. Also this might be a little heavy on the server, when it has to calculate the new files, from a file in the past, with ten thousand diffs. (See Video Codec H264 and you'll see what I wanted to say here)
I dont think someone hates a guy helping actively this project. If such, tell me and I will use my "hammering powa". Now, seriously, it was a misunderstanding and I am pretty sure there wasnt intended a personal-hater attack.
Anyway, i have my GUI wanted to be coded...could you give me some clues about the possibilities the user has from Commandline?
naums

Post by naums »

At first, do a argv[0] --check -> so the updater just checks for new revisions, and an update-Button. (argv[0]).
naums

Post by naums »

Hey there.

First things first: I wanted to get finished sometimes soon - well - I wanted to get finished about 3 months ago. Since then I at least ran the server-Exe successfully and I can remember running the client exe under Linux successfully without updating anything. There are still some things I wanna get straight before you can destroy my updater by using it. First thing to do when the updater is "finished" is to swap the system(wget ...)-Calls with something socket-like and an ordinary HTTP-Request. Well....

What is holding me back: To say two words: Ubuntu One. I feel as I already fixed some of the now occuring bugs. It's really frusting for I'm not quite sure, why and what killed my work. I guess it was Ubuntu One, which didn't check the code out properly. Therefor, if someone is reading, who can do me this favour: please give me an own Svn-Repository. I hope to be a little more flexible in fixing bugs and reversing to old revisions if needed, than with Ubuntu One. Then there are still some problems with testing the updater under ReactOS. Ros ain't usable for daily work or testing purposes whatsoever. Using Notepad++ is horrible, building takes forever and opening files... well... lets say it not quite usable. What did I expect.

So. I am still working on the Updater and I hope to get it done in first version this August, but I can't promise. Please, do me the favour and create an svn-somewhere on ReactOS-infrastructure, where only I have write access (and maybe an admin ;))

Thank you very much for your patience. I can't wait too, to see it work finally.

Regards Naums
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

You could help yourself by checking your own code with cppcheck or PVS-Studio :)

http://cppcheck.sourceforge.net/

http://www.viva64.com/en/pvs-studio/
milon

Post by milon »

naums wrote:... Therefor, if someone is reading, who can do me this favour: please give me an own Svn-Repository...
There's a lot of free SVN repos:
http://www.google.com/search?q=free+svn
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

See Video Codec H264 and you'll see what I wanted to say here
B- and P- frame dereferencing causes too much overhead. And they use differential prediction.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
naums

Post by naums »

Hey people.

PS: i'd better make it red, so someone might read the text.

I will stop work on ReactOS Updater. My spare time in the last months got even less, than before - so I think I won't be able to finish the program some times soon. I guess it's better, to drop it from my side, publish the code here and let you guys browse through it, destroy it, just go wild.

Usage: build with "make server" or "make client". Run the server-part in any directory, a webserver can publish the files. --> You'll need that webserver, so the client-side can download these files. You will need wget to run the client's side - which downloads stuff and crashes somewhat near there.

There are a few directories you might want to create for server and client-side:

Code: Select all

/bootcd
/cache
/cache/files
copy the config-files to the directory you will run the server/client of. Edit in client-Configfile, the server you want to download the files from.

The Code:
http://ubuntuone.com/0qfKE07EhpxgbbsYlDJmPm

Regards Naums
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Sad news :/ but hope you are ok :)
Linuxgamer94

Post by Linuxgamer94 »

I dought an update server can work on ROS as it does not realy work in Windows. You have to update Windows and all the other programs one by one. That is a pain, Linux and Unix based OS's can update React OS is based on NT so I dought it can update. Even if it does it will problay break everything.
Things React OS needs:
Live CD installer
Wine 1.6
Graphical installer
real games
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Yes, an APT-like package manager will ease users's software installation, but is is important that we can only serve free software, even if a non-free software flawlessly works, we cannot include its updates in our repos. (build principle again)
It's an application that meant to update the operating system - not the user-installed software. The Windows version works just fine (I use it frequently myself). The ReactOS one will be no different once it's built.
No need for that, a good package manager can update the OS too. The important thing is Windows and ROS updaters does not need to be compatible(but MSI support needed), no one will try to install a Windows update onto ReactOS.
Last edited by erkinalp on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
milon

Post by milon »

Linuxgamer94 wrote:I dought an update server can work on ROS as it does not realy work in Windows. You have to update Windows and all the other programs one by one. That is a pain, Linux and Unix based OS's can update React OS is based on NT so I dought it can update. Even if it does it will problay break everything.
I think you missed the entire point of Windows Update (and by extension, of ReactOS Update). It's an application that meant to update the operating system - not the user-installed software. The Windows version works just fine (I use it frequently myself). The ReactOS one will be no different once it's built.