Is UEFI nessisary for ReactOS? Otherwise lets support it.

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

classicgamelover85

Is UEFI nessisary for ReactOS? Otherwise lets support it.

Post by classicgamelover85 »

My friend tells me that quote "better make sure ReactOS Supports UEFI secure boot if you're going to get a new laptop or pc" Is it really necessary? If it is, then lets not leave it out.
Dave3434

Re: Is UEFI nessisary for ReactOS? Otherwise lets support it

Post by Dave3434 »

it's not needed.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

it is not needed at all
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

UEFI support is not currently needed for ReactOS - all PC motherboards still support BIOS booting. If there are any that don't I would be interested in knowing - the day they drop BIOS booting methods is the day they drop the last shred of "IBM PC" compatibility.

The so-called Secure Boot (Important: it does *not* secure anything!) is a whole other can of worms. At present, Motherboards with that mis-feature have the option to disable it. Also, at present any ReactOS user already needs to know enough about their hardware that changing this option is a minor thing.

Keep in mind the only current way to support SecureBoot is for your OS/Bootlader to be blessed by the almighty Microsoft with a special super-secret digital signature. Yes, Microsoft controls this. That aught to be illegal. I don't know how they get away with this.

In the long run, the problem is secure boot will prevent users from causally booting non Microsoft blessed OSes from CD/USB on machines that are not theirs. They may not have permission to change settings.
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

Please note that mainboard manufacturers are free to implement methods to import custom keys. I don't know how many mainboards support this though...

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

this UEFI is only in windows 8 based systems windows 7 vista xp and so on didn't demand this.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

The UEFI must be supported by mainboard in first place, but AFAIK all can be switched to BIOS -> not necessary or critical for ReactOS.
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

Dave3434 wrote:this UEFI is only in windows 8 based systems windows 7 vista xp and so on didn't demand this.
No, you are wrong. UEFI is older than Windows 8 and Windows Vista and 7 are compatible with UEFI boot. For example my father has a UEFI based mainboard which is from aronud 2011.

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer